Stephen Jones podcast with Ed Werder, doesn't seem happy with JG

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Yeah, so we run and then force the Eagles to burn a timeout or let the clock run down. We then move to 3rd down and still have a shot to score. We should have ran on 1st down too. We could have passed on 3rd down.

They were playing for a TD ie playing to win. You were playing keepaway ie playing not to lose. Martyball. It's not as foolproof as you think it is.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
They were playing for a TD ie playing to win. You were playing not to lose Martyball style. It's not as foolproof as you think it is.

So running on 1st and 2nd down would mean we wouldn't be playing for a TD, i.e. playing to win? All Zeke's short yardage touchdowns means we have been playing to lose?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
So running on 1st and 2nd down would mean we wouldn't be playing for a TD, i.e. playing to win?

When they have ten men in the box and we are at the 7 yes you are more concerned about them getting the ball then scoring a TD. It's also known as playing scared.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
When they have ten men in the box and we are at the 7 yes you are more concerned about them getting the ball then scoring a TD. It's also known as playing scared.

Yeah, when we have time to burn, I would like our offensive line that took 4 years to build and the #4 overall draft pick selected to create a dominant running game used in that situation. Man up and shove it down their throat 2 times in a row. Don't go shotgun. We bleed clock, we get closer to goal line and we have options on 3rd down, to include pounding them some more and potentially even going for it on 4th down. But, that would be playing to lose apparently.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Yeah, when we have time to burn, I would like our offensive line that took 4 years to build and the #4 overall draft pick selected to create a dominant running game used in that situation. Man up and shove it down their throat 2 times in a row. Don't go shotgun. We bleed clock, we get closer to goal line and we have options on 3rd down, to include pounding them some more and potentially even going for it on 4ht down. But, that would be playing to lose apparently.

Then you look at their front 7 and them adding 3 more to it including very good S.

It's one thing to run into 8 man fronts as Zeke can make the unaccounted for guy miss but running into 10 man boxes and expecting success just indicates an ignorance as to what run schemes try to do. You have multiple guys unaccounted for.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Then you look at their front 7 and them adding 3 more to it including very good S.

It's one thing to run into 8 man fronts as Zeke can make the unaccounted for guy miss but running into 10 man boxes and expecting success just indicates an ignorance as to what run schemes try to do. You have multiple guys unaccounted for.

So we are incapable of going mano y mano against them with our dominant running game, and then being able to pass on 3rd down? The only way we could have ever scored a TD in that situation was to pass 3 straight times? Is that what you're trying to tell me?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
So we are incapable of going mano y mano against them with our dominant running game, and then being able to pass on 3rd down? The only way we could have ever scored a TD in that situation was to pass 3 straight time? Is that what you're trying to tell me?

It's not mano y mano. It's mano a manos. That is the point you are not getting.

And I never said that it was impossible but they were selling out against the run. The pass call was into an extremely advantageous front. Dak screwed up.

Blaming the coaches for taking advantage of what the defense is giving them because you are afraid of them getting the ball is pathetic IMO.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
It's not mano y mano. It's 7 on 10. That is the point you are not getting.

And I never said that it was impossible but they were selling out against the run. The pass call was into an extremely advantageous front. Dak screwed up.

Blaming the coaches for taking advantage of what the defense is giving them because you are afraid of them getting the ball is pathetic IMO.

LOL You can think it is pathetic as much as your heart desires. When we stop getting burned in those situations, I'll reconsider the strategy. Right now it is causing more harm than good.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
LOL You can think it is pathetic as much as your heart desires. When we stop getting burned in those situations, I'll reconsider the strategy. Right now it is causing more harm than good.

Yeah because we never had any success with that top 5 scoring offense. . . . .

The playcall was playing to win and was taking what the defense gave them. The playcall did not call for Dak to throw into triple coverage.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Did I say that? Try to figure out the context before being a smart alleck.

You are acting like since the Eagles did it that is what should be expected. And it helps to explain the context I missed else it's a throwaway line.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Yeah because we never had any success with that top 5 scoring offense. . . . .

The playcall was playing to win and was taking what the defense gave them. The playcall did not call for Dak to throw into triple coverage.

If you feel the play calling and management of the clock after the 2 minute warning is fine then so be it. I don’t and your smart *** comments aren’t going to change that. Being a top 5 scoring offense has nothing to do with strategically managing the clock, which is a weakness of this staff. We rarely misuse the clock to our benefit, although it has happened once last year, where we scored and was able to get the back back before the half.

The Philly game is one example .Yes, Dak threw a bad pass, I also think it was stupid to throw on both 1st and 2nd down. Failure there ensures we would also be passing on 3rd down leaving Philly plenty of time to score themselves. You may call trying to take what the defense gives you and attempting to score without “being afraid of the other team getting the ball back” trying to win. I call it poor clock management with our sorry defense that is prone to give up quick scores and has made it more difficult for our team to win.

It is also misusing timeouts when not necessary and spiking the ball when not necessary that has allowed teams time to comeback when allowing the clock to run still gives the Cowboys an opportunity to score a TD and milk clock at the same time.

We had year another instance of clock management burn the Cowboys when the Cowboys passed on 2nd and 2 with 1:24 left against GB’s tired defense. That stopped the clock when we should have ran Zeke and kept the clock running. We score on next play and Rodgers does his thing, putting an L in the loss column.

And, yes, I am aware that was a lengthy drive. It was a great drive up until the 2nd down pass play which saved time for GB to come back and win the game.

Playing to win, we were.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
If you feel the play calling and management of the clock after the 2 minute warning is fine then so be it. I don’t and your smart *** comments aren’t going to change that. Being a top 5 scoring offense has nothing to do with strategically managing the clock, which is a weakness of this staff. We rarely misuse the clock to our benefit, although it has happened once last year, where we scored and was able to get the back back before the half.

The Philly game is one example .Yes, Dak threw a bad pass, I also think it was stupid to throw on both 1st and 2nd down. Failure there ensures we would also be passing on 3rd down leaving Philly plenty of time to score themselves. You may call trying to take what the defense gives you and attempting to score without “being afraid of the other team getting the ball back” trying to win. I call it poor clock management with our sorry defense that is prone to give up quick scores and has made it more difficult for our team to win.

It is also misusing timeouts when not necessary and spiking the ball when not necessary that has allowed teams time to comeback when allowing the clock to run still gives the Cowboys an opportunity to score a TD and milk clock at the same time.

We had year another instance of clock management burn the Cowboys when the Cowboys passed on 2nd and 2 with 1:24 left against GB’s tired defense. That stopped the clock when we should have ran Zeke and kept the clock running. We score on next play and Rodgers does his thing, putting an L in the loss column.

And, yes, I am aware that was a lengthy drive. It was a great drive up until the 2nd down pass play which saved time for GB to come back and win the game.

Playing to win, we were.

I think running into ten man boxes from the 7 is stupid. That is doubly so when you have a QB that had been playing at the level that Dak was that year.

And that spike did nothing to detract from our ability to win. That has been demonstrated statistically over several iterations.

On the one hand we have the understanding how run games are executed and statistical analysis. On the other is blind ideology.

And against GB our defense had gotten a pick and a punt the previous two possessions. We had sacked Rodgers on that final drive. Nevermind that GB still had two timeouts when that drive was over and ended the game with one timeout remaining.

Given the timeout situation, the only way to run out the clock was to get a first down; then we could have run out the clock forcing them to use their final timeouts. I know you think that running into 8+ man boxes is a panacea but the reality is that GB still would have had a timeout to stop the clock after Heath sacked him giving them time to get the field goal off.

Really all I get from your posting is that you are terrified of Aaron Rodgers.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I think running into ten man boxes from the 7 is stupid. That is doubly so when you have a QB that had been playing at the level that Dak was that year.

And that spike did nothing to detract from our ability to win. That has been demonstrated statistically over several iterations.

On the one hand we have the understanding how run games are executed and statistical analysis. On the other is blind ideology.

And against GB our defense had gotten a pick and a punt the previous two possessions. We had sacked Rodgers on that final drive. Nevermind that GB still had two timeouts when that drive was over and ended the game with one timeout remaining.

Given the timeout situation, the only way to run out the clock was to get a first down; then we could have run out the clock forcing them to use their final timeouts. I know you think that running into 8+ man boxes is a panacea but the reality is that GB still would have had a timeout to stop the clock after Heath sacked him giving them time to get the field goal off.

Really all I get from your posting is that you are terrified of Aaron Rodgers.

And I get that you are afraid to have us line up in power running formation and pound the rock after investing so many resources on building a dominant running game. Oh my god, they’re trying to stop Zeke...can’t run now. Pansy football

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
And I get that you are afraid to have us line up in power running formation and pound the rock after investing so many resources on building a dominant running game. Oh my god, they’re trying to stop Zeke...can’t run now. Pansy football

Who said he couldn't run?

It's called taking what the defense gives you. Running into 10 man boxes against an elite front 7 and S pair from 7 yards out isn't going to net you 7 points moreso than passing the ball. We weren't running the ball consistently when they were playing us straight up. The eagles were selling out against the run. The team was trying for the best chance for a TD given the distance and defensive formation.

And that wasn't even Aaron Rodgers but instead rookie Wentz who was dink and dunking that you are scared of.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Who said he couldn't run?

It's called taking what the defense gives you. Running into 10 man boxes against an elite front 7 and S pair from 7 yards out isn't going to net you 7 points moreso than passing the ball. We weren't running the ball consistently when they were playing us straight up. The eagles were selling out against the run. The team was trying for the best chance for a TD given the distance and defensive formation.

And that wasn't even Aaron Rodgers but instead rookie Wentz who was dink and dunking that you are scared of.
End result we are down 10-7 instead of up 10-7 or 14-7.

Go shotgun, spread them out, and try to score quickly, give them the ball because we are scared our offensive line and Zeke isn’t good enough to gain yards from 6 yards out. We would prefer zero yards and stopping the clock with an incomplete pass.

Yeah, great reason to have first round draft picks littered in the running game. You give Garrett credit for that? Building something he is afraid the use. It’s even more asisine now.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
You are acting like since the Eagles did it that is what should be expected. And it helps to explain the context I missed else it's a throwaway line.

Not what I meant at all. Why are you such an angry little fellow?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Not what I meant at all. Why are you such an angry little fellow?

Who said I was angry?

Protip: its possible to argue without being angry.

So then what did you mean then in pointing out that the Eagles won with backups?