Stephen Jones podcast with Ed Werder, doesn't seem happy with JG

fairviewfarmer

Reaction score
Stephen watched Philly happen without its starting QB, LT, MLB, RB, and CB.

The Dak stuff was based purely on hope. There is nothing about Dak so far that remotely resembles Troy Aikman. Troy had a powerful and accurate arm and he was most comfortable in the pocket. That is the polar opposite of Dak.
Troy struggled some in 1990 (his second year) ....Out went Dave Shula, In came Norv Turner and suddenly Troy looked like he knew how to play......

Dre11

Reaction score
No, you try to keep up. You're trying to do an end run around the subject, but like you said....no if's, and's or buts......
We're talking only 3 winning seasons out of 7 and only 2 of those 3 were earned. And 2 out of 7 stinks.

Follow the context of the conversation, AV and I was talking 8-8, you stuck your foot in it and was out context.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Well I am not hopeful for our chances as long as Jerry is GM but at least this is hope for the future under Stephen Jones.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Took him 4 years to learn to run the football. Now we just need him to learn to run the football in the red zone instead of passing 3 straight times. Maybe he can even realize the shotgun, empty backfield set on 3rd and short isn't a good idea. Garrett is slowly getting the to point even he should be learning. I wish we could speed up his learning curve a bit.

It's more like it took him several years to rebuild the offensive line. Which he did pretty well don't you think?

It's always amazing how much coaches are overrated. Talent trumps coaching every day and twice on Sundays.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
You're right. I want him fired because he won't learn. Actually, he can't even admit it is a problem and that's worse than not being able to learn. So get used to the whining since the ****** will continue making it more difficult for the team to win. But, you should have job security, being paid to come on here and defend his bad decisions.

He won't learn? That is asinine. He doesn't make the same mistakes with clock management if nothing else.

What this reads like to me is that he won't do what you want him to do.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
He won't learn? That is asinine. He doesn't make the same mistakes with clock management if nothing else.

What this reads like to me is that he won't do what you want him to do.

Let me restate. He doesn't believe he is making mistakes. I have confidence he could actually learn, if he felt there was something to learn from. And, yes, you read correctly. I would like him to do a better job of preventing avoidable possessions for the opponent. Congratulations.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Let me restate. He doesn't believe he is making mistakes. I have confidence he could actually learn, if he felt there was something to learn from. And, yes, you read correctly. I would like him to do a better job of preventing avoidable possessions for the opponent. Congratulations.

I think you mistake his belligerence and coyness with the press with an inability to admit mistakes.

You want him to learn a conclusion? That is not how things work but okay.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
It's more like it took him several years to rebuild the offensive line. Which he did pretty well don't you think?

It's always amazing how much coaches are overrated. Talent trumps coaching every day and twice on Sundays.

We ran well in 2013 and still abandoned the run. He did do a good job of building the line, and now we need to get the staff to use it and the RB in crucial situations. Maybe 4 more years.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I think you mistake his belligerence and coyness with the press with an inability to admit mistakes.

You want him to learn a conclusion? That is not how things work but okay.

However they work, when we have time to kill at the end of the half, ball in the red zone, I don't want the offense passing 3 straight times leaving time for the opponent. Whatever you want to call that, I want him to correct that. I call it piss poor clock management and not leaning on the strength of the team. If that is too much to ask, I want another head coach.

Last edited:

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
We ran well in 2013 and still abandoned the run. He did do a good job of building the line, and now we need to get the staff to use it and the RB in crucial situations. Maybe 4 more years.

He doesn't trust rookies is what I get out of 2013 when Leary and TFred first came on the scene. Mackenzie Bernadeau was a limited player. Nevermind that was bad Doug Free out there.

He trusted Romo more.

Really though blaming Garrett for not running the ball as if that would make up for a historically bad defense is an interesting way to interpret that season.

I remember Ernie Sims Cam Lawrence Nick Hayden Martez Wilson Orie Lemon Drake Nevis Everette Brown Darius Wynn and the gimp Demarcus Ware.

That we got 8 wins with that defense is quite remarkable given all of the above either started multiple games or were key rotation players if not both.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
However they work, when we have time to kill at the end of the half, ball in the red zone, I don't want the offense passing 3 straight times leaving time for the opponent. Whatever you want to call that, I want him to correct that. I call it piss poor clock management and not leaning on the strength of the team. If that is too much to ask, I want another head coach.

That series was broken down with expected points and it was a wash. I know you think you have a solution but your plan was no more fool proof than the one they went with.

Running the ball is not a panacea.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
He doesn't trust rookies is what I get out of 2013 when Leary and TFred first came on the scene. Mackenzie Bernadeau was a limited player. Nevermind that was bad Doug Free out there.

He trusted Romo more.

Really though blaming Garrett for not running the ball as if that would make up for a historically bad defense is an interesting way to interpret that season.

I remember Ernie Sims Cam Lawrence Nick Hayden Martez Wilson Orie Lemon Drake Nevis Everette Brown Darius Wynn and the gimp Demarcus Ware.

That we got 8 wins with that defense is quite remarkable given all of the above either started multiple games or were key rotation players if not both.

I don't blame him for not running in 2013. You mentioned it took him several years to build a line. I pointed out we were running well even before the line was completely built. Was just pointing out we were running well, yet still abandoning the running game.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
That series was broken down with expected points and it was a wash. I know you think you have a solution but your plan was no more fool proof than the one they went with.

Running the ball is not a panacea.

We do it too often. We built that great line you mentioned earlier. We spent the #4 overall pick on a running back and we too often start passing the ball into the end zone throwing incomplete passes when running the ball (which is our strength) would be more beneficial in melting clock and probably more likely to result in touchdowns considering it's the strength of the offense. It's the reason why I jumped off the Garrett bandwagon in 2016 after 5.5 years of defending the guy. We spend the first 28 minutes of the halves playing ball control offense and then seem to preserve time for our opponents in the final 2 minutes. With a defense prone to give up quick scores in these situations, we still save time for our opponents.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I don't blame him for not running in 2013. You mentioned it took him several years to build a line. I pointed out we were running well even before the line was completely built. Was just pointing out we were running well, yet still abandoning the running game.

With a defense that bad we had to score points. Running the ball is a recipe for not losing by as much and not for winning in that scenario.

Him passing the ball and scoring points is what got us to 8-8 with a historically bad defense.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
We do it too often. We built that great line you mentioned earlier. We spent the #4 overall pick on a running back and we too often start passing the ball into the end zone throwing incomplete passes when running the ball (which is our strength) would be more beneficial in melting clock and probably more likely to result in touchdowns considering it's the strength of the offense. It's the reason why I jumped off the Garrett bandwagon in 2016 after 5.5 years of defending the guy. We spend the first 28 minutes of the halves playing ball control offense and then seem to preserve time for our opponents in the final 2 minutes. With a defense prone to give up quick scores in these situations, we still save time for our opponents.

We have had a top 5 scoring offense with Zeke.

And running the ball is not more likely to result in TDs. Running in the end zone sure --which we have done in spades-- but passing overall is what score points.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
With a defense that bad we had to score points. Running the ball is a recipe for not losing by as much and not for winning in that scenario.

Him passing the ball and scoring points is what got us to 8-8 with a historically bad defense.

And so often he would get up in the press conference after the game and say they needed to run the ball more only to continue abandoning the running game and repeating they needed to run the ball more often.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
We have had a top 5 scoring offense with Zeke.

And running the ball is not more likely to result in TDs. Running in the end zone sure --which we have done in spades-- but passing overall is what score points.

I'll agree to disagree now. We won't change each others minds.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
And so often he would get up in the press conference after the game and say they needed to run the ball more only to continue abandoning the running game and repeating they needed to run the ball more often.

Your vague recollections of Garrett pressers from 5 years ago are not compelling.

Garrett doesn't admit mistakes to the press. What he would say are throw away cliches like "the running game is important" which is not the same thing.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Your vague recollections of Garrett pressers from 5 years ago are not compelling.

Garrett doesn't admit mistakes to the press. What he would say are throw away cliches like "the running game is important" which is not the same thing.

K, thanks