Stephen Jones says Cowboys being 0-5 without Tony Romo is 'unacceptable'

Sydla

Reaction score
This situation is clearly different than the last two, when the team quit on Switzer and Wade. That hasn't been the situation here. Plus we have an MVP Caliber player out for the entirety of this 5 game skid.

Jerry didn't fire Jimmy after losing five in a row twice in a season.

This is an interesting post. You started by saying you can't make the comparison that was made because the situations were different.

But then end the post by saying they didn't fire Johnson after losing 5 games in a row twice in the same season. Of course that happened in the very first season Johnson coached so, to use your analysis, the situations are clearly different.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Are you implying Campo had a talented team? Go actually look at Campo's roster and compare it to our current roster. Aikman was pretty much done and it was his last year. Campo didn't have any 1st round draft picks his first two year thanks to the Joey Galloway trade.

To think that Campo's teams were anywhere close to our current roster in talent is completely wrong.

I said the defense was pretty good not the overall club even with Aikman one year.

No need to look at the individual players. Those teams ranked in the bottom third on defense except the last year when they were 13th. Considering the terrible offenses those are decent numbers esp the latter. They gave up no more that 361 pts the worst year and the low 300s the other two. The defense had Woodson, Williams, Ellis, Dat, Coakley, and Glover along with some avg starters. The corners weren't very good.

The 2002 team lost by an avg of 7 PPG even with terrible offenses including an OC named Coslet. They only scored 217 in 2002 yet won 5 games which is fairly remarkable.

silver

Reaction score
I for one don't think Stephen is giving Jason & Co a pass for this losing streak. Lose the next two and they're gone at the end of the year. He even quoted Bill Parcells to make his point. Jason is officially on notice.

Zman5

Reaction score
I said the defense was pretty good not the overall club even with Aikman one year.

No need to look at the individual players. Those teams ranked in the bottom third on defense except the last year when they were 13th. Considering the terrible offenses those are decent numbers esp the latter. They gave up no more that 361 pts the worst year and the low 300s the other two. The defense had Woodson, Williams, Ellis, Dat, Coakley, and Glover along with some avg starters. The corners weren't very good.

The 2002 team lost by an avg of 7 PPG even with terrible offenses including an OC named Coslet. They only scored 217 in 2002 yet won 5 games which is fairly remarkable.

That should tell you Campo did more with less players than JG.
JG can't even win with a team with multiple probowl elite players and 1st round talents this year.

I know Romo is great but any descent coach should be able to win a game or two against teams that are playing at .500 or worse with the current team. Even without Romo.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So losing all games w/o Romo is acceptable? If not, what do you foresee being done about it?

Acceptable? I'm not sure how much acceptance matters. But I'll just keep saying what Ive been saying. It's not just Romo who's been out. We need to get more takeaways and not turn the ball over ourselves. And we have to improve the ST protection and coverage units. That's what I'd do about it.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
This is an interesting post. You started by saying you can't make the comparison that was made because the situations were different.

But then end the post by saying they didn't fire Johnson after losing 5 games in a row twice in the same season. Of course that happened in the very first season Johnson coached so, to use your analysis, the situations are clearly different.
Each situation was clearly different. At no point did I say that they were the same.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Acceptable? I'm not sure how much acceptance matters. But I'll just keep saying what Ive been saying. It's not just Romo who's been out. We need to get more takeaways and not turn the ball over ourselves. And we have to improve the ST protection and coverage units. That's what I'd do about it.

So as a coach that is what you would do about it. What's Garrett doing about it is the question.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score

I will submit to you that the only significant chess piece missing in that Seattle game was Romo and it made all the difference in the world. Our two wins with Romo were no example of taking care of the ball which you seem to be suggesting is ailing what is prevent wins along with bad ST performances but that didn't stop the team from finding a way to win the first two weeks... no sir, the difference is Romo being in the game.

Last edited:

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
That should tell you Campo did more with less players than JG.
JG can't even win with a team with multiple probowl elite players and 1st round talents this year.

I know Romo is great but any descent coach should be able to win a game or two against teams that are playing at .500 or worse with the current team. Even without Romo.

We haven't finished the season yet. Campo never won more than five games. Garrett has always won at least eight. You guys want to hang someone anyone as if that makes it better.

Zman5

Reaction score
We haven't finished the season yet. Campo never won more than five games. Garrett has always won at least eight. You guys want to hang someone anyone as if that makes it better.

Campo also never lost 5 in a row. I thought that was the topic we were discussing.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Is 0-7 without Romo acceptable? No one of significance is getting fired over this so obviously it is acceptable. Prove me wrong, Stephen.

LOL yur right, it is obvious it is acceptable!

I think he was sending a message that the jones boys are not happy with all this losing, just not sure who he is sending it to.
Maybe JG, maybe the players, and other coaches.
Jerry isnt happy ! lol and Stevie couldnt take it and left!
Jerry_losing.jpg

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So, coaching has nothing to do with these losses? Ok.

Coaching has had nothing to do with it.

Why is it so hard to accept that the team has been diminished early in the year by injury and by an inability to take the ball away?

Junglist

Reaction score
Coaching has had nothing to do with it.

Why is it so hard to accept that the team has been diminished early in the year by injury and by an inability to take the ball away?

Why is it so hard for you to admit there have been coaching errors this season that have contributed to our losses? It's not just one thing.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why is it so hard for you to admit there have been coaching errors this season that have contributed to our losses? It's not just one thing.

There are coaching errors in every game for every team. I've pointed several of the issues I've seen with the coaching in Dallas out in multiple threads. So your argument is a bad one.

It doesn't change the fact that a coaching deficiency is not the problem in Dallas right now.

silver

Reaction score
It is nice to wish for that to be the case, but he's not in any danger of being fired. Zero. None.

I seriously doubt that. He goes 0-7 without Romo and he's gone. Unacceptable is what it is

NumOneQB

Reaction score
At least one of the Jones' clan says something worth a damn during this losing streak. If this team is constructed to win a Super Bowl, they should be able to win at least ONE game during this stretch without Romo.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
On Wednesday, Stephen Jones will say being 0-6 is really really unacceptable.