Twitter: Stephen: McCarthy will absolutely be back in 2021

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

Mike McCarthy will be the Cowboys coach in 2021. "There will be absolutely no change with coach McCarthy," executive Vice President Stephen Jones said on 105.3 The Fan, adding, "If you look at his track record and pedigree, he's consistently won year in and year out, and we have the utmost confidence this ship is going to be righted quickly."

i

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer

Weeeeeeee!
But, our 2022 draft pick number will improve.
Bloody, good choicr, Jerry! You arecrazy as a FOX host!
This is great!
I won't criticize anyone from sitting out 2021 with this junior varsity coach, but we could be in line for a great draft haul in 2022!
Thanks, Big Mac!

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I'm perfectly fine with him coming back. He deserves at least another season (how about a normal season?) to try and right the ship. Nolan, however, I think should be sent packing. While I understand our defense is extremely devoid of talent, I'd rather just start from scratch on that side of the ball.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LMAO

Status quo incoming.

We're going to have a typical offseason.. Probably get Dak signed.. Our upgrades will be some rookies.. Heck we might even bring in Earl Thomas next year and talk about all of the work he's put in off the field to make himself better.

New defensive coordinator so we have a scapegoat for this season and everyone gets fired up about the new guy...

All so we can be mediocre.. Maybe a little better or a little worse with no real shot at doing anything in the post season.

Yaaaaaaay. Another year of the same.
We were 4-12 in 2015 with a lot fewer injuries and without having to transition to a new coaching staff under unusual conditions that didn't allow the normal transition time, and then 13-3 the next seaso. So, why can't their be notable improvement from this year to near, especially if people get healthy?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Mike McCarthy will be the Cowboys coach in 2021. "There will be absolutely no change with coach McCarthy," executive Vice President Stephen Jones said on 105.3 The Fan, adding, "If you look at his track record and pedigree, he's consistently won year in and year out, and we have the utmost confidence this ship is going to be righted quickly."

i

He deserves at least another year. All the injuries, bad DC. Time for a new DC though. I hope he sees the light on that front.

DCowboyz

Reaction score
We suck this year. But I mean he lost his starting QB and basically the whole OL. The D hasn't been 100% either. I'm not surprised.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I'm perfectly fine with him coming back. He deserves at least another season (how about a normal season?) to try and right the ship. Nolan, however, I think should be sent packing. While I understand our defense is extremely devoid of talent, I'd rather just start from scratch on that side of the ball.

Just think.
Other lesser teams with lesser coaches have done wonders with less.
Your "normal" season excuse is to be filed under "lame excuses."

EJK24

Reaction score

I agree with this. I'm okay with MM getting another season with hopefully a normal off season and alot less injuries, but no way Nolan should be brought back. He hasn't done anything to show that he can get this thing headed In the right direction even. When your historically bad, your low on talent but coaching doesn't get a free pass because of it.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Great thing for Jerry is that the bar is lowered, so a return to .500 will be viewed as progress.

I don't think .500 will be acceptable if our offense returns healthy and we don't suffer a significant amount of injuries to the starters. If we hadn't lost the line and Prescott and were still playing like this, McCarthy probably wouldn't last more than this season (although we might blame Nolan and give him one more year with a difference DC).

I know a lot of fans want to ignore the circumstances of this season, but it's impossible to do. The offense with all the major injuries that it has had is doing what should be reasonably expected. The defense should be better by now, at least in the front seven. It was reasonable for its play to have been poor the first few games as it adjusted to a new scheme without a preseason, but there's no excuse for it being almost as bad now. It would be different if teams were picking apart a secondary that has fallen apart, but the front's failings against the run should do Nolan in.

I hope, though, that the Joneses don't see it only as a coaching failure because this defense badly needs a talent infusion.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
On a day when Stephen Jones said head coach Mike McCarthy will return in 2021, defensive coordinator Mike Nolan said he has not given thought to his future as the Cowboys’ defense has struggled this season, allowing the most points and rushing yards in the NFL so far. “I just take it a day at a time anyway,” he said. “I’d prefer not to answer the question just because it’s not what’s on my mind.”

i

Kingofholland

Reaction score
I don't know why there was much doubt here.

1) Amount of injuries
2) Short offseason
3) Prior coaching success

Are all reasons he would be back. If things do get off to a slow start though he's likely on a short leash. I'm very curious what happens with Nolan. I just hope he isn't back as defensive coordinator.

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
I don't know why there was much doubt here.

1) Amount of injuries
2) Short offseason
3) Prior coaching success

Are all reasons he would be back. If things do get off to a slow start though he's likely on a short leash. I'm very curious what happens with Nolan. I just hope he isn't back as defensive coordinator.

you sound like Jerry. Those are excuses. Every team has had to go through that with the exception of prior coaching success. We have a new coach (who’s coached before so I don’t know why he’s coaching like he’s never coached before). So really we have no excuse.

MikeB80

Reaction score
Its incredibly asinine to fire a coach after one year.

however there are exceptions and to me this is one. This is a bad team with a bad staff and should be torn down and built the old way.

now I know that is not happening and I am already prepared for the 5 months of self promoting how good they are after they draft a corner or two next year and bringing all the hurt guys back.

so next year going into the thanksgiving week when they are like 4-6 remember that everyone wanted to stay the course and give it the ol college try.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
McCarthy had a HOF at QB and only won one Superbowl. He is not the coach some make him out to be. Rodgers carried McCarthy like Romo carried Garrett.

McCarthy is a bum and I hope the Jones's figure that out sooner rather than later.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
you sound like Jerry. Those are excuses. Every team has had to go through that with the exception of prior coaching success. We have a new coach (who’s coached before so I don’t know why he’s coaching like he’s never coached before). So really we have no excuse.

Maybe I am ; )

Beast_from_East

Reaction score

i

Of course Big Mike is coming back, only a complete idiot would think otherwise. Here is a list of reasons why.

1. Covid prevented any meaningful offseason activities, training camp, or preseason games.
2. Starting QB went down for the season, that is as close to an automatic pass in the NFL as it gets for head coaches.
3. Massive injuries to the offensive line, pretty much lost every starter at some point.
4. They didnt have the defensive personnel to run the new schemes, Jerry even admitted they should have held off on that.