Twitter: Stephen: McCarthy will absolutely be back in 2021

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Of course he will be back.

There will have to be a re-vamping on defense including coaches and players. With all the guys coming back on offense, they should be ok. They will need to draft a couple of o-lineman, but the focus should be on defense

Wasn’t Nolan supposed to “fix” the defense?

plasticman

Reaction score
This is at the heart of what has been wrong with the Cowboys for 25 years. I'm not talking about retaining McCarthy, I can go along with a reset, given this season's circumstances.

What I have always found alarming is the fractured chain of command. The decision to hire and fire assistant coach's should be the Head Coach's alone. If he can't be trusted to make those kind of decisions then why is he the "Head" Coach?

Assistant coaches in Dallas realize they don't have to impress their immediate supervisor, their "boss", the Head Coach. They only have to impress his boss, the GM, who happens to also be the owner. The same goes for the players which undermines ALL the coaches. This basically destroys the HC's authority.

So you have assistant coaches with the ability to go behind the HC's back, which was Wade Phillip's problem as a HC who was also the DC, but with no authority over the offensive unit. Garrett reported directly to Jerry Jones as an OC prior to 2011. This culminated in 2010 when the team imploded during the first half of that season..

So....if you have the DC and the OC reporting to the same person, what is typically his title? Now we have Stephen Jones in addition to Jerry usurping the typical authority of the HC. McCarthy was doomed before he even began, he just didn't realize it. It won't be long before this relationship sours.

75boyz

Reaction score
This is at the heart of what has been wrong with the Cowboys for 25 years. I'm not talking about retaining McCarthy, I can go along with a reset, given this season's circumstances.

What I have always found alarming is the fractured chain of command. The decision to hire and fire assistant coach's should be the Head Coach's alone. If he can't be trusted to make those kind of decisions then why is he the "Head" Coach?

Assistant coaches in Dallas realize they don't have to impress their immediate supervisor, their "boss", the Head Coach. They only have to impress his boss, the GM, who happens to also be the owner. The same goes for the players which undermines ALL the coaches. This basically destroys the HC's authority.

So you have assistant coaches with the ability to go behind the HC's back, which was Wade Phillip's problem as a HC who was also the DC, but with no authority over the offensive unit. Garrett reported directly to Jerry Jones as an OC prior to 2011. This culminated in 2010 when the team imploded during the first half of that season..

So....if you have the DC and the OC reporting to the same person, what is typically his title? Now we have Stephen Jones in addition to Jerry usurping the typical authority of the HC. McCarthy was doomed before he even began, he just didn't realize it. It won't be long before this relationship sours.

So very true.
And whenever questioned about the absence of a non Jones GM over the years Jerry has jokingly stated that he would have fired himself years ago based on the team's lack of winning titles. He has also described this unique chain of command set up as an advantage to him so as to eliminate a middleman GM of responsibility. So the ultimate accountability hot potato of team performance will continue to be lateraled back and forth in the media by blaming either the infamous Jerry, Steven and McClay trio or the Godfather himself.
Ultimately, and to the average fan, lines of accountability for this continuing mess remain somewhat blurred but rest assured final decisions are still Papa Coach Jerry's and his alone.

It's the Cowboy Way and the on field product has appropriately reflected this same dysfunction for the past quarter century.
As advertised.

Last edited:

DuncanIso

Reaction score
cro·ny·ism
/ˈkrōnēˌizəm/

noun
DEROGATORY
  1. the appointment of friends and associates to positions of authority, without proper regard to their qualifications.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I regret the handwriting on the wall about you...

Say, that reminds me re handwriting; you should view or revisit the Robert Ryan-narrated "World War I." Great symphonic music. The series presages so much of WWII. Eerie.

Most symphonic music is played in the key of Bb#7/9 minor, that's why it sounds so cool.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
So the train wreck continues....
yep !! we can look forward to more triple reverse fake punts on our own 20 lol
and going for it on 4th on our own 20.
and him not calling a TO to avoid a penalty for delay of game on a fg try !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah cowboys will be exciting next year lol.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Arizona had just hired a HC, and signed a top qb, but didnt like what they were seeing, so they fired the HC, drafted a new QB, and the team
is now a playoff team....well maybe , but it was a smart move, and a bold move and the team improved.
the jones boys cant do that, they will stick with their guys for 10 years before making a change.
Which would be ok if I could live to be 2-300 years old lol , but at the jones boys rate , I wont live to see another good cowboys team!
All I am gonna see is crap like last year and this year.

blueblood70

Reaction score
ahh to the crying Cowboy fans that think he would be let go.poor babys

c315a4d816280a1cbf1153a7add6f7f2.jpeg

Mannix

Reaction score
-----Moore has done a great job with what he has had.

With what he has had? You sticking with that?

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
yep !! we can look forward to more triple reverse fake punts on our own 20 lol
and going for it on 4th on our own 20.
and him not calling a TO to avoid a penalty for delay of game on a fg try !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah cowboys will be exciting next year lol.
AND SEAN LEE (THE LEECH NOT THE SNAKE) REMAINS ON THE TEAM.