Twitter: Stephen: Not enough momentum to get deals done in training camp

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
It made perfect sense here.

Zeke was drafted for Romo and that 2014 team that was on the cusp. Murray was gone, so a new bellcow was needed. It was ideal. That Dallas team was not your typical team drafting 4th overall. They were good and come off a season without their starting QB.

However, it doesn't make sense for a team like the Giants. You don't rebuild with a running back and no offensive line or QB in place.

Trust, I completely understand the reasoning and I mean, you always tell yourself that it's a great idea, once you decide to go a certain way right but there is a reason why you don't do this. I mean, you set these rules up because it is so attractive to try and make a decision like this. I mean, you want to right? The problem is that they usually cost you in the end. Not always but usually and that's why you create these kinds of rules. It's what Parcells was so very good at. You are doing to try and save yourself IMO.

lostar2009

Reaction score
To be honest Amari and Dak is good but not great. So I wouldn't be trying to pay them record breaking top money. Zeke is the only player who is worth a record deal. I dislike the way Zeke is going about wanting a new contract and the off the field issues,I dunno. Every year it's some damn circus when they have high hopes for a playoff run. Add in the fact Zeke is a no show may straight up demolish this teams chance for a SB. If you factor all this together I would say Zeke may be worth trading, too much of a head case. Get a mid level back then pay Dak and Amari accordingly.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I think Zeke gets done.

I think Dak wants a big deal, but the Cowboys really don't want to do that right now.

I think the Cowboys would really like to lock Amari up, but he doesn't want to do anything right now.

All that sounds like exactly what YOU want to happen. Cowboys, other than Cooper are probably the opposite there.

Toomany10pins

Reaction score
i do not think that jones is being cheap he is being patience and making sure that he makes the right deal for the team in long run.
Full disclosure, I’m a Seahawks fan so I don’t have a dog in this fight (players vs ownership).

I don’t think Dallas’ front office is being cheap. They have a salary cap to work under and realize they will be tight against the cap if they sign their big 3. They are trying to balance a very good team vs cap hell for future years. Now are the cowboys FO/ownership good at doing that? I think that’s debateable.

This is the exact situation the salary cap is designed to induce eventually for every team. My team just went thru this with the exodus of the historic LOB.

You build thru the draft and Dallas has been pretty good at that lately.

plymkr

Reaction score

Speaking on 105.3 The Fan in Dallas, executive vice president Stephen Jones said he does not believe there is enough momentum to finalize deals with Dak Prescott, Amari Cooper or Ezekiel Elliott while the Cowboys are in Oxnard, California, for training camp. The Cowboys break came in Oxnard on Aug. 15 before heading to Hawaii for their preseason game on Aug. 17 against the Los Angeles Rams.

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer

In other late breaking news, Jerry Jones doesn't have enough saliva in his mouth and he makes a smacking noise when he talks.

Brax

Reaction score
I think getting a deal done with Amari will have to look like an "overpayment". Of all of the players, he and his agent seem most resolved in waiting it out and playing through the season, even with the risk of injury.

If I had to guess, I'd say Dak and his agents cave in and sign a deal prior to the start of the season and their player risking injury. I don;t think they have the same resolve on that front that Cooper does. Besides, Cooper is already making $14 million this year. Dak? Just $2 million and change.
I would tend to agree with you, Top 5 money for a not top 5 QB would be more than fair as Dak is not near the top 10 let alone the top 5 as for Zeke top 2 and Cooper top 5 is likely correct but based on the last 3 seasons not so sure but Dallas gave up a 1st so not signing him will really hurt for 1.5 seasons if he goes FA so I have to say you are correct Cooper is 1st priority with Zeke a close second.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Not enough momentum on a handful of fronts? Sounds like there's more standoffs than what this Cowboys' organization is able to handle. They sorely need to take the bull by the horns and do something to facilitate movement. Movement won't always happen by standing pat and waiting for the other guy to do something. Maybe some other team will get a RB injured in an upcoming preseason game to jump start trade discussions? Anyhow, these stalemates are frustrating, to say the least. I'm also hoping Cooper and the FO finally decide to create some movement ASAP.

John813

Reaction score
To be honest Amari and Dak is good but not great. So I wouldn't be trying to pay them record breaking top money. Zeke is the only player who is worth a record deal. I dislike the way Zeke is going about wanting a new contract and the off the field issues,I dunno. Every year it's some damn circus when they have high hopes for a playoff run. Add in the fact Zeke is a no show may straight up demolish this teams chance for a SB. If you factor all this together I would say Zeke may be worth trading, too much of a head case. Get a mid level back then pay Dak and Amari accordingly.

The NFL is funny when it comes to certain players.

Olivier Vernon was a good player in Miami. Had a good 2nd year, but sort of faded his 3rd and 4th year instead of building on his 2nd year. His final year in Miami he played alongside a Prime Wake and Suh. He was a big letdown that year.

IIRC he had some bonehead roughing the passer calls early on that I think sealed the loss against the Jags and only finished with 7.5 sacks.

Got rewarded with the highest paid contract for a DE by the Giants.

Sammy Watkins got 16mil per, for... I think potential? Or maybe the Chiefs read his college scouting report and thought it was from the Bills?

Otherwords, in todays NFL with the rolling cap, and some teams that have money to burn, some good players will get paid like they are great.
Dak being a QB will be guaranteed to get a huge deal. Cooper may as well since he had several big games for Dallas and looks to build upon it this year.

I don't think either right now can get record breaking money, but they will get paid highly, by the Cowboys or someone else.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Then how is it we have three of the highest paid offensive lineman in the league, and Lawrence just banked?

New England is cheap. They pay nobody.

Brady is cheap because he wants rings and has a wife that is worth three times what he is.

erod

Reaction score
Brady is cheap because he wants rings and has a wife that is worth three times what he is.
They don't have a top five paid player at any position. We're about to have 7-8 of them.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
They don't have a top five paid player at any position. We're about to have 7-8 of them.

They have the most players making 4-8 million a season because of Brady's actions on salary. I listened to a discussion om this just yesterday.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think Zeke is first. I don't even think Amari wants a deal right now. He wants to test the market.
That’s my sense as well. Cooper is due to receive like 13 million this year. He’s not worried.

And Dak could be pushed out as well. No, I think Elliott is the more pressing contract at hand.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think Zeke gets done.

I think Dak wants a big deal, but the Cowboys really don't want to do that right now.

I think the Cowboys would really like to lock Amari up, but he doesn't want to do anything right now.
This is the growing popular sentiment . I agree.