Twitter: Stephen nugget on Tyler Smith via PFT podcast

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I don't think you want Tyler kicking over to LT any time soon. Maybe as he absorbs more coaching but if Tyron misses any games the 1st half of the season Tyler is probably a liability if they kick him out. keep him at guard as long as possible and hope his penalty issues are covered.

Agree to a point, but would add that Tyler is Tyron's heir apparent and should spot some snaps at LT. It will be interesting to see if we spend on a veteran swing Guard or Tackle.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
All 'position flex' isnt the same, if we took Zion (and used him as a CENTER) for example he'd be moving from Guard to a more technical position. The view on Smith is that his traits and physical abilities will play in more confined Guard position (meaning less penalties) whilst he gets acclimatised to the big boy league.

What we overlook is that he's young (only just turned 21) and therefore 2022 will be somewhat developmental ....for the majority of that time as a Guard and get his toe's wet when Tyron goes down.

Just not a fan of getting tons of reps, sets, and technique in one position— only to move him to another position and do it all over again.

Some guys can do it. Larry Allen. Micah Parsons etc…. I think it can stunt the development of other players sometimes.

If a guy has played multiple positions in college— then sure— you have a baseline to work from. And if you like the traits of an OT and want him to be a G— fine. Put him there and make the change.

What I am advocating against mostly is what apparently we want to do with Smith— start him in a new position and get him reps as a swing OT.

Go and sign another OT. Let the kid learn G bc he has never played it before and we need him to play well as a starter this year.

If you want him as a LT at some point— make the decision and then give him an offseason to train and focus on it.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
FWIW— I have heard Nate Newton on the podcast talk about how changing positions along the OL is more difficult and nuanced than would appear at first.

Believe it was back when they moved McG to LG and were also talking about Collins potentially going back to LG from RT and Nate was basically saying they should just let the guy learn one position and keep him there… Personally I don’t know much about the intricacies of all that would be involved— but I respect Nate’s opinion as someone who knows what he’s talking about

Agree, but Tyler's position is LT, in effect his position flex is to Guard....I think we all can see that developing his hand placement in training and working it out in the less demanding/more confined area of a Guard is pretty manageable. Even if his technique is found wanting, his physical abilities and tenacity will (at Guard) hopefully mask any issue.

The problem maybe when he eventually moves to LT, but at that point (Dec 2022 or start of 2023) he'll have a taste of NFL and been able to use his improved technique.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Just not a fan of getting tons of reps, sets, and technique in one position— only to move him to another position and do it all over again.

Some guys can do it. Larry Allen. Micah Parsons etc…. I think it can stunt the development of other players sometimes.

If a guy has played multiple positions in college— then sure— you have a baseline to work from. And if you like the traits of an OT and want him to be a G— fine. Put him there and make the change.

What I am advocating against mostly is what apparently we want to do with Smith— start him in a new position and get him reps as a swing OT.

Go and sign another OT. Let the kid learn G bc he has never played it before and we need him to play well as a starter this year.

If you want him as a LT at some point— make the decision and then give him an offseason to train and focus on it.

The reason for it is that his abilities at this moment should be able to plug and play at LG.....if it's seen that his weakness is his hand placement then as Nate (I think it was him mentioned on one of the Podcasts) should be able to rectify it pretty quickly.

It may turn out that his size and nastiness is more suited to Guards than LT......some people point out that on his tape it possibly looks as if he moves like a Guard.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Agree, but Tyler's position is LT, in effect his position flex is to Guard....I think we all can see that developing his hand placement in training and working it out in the less demanding/more confined area of a Guard is pretty manageable. Even if his technique is found wanting, his physical abilities and tenacity will (at Guard) hopefully mask any issue.

The problem maybe when he eventually moves to LT, but at that point (Dec 2022 or start of 2023) he'll have a taste of NFL and been able to use his improved technique.

As a LT he is raw when it comes to his technique… Lots of work to do on his hand placement, footwork etc…

They needed a G— so they took him at 24 because they had to— and they have justified it by making it more valuable by viewing him as a future LT.

The situation now is to put him at LG, and they are hinting at him being a swing tackle— with an eye towards kicking him out to LT full time when Tyron retires.

Maybe the kid will be fine… I hope he will be. I just think we are asking a player who already needs a lot of development to handle and process a lot right off the bat when he would be better served focusing on one position and mastering that.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
The reason for it is that his abilities at this moment should be able to plug and play at LG.....if it's seen that his weakness is his hand placement then as Nate (I think it was him mentioned on one of the Podcasts) should be able to rectify it pretty quickly.

It may turn out that his size and nastiness is more suited to Guards than LT......some people point out that on his tape it possibly looks as if he moves like a Guard.

I am fine with him getting put at LG. That was the need we had and the reason we drafted him at 24 and where he fits on the roster.

I am simply taking issue with them hinting at him being a swing tackle and giving him two positions to master off the bat. He is a raw prospect… sign a damn vet swing tackle or develop Ball or Waletzko and move the kid out there once Tyron retires if they want to.

I think “jack of all trades master of none” approach will hurt his development at both positions early in his career.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
As a LT he is raw when it comes to his technique… Lots of work to do on his hand placement, footwork etc…

They needed a G— so they took him at 24 because they had to— and they have justified it by making it more valuable by viewing him as a future LT.

The situation now is to put him at LG, and they are hinting at him being a swing tackle— with an eye towards kicking him out to LT full time when Tyron retires.

Maybe the kid will be fine… I hope he will be. I just think we are asking a player who already needs a lot of development to handle and process a lot right off the bat when he would be better served focusing on one position and mastering that.

But that's what we want....play at LG and work on your hand technique (whilst getting acclimatised to the NFL) and IF the situation arises then he could (with his knowledge of the LT position) get the nod over Josh Ball. lets be fair we still need some veteran cover at (swing) Tackle and Guard (unless Zack, in an emergency, is prepared to move across to LG for a couple of games to allow McGovern to play RG).

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I am fine with him getting put at LG. That was the need we had and the reason we drafted him at 24 and where he fits on the roster.

I am simply taking issue with them hinting at him being a swing tackle and giving him two positions to master off the bat. He is a raw prospect… sign a damn vet swing tackle or develop Ball or Waletzko and move the kid out there once Tyron retires if they want to.

I think “jack of all trades master of none” approach will hurt his development at both positions early in his career.

I initially disliked the Smith pick as I saw him as a 'Tweener, and ended up as not being either at the next level. It now appears that we're getting a potential LT that's physical abilities (with a bit of training on the hand placement) could plug and play at LG. He at least gets experience of NFL, and after all he's only just turned 21.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I think if you actually read I said it was a small sample size and you play against who you are put in against
He also played well in pre season too
Give me a break. Playing against third string nobodies isn’t doing anything.

when he gets out there and can hold up against the best in the nfl I will be impressed.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Well, of course this is what they would like to happen. Simply words at this point. Kid has to get on the field and prove he's viable at "a" position before we worry about multiple positions. Talk to me about where he should play after TC & pre-season. For now, it's empty calories.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
McGovern has the same problem Williams had, not enough core strength.

I don't know how you reached this conclusion. McGovern showed himself to be very capable from a strength standpoint & was routinely getting push in the running game & holding the point in pass pro. Whatever flaws exist in his game aren't related to strength.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Agree to a point, but would add that Tyler is Tyron's heir apparent and should spot some snaps at LT. It will be interesting to see if we spend on a veteran swing Guard or Tackle.

Call me when he's ready. All draft picks are taken because they show something teams are looking for but they do not all work out. Maybe he does develop into a good or better tackle, but that is still a maybe. What I know as of today is his 1 attribute that made him look good is his strength and that will get minimized by good defensive players. Now playing LG could/should minimize his lack of technique while he continues to develop but that also means he isn't getting tons of reps at LT and that is what he will need in order to take over. So to me imho he plays mostly if not all snaps at LG this year and next camp should get more in depth training at LT. With practices so limited I just don't know if he can get enough reps at both this year.

mahoneybill

Reaction score
Understand here (trying to put this nicely) that Stephen really does not know what he is talking about. He is not a coach. He cannot evaluate talent. He is just talking and feeding his media craving addiction again. About three months from now we will start getting an idea of what Tyler has and what he can give the Cowboys this season. That info will not come from the mouth of a Jones but from coach's comments and results on the field.
----

Nice summary and so true. We shall see in preseason what he has. Expect the usual camp focus on he did this well, etc. Until its against someone he hasn’t faced we won’t
know..

conner01

Reaction score
Give me a break. Playing against third string nobodies isn’t doing anything.

when he gets out there and can hold up against the best in the nfl I will be impressed.
Sure
Like the player shouldn’t play good against who they are put in against
Man you are a piece of work
You complain about a player playing well because of who the team decided to play them against
By your theory of judging guys only 20 or so players on your team are worth having, the rest are just junk
No reason to bother drafting a guy late because if he plays well against the only nfl players he gets to play against then that doesn’t count

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Sure
Like the player shouldn’t play good against who they are put in against
Man you are a piece of work
You complain about a player playing well because of who the team decided to play them against
By your theory of judging guys only 20 or so players on your team are worth having, the rest are just junk
No reason to bother drafting a guy late because if he plays well against the only nfl players he gets to play against then that doesn’t count

Im not the guy salivating over 23 snaps against third stringers. Lol

let the kid earn it.