Twitter: Stephen nugget on Tyler Smith via PFT podcast

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
KEEP HIM WHERE HE'S AT, YOU'RE MESSING WITH THIS ROOKIES LEARNING, I'm tired of this. You have guys you mentioned to play swing tackle, let them do that! Keep him learning one spot!
Of course when they talk about him playing tackle the idea isn't just to fill the role as swing tackle, it's to develop him to take over the LT spot full time in a few years. In the meantime, if he were playing OG, and Tyron Smith was out for a game or two, I'm sure they would plug in someone else, but if Smith went down for a big part of the season they may well consider accelerating his switch to OT.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I don’t think you can say Biadasz is not the favorite to be center but I’m high on Farniok
We didn’t get to see much of him but what we did see was impressive
I would not be shocked to see him be in the conversation at center or at the swing
He may not be either but I liked the little bit we did see of him and he’s someone I’m looking forward to seeing in camp

When was he impressive? I must have missed all that. I just want the best center, but this Biadasz hate and Farniok love is getting ridiculous.

Its not like this is the QB position where you can understand the emotion.

Jfconrow

Reaction score
It’s hard to imagine a OT pulling. If he’s a dancing bear I’d probably try to keep him at LG. Otherwise teach him to play LT. I guess you want him on the field as a first round pick but he’ll make mistakes switching around positions. I guess there’s nothing you can do about that, but then why didn’t they draft an OG/C. Instead they drafted another OT. So I’m confused now.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Hey you, how is the kid going to do something, as you say, if he never touches the field? We have plenty of gameday footage on both Badiasz and McGovern. Neither one has been very impressive, IMO. So, if we want to put our best five out there, then we need to find out who our best five are. Am I right?

McGovern has the same problem Williams had, not enough core strength. Badiasz is only good when blocking straight up the field. When he has to slide over and get across a defenders face he struggles. So I know these guys have limitations. I seen no such limitations from Farniok thus far. Farniok has good feet, good strength, he slides well, and he can get to the second level. You just haven't been paying attention.

I could care less who starts. Best guys. But no, Biadasz has played just fine for a first year starter. But Im just laughing because Farniok was some 6th round pick and has done absolutely nothing. I understand people want to pretend he did, but he hasnt.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
why can't we kick tyron inside if he comes back healthy and smith is doing his thing at LT?

tyron is making 17 million this year I believe and missing games yearly. He is a guy that needs replacing. I would think as soon as he can be replaced by a guy on a rookie deal he would be gone.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s hard to imagine a OT pulling. If he’s a dancing bear I’d probably try to keep him at LG. Otherwise teach him to play LT. I guess you want him on the field as a first round pick but he’ll make mistakes switching around positions. I guess there’s nothing you can do about that, but then why didn’t they draft an OG/C. Instead they drafted another OT. So I’m confused now.
I think people mistakenly think about it as just flipping back and forth constantly, and him staying confused. I don't think that's how it would be planned at all. They may work him at both positions early on, but if he ends up the starting LG the likelihood is he will stay there unless Tyron Smith gets hurt and misses an extended time period. If Tyron were to only miss a few games my bet is they would keep him at LG and let someone else be the short term fill in at LT.

Verdict

Reaction score
FWIW— I have heard Nate Newton on the podcast talk about how changing positions along the OL is more difficult and nuanced than would appear at first.

Believe it was back when they moved McG to LG and were also talking about Collins potentially going back to LG from RT and Nate was basically saying they should just let the guy learn one position and keep him there… Personally I don’t know much about the intricacies of all that would be involved— but I respect Nate’s opinion as someone who knows what he’s talking about
I really appreciate your reply. And I’m not knocking it. Nate doesn’t seem to be the sharpest crayon in the box and it seems like he just says things offhand. On the other hand you would “think” that he would be in a position to know a little bit about it. LOL

I guess I am saying “thank you for the post, I’m just not sold on Nate’s intelligence on the subject”.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
I really appreciate your reply. And I’m not knocking it. Nate doesn’t seem to be the sharpest crayon in the box and it seems like he just says things offhand. On the other hand you would “think” that he would be in a position to know a little bit about it. LOL

I guess I am saying “thank you for the post, I’m just not sold on Nate’s intelligence on the subject”.

Totally understand your perspective on Nate lol

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
“Position flex” is a Garrett holdover philosophy and it is vastly overrated. Vastly. Other than making it easier to decide on your active 46 and 53 man roster on paper— what has it actually yielded in terms of on field production?

And it definitely gives rookies too much to process early on. Parsons is the exception— not the rule— but I fear his success last year at mastering multiple positions will only embolden this FO to deploy a flawed strategy

It’s one of those management strategies that look amazing on paper, but have tons of consequences that weren’t fleshed out. The fact that they’re still doing it a decade later is appalling.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Yet Tony Wise moved Nate from RG to RT and then to LG. Moved Kevin Gogan from RT to RG. Hudson Houck moved Larry Allen from RT to LG. Tuinei played about every position after being a DT and finally settled at LT. They did it more then than they do now.

Cowboys had better strategy, teaching, development and production under Jimmy.

Not a single 1st rounder in any of the great OL under Jimmy.

kskboys

Reaction score
Anyone else read the title and think Stephen Watsoned poor Tyler?

Kingofholland

Reaction score
He's gotta earn that starting LG spot from McGovern and company first. I would hope he upgrades the spot though.

sbark

Reaction score
Chaz Green Deja's vu all over again

Recollect Green more than holding his own at LG, then they kicked him out to LT....
And that was 3 years into career
We all know the rest of the story

....and now they wanna do it to a rookie
But....scored a 30....maybe can handle it

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I try to not get too worked up or be overly critical of the front office. But, there is obviously something wrong, exemplified by the lack of playoff success for over 26 years. Maybe this affinity for position flex over other position attributes is one of the reasons. Maybe a big reason?