Twitter: Stephen nugget on Tyler Smith via PFT podcast

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
“Position flex” is a Garrett holdover philosophy and it is vastly overrated. Vastly. Other than making it easier to decide on your active 46 and 53 man roster on paper— what has it actually yielded in terms of on field production?

And it definitely gives rookies too much to process early on. Parsons is the exception— not the rule— but I fear his success last year at mastering multiple positions will only embolden this FO to deploy a flawed strategy
He is the future LT. He will nto start there because of Smith. Like Tyron didn't start at LT.

What is confusing you?

conner01

Reaction score
When was he impressive? I must have missed all that. I just want the best center, but this Biadasz hate and Farniok love is getting ridiculous.

Its not like this is the QB position where you can understand the emotion.
I expect Biadasz to be better this year
Last year was his first camp and first season
Farniok besides pre season played 23 snaps on offense and played well
Small sample size but he played well in the snaps he was given
Biadasz Will going into camp as the favorite and if I’m right that he’s better after his first full camp and season then he will likely win the job

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I expect Biadasz to be better this year
Last year was his first camp and first season
Farniok besides pre season played 23 snaps on offense and played well
Small sample size but he played well in the snaps he was given
Biadasz Will going into camp as the favorite and if I’m right that he’s better after his first full camp and season then he will likely win the job

Sorry, when did Farniok play well? What are you talking about? 23 snaps?

conner01

Reaction score
Sorry, when did Farniok play well? What are you talking about? 23 snaps?
He played 23 snaps during the season last year
On top of his snaps in pre season
It’s not something that’s top secret

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Stephen is what Jerry would be if Jerry wasn't a habitual gambler. Basically, nearly all the same failures without the twice a decade payoff in players who will never win something.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
He played 23 snaps during the season last year
On top of his snaps in pre season
It’s not something that’s top secret

apparently because you can’t tell me when he played. You claim he played well and you don’t even know when?

I know when he played just want to see if you actually know.

conner01

Reaction score
apparently because you can’t tell me when he played. You claim he played well and you don’t even know when?

I know when he played just want to see if you actually know.
He played in falcons game, Washington and eagles games
You know you can see offensive and ST stats including snap counts on every player
There is video of plays in eagles game in Landry hat you could watch

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
He is the future LT. He will nto start there because of Smith. Like Tyron didn't start at LT.

What is confusing you?

Nothing is confusing me lol… I just think asking a rookie to learn multiple positions is asking too much and can stunt their development. Is that confusing to you?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
He played in falcons game, Washington and eagles games
You know you can see offensive and ST stats including snap counts on every player

yep mostly against the eagles at the end against 3rd and 4th string guys.

sorry not impressed. 23 snaps wow!

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
It’s one of those management strategies that look amazing on paper, but have tons of consequences that weren’t fleshed out. The fact that they’re still doing it a decade later is appalling.

Agreed. They think they are the smartest people in the room. And have precious little to show for it

conner01

Reaction score
yep mostly against the eagles at the end against 3rd and 4th string guys.

sorry not impressed. 23 snaps wow!
I think if you actually read I said it was a small sample size and you play against who you are put in against
He also played well in pre season too

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I suspect Stephen is rushing his inclination to use Tyler at LT so early. It's very likely due to the injury concerns of Tyron. Otherwise, the smartest way to handle Tyler's training regimen might be to allow him to master LG first before switching him prematurely to LT. It's easy to see why he would be tempted to make Tyler a versatile wonder as a rookie. To me, it bears a look of overanxiously prodding him to be overtaxed.

Last edited:

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Nothing is confusing me lol… I just think asking a rookie to learn multiple positions is asking too much and can stunt their development. Is that confusing to you?
Most rookies learn more than one position.

What NFL are you watching?

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
I could care less who starts. Best guys. But no, Biadasz has played just fine for a first year starter. But Im just laughing because Farniok was some 6th round pick and has done absolutely nothing. I understand people want to pretend he did, but he hasnt.
Why do you dislike Farniok?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
At the PC they said then that he would get reps at both positions on the left side.

Good. If we had done that with Connor Williams, he would have given us better options filling in for Tyron than we've had a lot of time over his tenure.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
KEEP HIM WHERE HE'S AT, YOU'RE MESSING WITH THIS ROOKIES LEARNING, I'm tired of this. You have guys you mentioned to play swing tackle, let them do that! Keep him learning one spot!
Agreed. He needs some serious work on technique and leverage if they plan on using him this year. Having him learn two positions as a rookie and expecting him to start is ridiculous.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
KEEP HIM WHERE HE'S AT, YOU'RE MESSING WITH THIS ROOKIES LEARNING, I'm tired of this. You have guys you mentioned to play swing tackle, let them do that! Keep him learning one spot!

I disagree.. He’s a pro athlete and they spend hours every day working on this.

We need a good left tackle in Tyrons absence and now we have a solid prospect.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I disagree.. He’s a pro athlete and they spend hours every day working on this.

We need a good left tackle in Tyrons absence and now we have a solid prospect.

I agree....just make sure he's ready coz NFL players show no mercy at all, SEE the late Reggie White vs Larry Allen as a rookie (lol).

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
“Position flex” is a Garrett holdover philosophy and it is vastly overrated. Vastly. Other than making it easier to decide on your active 46 and 53 man roster on paper— what has it actually yielded in terms of on field production?

And it definitely gives rookies too much to process early on. Parsons is the exception— not the rule— but I fear his success last year at mastering multiple positions will only embolden this FO to deploy a flawed strategy

All 'position flex' isnt the same, if we took Zion (and used him as a CENTER) for example he'd be moving from Guard to a more technical position. The view on Smith is that his traits and physical abilities will play in more confined Guard position (meaning less penalties) whilst he gets acclimatised to the big boy league.

What we overlook is that he's young (only just turned 21) and therefore 2022 will be somewhat developmental ....for the majority of that time as a Guard and get his toe's wet when Tyron goes down.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Most rookies learn more than one position.

What NFL are you watching?

Please tell me you aren’t seriously referring to special teams as equivalent to learning the techniques of multiple starting positions.

You’re not doing that? Right?