Stephen on "All-In" - "We spend max, max money year in and year out

Flamma

Reaction score
When we've tried to do that, we made poor decisions on personnel. Brandon Carr, Jaylon, Crawford, Zeke. And there are many more.
I am well aware of his terrible signings and trades of the past. But any self respecting football person tries to get better, not quit altogether.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
I hate that one of the front offices I think do the best job is the team we hate the most… Philly.

SF a close second.

I’d root for Baltimore to win 20 titles because at least we know Dallas isn’t on their level. KC doesn’t do a great job in the FO IMO. Mahomes makes up for a lot of weaknesses.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I hate that one of the front offices I think do the best job is the team we hate the most… Philly.

SF a close second.

I’d root for Baltimore to win 20 titles because at least we know Dallas isn’t on their level. KC doesn’t do a great job in the FO IMO. Mahomes makes up for a lot of weaknesses.
Just think 3/4 years ago Howie Roseman's job was on the line after Wentz was traded. The only Lurie didn't fire him was coz he didn't wanna hire another GM to clean up Howie's mess. So he gave Howie 1 year and a blank check to clean it up and then he would decide whether or not he would keep his job. That year was Hurts' first year as their starting QB and Brown trade. We all know what happened next.....

Ken

Reaction score

Cowboys EVP Stephen Jones on @1053thefan

on Jerry Jones saying Dallas would be "all in" this season: "Everybody has their own definition of what that means, but I've never not known us to be all in, nor have I known anyone we compete against not to be all in." What does he say to fans that don't believe the Cowboys have been "all in" this offseason? "We spend max, max money year in and year out. All 32 can only spend the same amount of money over a five-year stretch. When we're all said and done, we max out our salary cap every year. We will have done that. What comes with having a good roster, which we do, we're also looking towards signing our own guys. "It doesn't mean it happens overnight. But when you're wanting to sign players like Dak (Prescott) and Micah (Parsons) and CeeDee (Lamb), then you have to hold money back if you want to have a realistic chance of signing those guys."

The sad part was he said the exact same thing on the same exact day that JJ made the "all in" comment and everyone missed it.

I didn't expect a true all in but I also didn't expect them to do less than ever.

1942willys

Reaction score
Just think 3/4 years ago Howie Roseman's job was on the line after Wentz was traded. The only Lurie didn't fire him was coz he didn't wanna hire another GM to clean up Howie's mess. So he gave Howie 1 year and a blank check to clean it up and then he would decide whether or not he would keep his job. That year was Hurts' first year as their starting QB and Brown trade. We all know what happened next.....
That is what happens when you are forced to do your job right.
What we have here is the best example anywhere of the exact opposite.

kskboys

Reaction score
I am well aware of his terrible signings and trades of the past. But any self respecting football person tries to get better, not quit altogether.
HeeHee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are not football people, and I doubt if they have any self respect whatsoever. Someone w/ self respect would easily see that he himself is terrible at what he is doing and would take appropriate actions. Like firing himself.

Jerry has always done this. He tries something, and if it doesn't work he just quits. Except for drafting TE's and CB's and injured LB's, that he just keeps on doing for some very weird reasons.

blueblood70

Reaction score
The irony lol
it's not ironic, somebody has to be the balanced voice of reason.. I mean I am in here in the Dallas when you open this up it literally feels like we've just got through finishing our 3rd 5 and 12 season in a row instead of the opposite it literally just reads this team is the worst team in the league and a total failure and yet we're top six that's the problem... Perspective yes we want more in the playoffs yes we want more success in the playoffs but this team is far from deserving all this crap that I have to open up and read on a daily basis...

the season hasn't even started yet, the games can be debated, the games could be argued for as long as you want because what have some real proof on how we're going to be judged for this season on the rosters.

Not a damn daily reminder of an unfinished roster,

the redundancy is ridiculous, why don't you just post this all under one thread why not just have a single hate the front office and hate the offseason threads and one for dak hate and let them get 10,000 pages long....

so some of us don't have to even see them and then we can at least be a fan here and see offseason the season hasn't started and we're having an all-time meltdown there are far too many negative posts in my opinion,

so yeah I'm going to come in here and speak my mind.... :oldcouple: :popcorn: :thumbdown:

blueblood70

Reaction score
The Eagles mortgage the future to win today. The Cowboys don't. That can lead to lean years. But teams bounce back quick. The Cowboys don't want to have any of those years. When was the last time the Cowboys were under .500 with a healthy starting QB? You have to go back to 2004. But what does that approach get us? Almost contenders?

Stephen forgets we can now look at sites like Spotrac and over the cap to see what they are doing.
Alright, so the people who come on here and say ridiculous things like hey it's been 28 years, we haven't got our 4th Super Bowlin the Jerry Jones era but praise A Team who has one single Super Bowl win since 1960... the irony is ridiculous, the hypocrisy is ridiculous,

this is not the worst or longest drought in the NFL, I mean Kansas City are on a nice run right now but it took them 52 years between their Super Bowl wins... That's just one example because they're the hot team right now and they don't spend a whole lot of money and they're not mortgaging Jack bro... go check what they've done the last three off seasons, show me this aggressive big time blueprint that the Kansas City Chiefs who are beating teams like the Eagles and the 49ers who are the most aggressive...

So when you stop having that green ooze come down the side of your mouth maybe you understand that it's ridiculous to use them as some kind of blueprint when they basically have one Super Bowl since 1960 and Jerry has three since 1989.. Heck, the The Mavericks, stars and Rangers only have three total in their entire existence and yet you think it's so bad and abnormal to have a 28-year drought and to be off cycle, I get the frustration but that's a ridiculous way to view this... I see the fact that the Dallas Cowboys with Jerry Jones has three titles since 1989 show me how many other teams have 3 Lombardi trophies in the same period.. That list I'm predicting will be very short..

It's not about 28 years that's what he's done since he's been here and I realized the frustration about the lack of and if the championship games and even an appearance in the Super bowl but this is just ridiculous dude, we are contenders... It isn't ending well in the playoffs but we are competing for the playoffs... I'm just disappointed and upset as anyone but I see every year as a one off not a culmination of 28 years just like it's week to week during the year it's also year to year to me it's a new year it's time to freaking look forward to 2024 and if it turns out to be another disaster we can discuss it after the season but Jesus people let it go it ended a long time ago when the clock went to zero against Green Bay it's over it's time to shift our focus to September....

Sydla

Reaction score
is the cap zero sum? IOW is space created or destroyed independent of annual cap allotments?

We aren't talking about cap.

We are talking about actual cash spent under the same cap constraints all teams operate with.

Cash spent is cash spent. And over the last decade, the Cowboys have spent less actual cash on their roster than a majority of NFL teams.

Sydla

Reaction score
how is cash expenditure calculated?

what does the base NFLPA db even look like?

my position is taht when it comes to data analysis you are extremely ignorant.
How is cash spent calculated?

Salaries paid (or committed to be paid) in that year + signing bonuses paid + any other non-benefit expenditures (workout bonuses, roster bonuses, incentives).

You keep pretending this data is some sort of complex mishmash of various numbers when in fact, it's actually a fairly simple totaling of money spent.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
I sometimes wonder why I keep supporting and following this franchise. They obviously don't care about winning. I think we are the only organization setup the way it is where the owner and GM are the same person. Stephen Jones is nothing more than nepotism. He was born into money and shows time and time again, he has zero business doing anything football related. I know Jerry is despised but at least he did play football in college and made money himself to get to where he is in the beginning. Stephen is none of that. Born with a silver spoon and has had to prove zero in life to get to where he is. It's one thing if he was just in ownership as that is what business ownership usually entails, nepotism. But he's not, he makes football decisions that affects on the field play. All the Jones should be doing at this point is sitting back, relaxing and letting the biggest brand sports wise in the world make hundreds of millions a year for them. Rake in all the other money for all the other events their stadium holds. Enjoy life with their billions. Let a real GM focus on building the team from the draft, free agency, scouting and trades. And actually enjoy some on the field success on top of your money like any other owner.

But nope, we get the biggest clownshow front office in sports and they have turned this once proud franchise from the 60s-90s into a running joke.

JayFord

Reaction score
Yes, im one of the few that likes Jerry Jones

Stephen however? cant stand him...hes a politician....you know what ALL IN means....and you playing in our faces now..you know all in means getting the best or trying to get the best players out there for a superbowl run

i cant stand this guy...hes as cheap as a resturant general manager

fivetwos

Reaction score
Yeah I guess everyone starts with a level playing field, but it’s how you use and/or manipulate it that makes all the difference.

If 30 people were given all the ingredients to make a chocolate cake with no recipe, they wouldn’t all come out the same.

Maybe one would put raw eggs on top at the end instead of mixing it into the batter.

Not everyone is a talented chef.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
LMAO we hate the Jones but we support the crap out of him. "who are we looking at in the draft?"

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
How is cash spent calculated?

Salaries paid (or committed to be paid) in that year + signing bonuses paid + any other non-benefit expenditures (workout bonuses, roster bonuses, incentives).

You keep pretending this data is some sort of complex mishmash of various numbers when in fact, it's actually a fairly simple totaling of money spent.
That is not ETL. What are the columns in the NFLPA and how were they added. The point is you do not know what the base DBs look like certainly not in that neat format of cash or the one possible breakdown you bring here.

So how did each 2-4 year study calculate it?