Stephen on "All-In" - "We spend max, max money year in and year out

Rayman70

Reaction score
when winning isn't tops on your to do list, it's easy to talk the way Stevie does. Its like getting dressed in the morning. Water is indeed wet, turns out, Stevie is in fact what we thought, a liar. An inept one at that. Just like the way he runs the team.

Chasing6

Reaction score
It's interesting that he's talking about a 5 year window that all teams can only spend the same amount of cash. It might be true that this is how the Cowboys are operating, and it aligns with what they've done over the last 5 years....

2020 - $249M - 3rd in NFL
2021 - $260M - 2nd in NFL
2022 - $192M - 29th in NFL
2023 - $257M - 11th in NFL
2024 - $187M - 32nd in NFL
=$1.145B over 5 years

Lets compare that to the Eagles though...

2020 - $240M - 6th in NFL
2021 - $218M - 9th in NFL
2022 - $226M - 17th in NFL
2023 - $253 - 14th in NFL
2024 - $282 - 3rd in NFL
= $1.219B over 5 years

Granted the 2024 numbers are not completely finished yet, but odds of either teams acquiring major contracts through free agency or trade are slim at this point. Philly on average has spent roughly $15M per year more than the Cowboys over this time that Stephen says all teams spend the same amount.

The only thing that could really change these numbers would be Dallas resigning Dak and/or Lamb to extensions with large up front money later this offseason. This is where Stephen isn't being a complete liar, but on the flip side both of those actions would actually free up cap space for the Cowboys to spend more money. Ultimately Stephen isn't completely lying here, but no matter how they spin the narrative it all comes back to their lack of willingness to spend money, and how they are using the salary cap as a weapon to make people think they are maxing out their money spent. This is why I've said for months now that it's a complete slap in the face to fans if the Cowboys wait until August to sign these guys to extensions. It needed to either happen before free agency opened or not at all.
Almost $100M difference in 2024.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score

Cowboys EVP Stephen Jones on @1053thefan

on Jerry Jones saying Dallas would be "all in" this season: "Everybody has their own definition of what that means, but I've never not known us to be all in, nor have I known anyone we compete against not to be all in." What does he say to fans that don't believe the Cowboys have been "all in" this offseason? "We spend max, max money year in and year out. All 32 can only spend the same amount of money over a five-year stretch. When we're all said and done, we max out our salary cap every year. We will have done that. What comes with having a good roster, which we do, we're also looking towards signing our own guys. "It doesn't mean it happens overnight. But when you're wanting to sign players like Dak (Prescott) and Micah (Parsons) and CeeDee (Lamb), then you have to hold money back if you want to have a realistic chance of signing those guys."

and there we have it, Dak isn't going anywhere!!!

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
The Spin Room..But we feel really good about our Guys And Mazi."
:mad::banghead::mad::banghead:

Haven't We Heard That One Before..------> We feel really good about our Guys
Same Song & Dance.. :muttley: :facepalm:

I hear it in my sleep "we feel good about him we feel good, we feel good, we feel good!" Guy has the worst span of games in NFL history "we fell good!" lol

Chasing6

Reaction score
Yeah they do spend it. They spend it in “Dead Cap Space” to players that aren’t on the roster anymore cuz they make piss poor financial decisions. Gallup’s big contract coming off injury is one example. Jaylon Smith playing on one leg was another. Zeke’s big contract is another. Believing Dak is worth 60m per year may be the next. But “We like our guys”.
We never seem to be able to trade any of our players we no longer want. They always end up as cap hits.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
On The Love of the Star podcast (Broaddus and Belt), they basically talked about what they believe (from folks they've talked to) that they are VERY comfy in starting Bass @ LG...more to the point, they're more comfy starting Smith @ LT, Bass @ LG, and one of the Top 3 C's (Barton, JPJ, Frazier) Game 1 vs. one of the lower ranked 1st round T's and Hoffman @ C.

AS AM I!!!!
so trade back and get more picks, then nab the player you want

Mannix

Reaction score
Short of hearing that Booger and Chuckles have signed a suicide pact, I've NEVER been less excited to now come on here daily for any news....no offense to the site.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
e3ac4bab-2127-4f3d-a360-5c79d7ba923e_text.gif

phildadon86

Reaction score

Cowboys EVP Stephen Jones on @1053thefan on Jerry Jones saying Dallas would be "all in" this season: "Everybody has their own definition of what that means, but I've never not known us to be all in, nor have I known anyone we compete against not to be all in."

What does he say to fans that don't believe the Cowboys have been "all in" this offseason?

"We spend max, max money year in and year out. All 32 can only spend the same amount of money over a five-year stretch. When we're all said and done, we max out our salary cap every year. We will have done that. What comes with having a good roster, which we do, we're also looking towards signing our own guys.

"It doesn't mean it happens overnight. But when you're wanting to sign players like Dak (Prescott) and Micah (Parsons) and CeeDee (Lamb), then you have to hold money back if you want to have a realistic chance of signing those guys."

Funny story Stephen.

So why is Dallas one of the lowest cash spending teams in the NFL?

Just stop it already.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I rarely hate anybody but i really really despise this man.