Stephen on Dak as a franchise quarterback

InTheZone

Reaction score
QB salaries are ridiculous and the QB market will dictate what Dak gets paid. There’s no way around overpaying a starting QB these days, especially a young QB.
how about teams smarten up and stop overpaying the QB more than any other position that gets overpaid. If teams don't want to reel in what the QB makes then continue drafting cheap. We'll see if the market keeps reaching for more.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
how about teams smarten up and stop overpaying the QB more than any other position that gets overpaid. If teams don't want to reel in what the QB makes then continue drafting cheap. We'll see if the market keeps reaching for more.

NFL players in general are overpaid. DLaw just signed for what most top franchise QB’s were making a few years ago. You have to overpay QBs or you’ll lose them in free agency. You can’t afford to lose your starting QB, solid starting QBs are too hard to find just ask the Cleveland Browns.

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
Please list the 14 QBs in the NFL better than Dak?
Not in order, cause I’m going off the top of my head:

These QBs are inarguably better:

1. Aaron Rodgers
2. Patrick Mahomes
3. Russell Wilson
4. Tom Brady
5. Drew Brees
6. Andrew Luck
7. Big Ben
8. Phillip Rivers
9. Baker Mayfield
10. Matt Ryan
11. Deshaun Watson

These guys you could argue but most would say are better than Dak:

12. Cam Newton
13. Carson Wentz
14. Jared Goff
15. Kirk Cousins

And these guys, you could argue either way, but I would definitely choose Dak over them:

16. Andy Dalton
17. Matthew Stafford
18. Mitchell Trubisky

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
QB salaries are ridiculous and the QB market will dictate what Dak gets paid. There’s no way around overpaying a starting QB these days, especially a young QB.
:hammer: key word(s) STARTING QB. Not sure why many don't understand this.....it's all by the market for NFL starting QBs.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
:hammer: key word(s) STARTING QB. Not sure why many don't understand this.....it's all by the market for NFL starting QBs.

Is it thou? I mean, Dak is not special in terms of Throwing the football. His gifts and talents are elsewhere. Now that the NFL sees how they can be implemented, assuming they believe that his talents overshadow his faults, I wonder if this changes the dynamics a bit?

Little Jr

Reaction score
I don't think it's fair to call the OL average last year. Not as good as they have been in years past, thats fair to me but they were still pretty good last year, especially in the run game. Just my opinion.
No better than above avg.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
I don't think it's fair to call the OL average last year. Not as good as they have been in years past, thats fair to me but they were still pretty good last year, especially in the run game. Just my opinion.
Last year's run game was good between the 20's only.

Elliott's success rate inside 10-yd line (team's rank, red zone TD%)
2018 33% (29th)
2017 65% (7th)
2016 67% (5th)

To the larger question, it's easy to see how someone might rate Dak an average QB. No argument from me there.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
No better than above avg.

That's fair enough. I mean, the whole idea is somewhat subjective and we've all seen them be absolutely dominant at times so above average, to me, is fair.

Last edited:

Qcard

Reaction score
Not in order, cause I’m going off the top of my head:

These QBs are inarguably better:

1. Aaron Rodgers
2. Patrick Mahomes
3. Russell Wilson
4. Tom Brady
5. Drew Brees
6. Andrew Luck
7. Big Ben
8. Phillip Rivers
9. Baker Mayfield
10. Matt Ryan
11. Deshaun Watson
I think a Cowboy fan could argue Dak over the past 3 seasons has been better or equal to every QB above except Brady, Brees and Big Ben. Dak is only second to Brady is wins without the Coaching talent or scheme to fit skill set.
EMMITTnROY said:
These guys you could argue but most would say are better than Dak:

12. Cam Newton
13. Carson Wentz
14. Jared Goff
15. Kirk Cousins
Based on what QB metrics other than eye test?
EMMITTnROY said:
And these guys, you could argue either way, but I would definitely choose Dak over them:

16. Andy Dalton
17. Matthew Stafford
18. Mitchell Trubisky
Aqgreed but Mitchell appears to have the support and I think he'll improve.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Last year's run game was good between the 20's only.

Elliott's success rate inside 10-yd line (team's rank, red zone TD%)
2018 33% (29th)
2017 65% (7th)
2016 67% (5th)

To the larger question, it's easy to see how someone might rate Dak an average QB. No argument from me there.

But to me, it's inside the 20s when your OC and coaching make the difference. I mean, that's when you need to be able to call a game and execute, more so then in the middle of the field. Don't you think that that is more of an issue with the play calling and less of an issue with the actual play of the OL?

Qcard

Reaction score
Is it thou? I mean, Dak is not special in terms of Throwing the football. His gifts and talents are elsewhere. Now that the NFL sees how they can be implemented, assuming they believe that his talents overshadow his faults, I wonder if this changes the dynamics a bit?
What metric measures "special in terms of throwing football"

Little Jr

Reaction score
Easier said than done, especially with qbs. If you stand your ground then what? Cut him and have nothing? Trade him and hope for something ? Franchise him and pay him big money in one year anyways? It's different for a QB than any other position.

cheftjpeck

Reaction score
I just hope we don’t make Dak a top 5 paid QB or anything ridiculous.

He’s probably right around the 15th best QB in the league. So I don’t know why he wouldn’t get league average money. But whatever. I’ve resigned myself to it.

I like Dak. I think we can win with Dak. But he’s not elite. We shouldn’t pay him like he is.
We aren’t ... the team owners are and unfortunately nothing we can do about it

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
What metric measures "special in terms of throwing football"

Yes, in terms of throwing the ball because, lets face it, other then experience, the only place Dak falls down in comparison is his actual ability to throw. In all other areas, he outshines most other professional QBs. Not sure if I'm answer your question exactly?

Qcard

Reaction score
Yes, in terms of throwing the ball because, lets face it, other then experience, the only place Dak falls down in comparison is his actual ability to throw. In all other areas, he outshines most other professional QBs. Not sure if I'm answer your question exactly?
No you didn't...
What QB metric determines whether or not a QB is a "special thrower of the football"?

Bowdown27

Reaction score
I’m behind Dak. I like him I think they can win a championship with him as qb but I’m torn pay him now based off of what he can do in the future (winning sb) or you wait until he does bring you to the nfc championship of sb