Stephen on Dak as a franchise quarterback

Sydla

Reaction score
Top 5 QB contract today can very well be a top 15 contract 3-4 years from now.

Doesn’t change the point.

Would you pay Robert Quinn a top 5 contract for DEs because in 4 years it won’t be in the Top 15 of contracts?

Of course you wouldn’t.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Yes but eye is so subjective. It needs quantfiable metrics for justification.

No. I've watched QBs throw for over 50 years. QBs who can really throw, you can tell. You don't need stats and even stats can lie about a QBs ability to actually throw. WRs can drop balls, run bad routes, lots of reasons why stats can fall down on a good thrower. Dak is not that QB. He is not a great thrower but he doesn't have to be. He simply has to be efficient. He has to be able to make certain throws at certain times and he just can not miss those gimme throws. He does that too much. I know fans will point at stats but stats don't account for those kinds of plays. Those kinds of plays are the ones that make or break the season. You have to be able to make those because they are uncontested. It's hard enough in the NFL to make plays, you gotta be able to get the ones that are the gimmes.

JMO

Sydla

Reaction score
As long as we can keep most of our players I do not care what Dak makes. But man it will be a hard pill to swallow if Kurt "I wish you were not my" Cousins is making more than Dak when its all said and done.

Why would it be a hard pill to swallow?

Cousins got overpaid. Frankly if the Cowboys paid Dak less than that, it would be a huge win for the Cowboys.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
OK guys, that's it for me for today. I got my Grandkids here and if it's a choice between arguing with you knuckle heads or feeding them Chocolate Cake and Milk before dinner with them, guess what, there no choice there.

You guys have a good evening. Peace!

Sydla

Reaction score
I think a Cowboy fan could argue Dak over the past 3 seasons has been better or equal to every QB above except Brady, Brees and Big Ben. Dak is only second to Brady is wins without the Coaching talent or scheme to fit skill set.

Based on what QB metrics other than eye test?

Aqgreed but Mitchell appears to have the support and I think he'll improve.

Insanity. Wilson and Rivers were better QBs as well. Mahomes, last year alone, proved to be a better QB.

Look, if you like Dak that’s great but let’s not get crazy.

Sydla

Reaction score
Then what? LOL

You will cry like a baby and prove some more that you dont understand QB play or current contracts for QB's?

I understand contracts quite well.

The logic that it’s OK to overpay now for a QB because in 4 years the contract will fall down the list of top contracts is some of the dumbest logic I have ever heard.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
That's never a sure thing, as you know but yeah, that's a possibility for sure.
I'm convinced Stephen and Jerry Jones have had that conversation with Sean Payton and the only thing that can blow up plans of him becoming the Head Coach in 2020 is JG winning the SB in 2019. It's a gamble but not much of one.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Well D-Law isn’t the best DE and he got 20 million a year. Dak is going to get 25+ per year as a franchise QB..

Therein lies the problem with paying the best player you have at a position like he's the best in the NFL at his position.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
This is what many of Dak's critics are struggling with. They see him as just a quarterback. The Jones see him as the Cowboys franchised quarterback.

I wonder what Dak critics would say if they had paid some of the crap QB's trotted through the system since the early 2000's. Think about it... Carter, Testaverde, Henson, Anthony Wright, Ryan Leaf, Chad Hutchinson, Clint Stoerner in a span of 4 years. Yah, Prescott looks like a keeper

Sydla

Reaction score
I wonder what Dak critics would say if they had paid some of the crap QB's trotted through the system since the early 2000's. Think about it... Carter, Testaverde, Henson, Anthony Wright, Ryan Leaf, Chad Hutchinson, Clint Stoerner in a span of 4 years. Yah, Prescott looks like a keeper

They’d have been pissed.

What’s the point here? That it’s OK to possibly overpay Dak because he’s better than Drew Henson was?

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
They’d have been pissed.

What’s the point here? That it’s OK to possibly overpay Dak because he’s better than Drew Henson was?

He's a keeper is the point. I know we don't agree on that and that doesn't bother me in the least

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
He might be a keeper. I need another year before I commit top dollars to him. Paying him like an elite QB now is foolish IMO.

Not my money or yours. He'll be paid as a top 10 QB and that's just my belief. Nothing more. Not saying he should or shouldn't be, my crystal ball isn't that clear

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
He might be a keeper. I need another year before I commit top dollars to him. Paying him like an elite QB now is foolish IMO.

So we wait until Wentz and Goff sign contracts? Guess where they're going in the echelon of NFL QB's.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
I mean people are willing to pay him Top 3 money now so no reason not to wait. It won’t matter what Goff and Wentz get.

What people? As far as I know JJ and SJ are holding the purse strings and doing the negotiations. They did a'ight in tank or did you think it should be less. I mean the FO has a closer seat to this than either of us Syd. Don't trust the FO? That's unfortunate because that's where it is. I don't want @PAPPYDOG doing any negotiations

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Gotta be honest here, I hated to hear Stephen say this contract stuff on Dak. Not because I hate Dak, on contrary, I like him. I hated it because it tells me that Garrett isn't going anywhere. Who signs a QB like Dak to a big time contract when you might have to fire your HC and bring in somebody else? Nobody does that because you want to allow your new HC to make changes and you don't want him tied to a contract on a QB that might not fit his scheme.
The qb always gets done in this situation irrespective of having a lame duck coach or not.

Ironically Garrett is a lot like Dak. League average at best until proven otherwise. Problem is you can pay Jason whatever and not mess up your cap for a half decade.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What people? As far as I know JJ and SJ are holding the purse strings and doing the negotiations. They did a'ight in tank or did you think it should be less. I mean the FO has a closer seat to this than either of us Syd. Don't trust the FO? That's unfortunate because that's where it is. I don't want @PAPPYDOG doing any negotiations

Shame really as GM I would have signed Foles first and foremost and traded Dak for a 3rd (Best we could get) then with my QB issues being solved and Zeke would have over 1600 yards as those 8 man in the box would disappear and along with my YOUNG and IMPROVED defense a Superbowl would be a reality once again in Big D.....smoke on that scenario and keep waiting for Dak to improve I guess.....zzzz....zzzz....zzz..opps another check-down charlie pass or Dak Run.....zzzz...zzzz....zzzz...oh NO he fumbled oh no he's been sacked again in panic mode....zzz...zzzz...oh gosh another OVERTHROW...ZZZ...ZZZ

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Shame really as GM I would have signed Foles first and foremost and traded Dak for a 3rd (Best we could get) then with my QB issues being solved and Zeke would have over 1600 yards as those 8 man in the box would disappear and along with my YOUNG and IMPROVED defense a Superbowl would be a reality once again in Big D.....smoke on that scenario and keep waiting for Dak to improve I guess.....zzzz....zzzz....zzz..opps another check-down charlie pass or Dak Run.....zzzz...zzzz....zzzz...oh NO he fumbled oh no he's been sacked again in panic mode....zzz...zzzz...oh gosh another OVERTHROW...ZZZ...ZZZ

You could be right and I could be crazy. You don't want me negotiating either Pap