Stephen on Dak as a franchise quarterback

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Regardless of the order, that's a good list.

I've said all along, Dak is getting paid due to the position he plays and the market. People have to live wit that.

I'll also say this: there is only one team on that list of 18 that would trade their QB for Dak at his expected new contract level...and even that team is just a guess. That team would be Cincy w/ Dalton.
Another great example of where most outside the slobbering Dak fans would rank him.

I think I take Dak over Dalton as well.

Sydla

Reaction score
Dalton is a stat sheet stuffer with no big wins at all. I would take Dak over him every day and twice on Sunday.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
And since he said Pro Bowls are really important, the 2018 pro bowl shows he's apparently only the 6th best QB in the NFC. Then when you start to throw in names like Brady and Rivers and Mahomes and Luck, he's apparently not even a Top 10 QB using the Pro Bowl as an important "stat".

Thats interesting math. So tell me again how making the pro bowl doesnt mean you had a top 10 QB season?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Thats interesting math. So tell me again how making the pro bowl doesnt mean you had a top 10 QB season?
Because first of all he wasn’t voted into the Pro Bowl and secondly we don’t know what the process is when the league starts calling up for substitutes?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
So you admit he's not a Top 5 QB now but think it's perfectly fine to make him one of the 3-5 highest paid QBs in football?

And I never said or acted like he should be Top 5 by now. Again, stop making stuff up to suit your needs in a debate.

A person would be a moron to call him a top 5 QB. That would be laughable.

Again, you dont seem to grasp new contracts vs older contracts.

Do you really think the Cowboys are going to point out the Brady contract as a legitimate marker and us it as a bargaining tool? LOL

Again, you show your naive nature to QB contracts.

They look at the several contracts signed by franchise QB's and thats the gauge.

But wait, you are complaining that he is NOT a top 5 QB are you not? You just moaned that making the pro bowl only makes him around Top 10. As if thats not good enough in his 3rd year. LOL

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
No, Pro Bowls are not important stats to anyone who has common sense.

All Pro is way more important than Pro Bowls.

Further, you do realize that Prescott was actually the 6th choice at QB for the Pro Bowl right? Rodgers, Goff and Brees were the first Pro Bowlers named. Rodgers dropped out due to injury and Goff couldn't play because he was in the SB. Those two were then replaced with Wilson and Mitch Trubisky.

When Brees backed out, then they picked Prescott to fill his spot. So the pecking order for pro bowl QBs was:

- Rodgers
- Brees
- Goff

Then.........

- Wilson (replaced Rodgers)
- Trubisky (replaced Goff)

Then.........

- Dak (replaced Brees)

LOL..........Making the pro bowl to anyone with common sense would indicate that the entire NFL landscape recognized the quality of your season.

But when your a Dak hating troll and it doenst suit your agenda, it doenst mean much eh? LOL

Sydla

Reaction score
A person would be a moron to call him a top 5 QB. That would be laughable.

Again, you dont seem to grasp new contracts vs older contracts.

Do you really think the Cowboys are going to point out the Brady contract as a legitimate marker and us it as a bargaining tool? LOL

Again, you show your naive nature to QB contracts.

They look at the several contracts signed by franchise QB's and thats the gauge.

But wait, you are complaining that he is NOT a top 5 QB are you not? You just moaned that making the pro bowl only makes him around Top 10. As if thats not good enough in his 3rd year. LOL

No, you don't seem to grasp new contracts versus old contracts.

Because it's downright stupid to just pay a guy a top rate because you think his contract won't be a top contract 3 years from now. That's such stupid thinking, that it's not surprising you are pushing it.

Again, let's go pay Robert Quinn a Top 5 DE contract now! Because hey, in a few years when the contract ages, it won't be a Top 5 contract any longer! Brilliant!

Sydla

Reaction score
LOL..........Making the pro bowl to anyone with common sense would indicate that the entire NFL landscape recognized the quality of your season.

But when your a Dak hating troll and it doenst suit your agenda, it doenst mean much eh? LOL

Which is viewed as the bigger accomplishment? Pro Bowl or All Pro?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Which is viewed as the bigger accomplishment? Pro Bowl or All Pro?

If your going to act like an idiot, then lets just end the conversation. Its a waste of time talking to you Dak hating trolls anyway.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
No, you don't seem to grasp new contracts versus old contracts.

Because it's downright stupid to just pay a guy a top rate because you think his contract won't be a top contract 3 years from now. That's such stupid thinking, that it's not surprising you are pushing it.

Again, let's go pay Robert Quinn a Top 5 DE contract now! Because hey, in a few years when the contract ages, it won't be a Top 5 contract any longer! Brilliant!

Thats another dumb example. And DE contracts are much different then franchise QB contracts in the way they are paid. Again you show your lack of understanding.

How much do you think Dak is going to get that you are crying about?

glimmerman

Reaction score
25 will be the base. I think SJ may think he is getting a deal if he signs him for 27 a year. Comparing to other starting qb. They believe he is to be the starter for the future which makes him a franchise QB. Will likely have a good season next year barring injury. Money is only going up if they wait.

Sydla

Reaction score

I explained it to you. It involves just a little bit of brain power on your part, so hopefully you can crank that mouse wheel up in your head.

The first three QBs picked for the Pro Bowl were Rodgers, Brees and Goff. So now according to your belief that Pro Bowls are huge deals, the fact those three were the first choices means they viewed Dak as having a season not as good as those three. So, right now, he ranks 4th in the NFC in QB performances based on the Pro Bowl voting.

Rodgers had to bail out because he was hurt. The Pro-Bowl didn't turn to Dak to replace him. They went with Wilson. So Dak was viewed as not having as good a performance in 2018 as Wilson. Therefore, the Pro Bowl viewed Rodgers, Brees, Goff and now Wilson as better. Goff then had to bail because he was in the SB the following week. The Pro Bowl didn't then go to Prescott to replace him, they went to Trubisky. So, taking all that into consideration, the Pro Bowl viewed Prescott as the 6th best QB in the NFC. They deemed Rodgers, Brees, Goff, Wilson and Trubisky to have been better QBs in the NFC than Prescott.

So he was 6th in the NFC, at best. Are you going to argue he outperformed the AFC QBs such as Mahomes, Luck, Watson and Rivers?

Sydla

Reaction score
Thats another dumb example. And DE contracts are much different then franchise QB contracts in the way they are paid. Again you show your lack of understanding.

How much do you think Dak is going to get that you are crying about?

I have no idea what Dak is going to get. Because I still don't think anyone has an idea what kind of QB he really is.

All I have said is that paying him a Top 3-5 contract NOW is dumb and they should let him play out 2019 and then make an offer based on how he progresses that season. If he plays lights out and deserves that Top 3-5 contract, great. But if he doesn't then make an offer in line with the type of QB he is or tag him if he thinks he's worth more.

Sydla

Reaction score
If your going to act like an idiot, then lets just end the conversation. Its a waste of time talking to you Dak hating trolls anyway.

So you can't answer a very basic question. Which is the more prestigious award - All Pro or Pro Bowl?

The only person acting like an idiot here is you. But you pretty much proved what a fool you are being with this response above.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I explained it to you. It involves just a little bit of brain power on your part, so hopefully you can crank that mouse wheel up in your head.

The first three QBs picked for the Pro Bowl were Rodgers, Brees and Goff. So now according to your belief that Pro Bowls are huge deals, the fact those three were the first choices means they viewed Dak as having a season not as good as those three. So, right now, he ranks 4th in the NFC in QB performances based on the Pro Bowl voting.

Rodgers had to bail out because he was hurt. The Pro-Bowl didn't turn to Dak to replace him. They went with Wilson. So Dak was viewed as not having as good a performance in 2018 as Wilson. Therefore, the Pro Bowl viewed Rodgers, Brees, Goff and now Wilson as better. Goff then had to bail because he was in the SB the following week. The Pro Bowl didn't then go to Prescott to replace him, they went to Trubisky. So, taking all that into consideration, the Pro Bowl viewed Prescott as the 6th best QB in the NFC. They deemed Rodgers, Brees, Goff, Wilson and Trubisky to have been better QBs in the NFC than Prescott.

So he was 6th in the NFC, at best. Are you going to argue he outperformed the AFC QBs such as Mahomes, Luck, Watson and Rivers?

Fair enough. That would put it around 10 or 11. Forgot about the Trubinsky.

THAT being said, it doenst change the narrative. Dak was recognized for a quality season. Albeit being chosen as one of the top 2 is better.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I have no idea what Dak is going to get. Because I still don't think anyone has an idea what kind of QB he really is.

All I have said is that paying him a Top 3-5 contract NOW is dumb and they should let him play out 2019 and then make an offer based on how he progresses that season. If he plays lights out and deserves that Top 3-5 contract, great. But if he doesn't then make an offer in line with the type of QB he is or tag him if he thinks he's worth more.

See, this is where you lack understanding. QB's and Dak are getting paid MORE based on other recent franchise signings then they are based on what kind of QB they are. With a young QB its also based somewhat on potential.

But you are wrong about "what kind of QB he really is".

Its abundantly clear to me, others, and the FO that is 100% a franchise QB worthy of a big new contract.

Go ahead and look at the top 10 QB salaries. Most of those guys are overpaid and NOT top 5 guys.

And if you have no idea what he is going to get paid, then what are you complaining about? LOL

Again, its like your just searching for anything to complain about.

So at 500k per year over the first 3 years, can you at least admit that Dak was one of the top values at QB in the NFL?

Sydla

Reaction score
Fair enough. That would put it around 10 or 11. Forgot about the Trubinsky.

THAT being said, it doenst change the narrative. Dak was recognized for a quality season. Albeit being chosen as one of the top 2 is better.

10-12 is right about where I think Prescott ranks in the NFL.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
So you can't answer a very basic question. Which is the more prestigious award - All Pro or Pro Bowl?

The only person acting like an idiot here is you. But you pretty much proved what a fool you are being with this response above.

I figured you were just a complete fool and didn't know yourself. All pro is league wide, pro bowl is by conference. If you didnt even know that, then you really are a fool.

Sydla

Reaction score
See, this is where you lack understanding. QB's and Dak are getting paid MORE based on other recent franchise signings then they are based on what kind of QB they are. With a young QB its also based somewhat on potential.

But you are wrong about "what kind of QB he really is".

Its abundantly clear to me, others, and the FO that is 100% a franchise QB worthy of a big new contract.

Go ahead and look at the top 10 QB salaries. Most of those guys are overpaid and NOT top 5 guys.

And if you have no idea what he is going to get paid, then what are you complaining about? LOL

Again, its like your just searching for anything to complain about.

So at 500k per year over the first 3 years, can you at least admit that Dak was one of the top values at QB in the NFL?

And yet in another thread, there is a discussion of the fact that it's been reported that Stephen Jones isn't willing to hand over a big contract to Dak yet and in fact, would want him to take a team friendly deal.

So before we start making definitive statements on what the franchise wants, let's see how they approach this. Because if that report is true, it would seem the Cowboys, are in fact, more in line with my thinking than yours.