Stephen on Dak as a franchise quarterback

Qcard

Reaction score
I don’t think it’s ever an issue because most of the “special throwers” also have great stats. It’s the guys who don’t have great stats who have to try and prove they are special.
Like Brady....He won 3 Superbowl on rookie contract and a 4yr $28 million deal in 2002. Belichick is amazing...lol

Winning is everything.

Eye test of a special thrower is flawed and subjective unquantifiable theory. It can't measure heart and desire to win.

Only winning can. Winning a true measure of a QB and the contract they deserve.

Dak is getting paid because he outperformed his contract by winning. Based on the level of winning it's within Franchise QB range.

Qcard

Reaction score
So? That is true from year to year.

That doesn't mean he is worth top 5 QB money in any market.
if the "market's goal" is winning...if Dak continues to outperform his rookie contract by winning....if Dak's continues to outperform his next contract by winning....

He will be a top 5 paid QB.....

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Like Brady....He won 3 Superbowl on rookie contract and a 4yr $28 million deal in 2002. Belichick is amazing...lol

Winning is everything.

Eye test of a special thrower is flawed and subjective unquantifiable theory. It can't measure heart and desire to win.

Only winning can. Winning a true measure of a QB and the contract they deserve.

Dak is getting paid because he outperformed his contract by winning. Based on the level of winning it's within Franchise QB range.
Brady is a special thrower and it's pretty obvious from watching him... his defining trait is his uncanny accuracy. Dak unfortunately lacks that one superior trait, while unfortunately possessing quite a few lackluster ones.

Teams win, not QBs. Given Dak's meager throwing output - he is 21st out of 22 QBS in passing yards per game (average of 12 starts per season over the last three years) - the evidence is far stronger that the Cowboys have won in spite of him, not because of him.

Qcard

Reaction score
Brady is a special thrower and it's pretty obvious from watching him... his defining trait is his uncanny accuracy. Dak unfortunately lacks that one superior trait, while unfortunately possessing quite a few lackluster ones.
Did you watch Brady in College?
Did you watch Brady's Combine?
Did you watch the 1st 3 years of his career?if anyone said Brady had "Uncanny accuracy" after his 1st 3 seasons (even with Superbowl win)....eye test guys have "uncanny retrospect"
Super_Kazuya said:
Teams win, not QBs. Given Dak's meager throwing output - he is 21st out of 22 QBS in passing yards per game (average of 12 starts per season over the last three years) - the evidence is far stronger that the Cowboys have won in spite of him, not because of him.
What was Tom Bradys passing yards per game output in 2000, 2001 and 2002. Exact same metrics?

QBs are measured by Wins

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Did you watch Brady in College?
Did you watch Brady's Combine?
Did you watch the 1st 3 years of his career?if anyone said Brady had "Uncanny accuracy" after his 1st 3 seasons (even with Superbowl win)....eye test guys have "uncanny retrospect"What was Tom Bradys passing yards per game output in 2000, 2001 and 2002. Exact same metrics?

QBs are measured by Wins
Brady has always been really accurate, yes even at the beginning. You're starting to get senile.

Using the same conditions over Brady's first three years starting, he ranks 10th in passing yards per game... not the best, but certainly not the worst like Dak.

Qcard

Reaction score
Brady has always been really accurate, yes even at the beginning. You're starting to get senile.
So what is the delta between "uncanny accuracy" and "really accurate"... I am old but I can focus on words...your level of accuracy is shifting... Factually Brady's accuracy was considered no better than good pre-draft like I said ...eye test guys got uncanny retrospect. Read Brady's pre-draft report in Forbes below.

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/ww...ading-tom-bradys-old-nfl-scouting-report/amp/
Super_Kazuya said:
Using the same conditions over Brady's first three years starting, he ranks 10th in passing yards per game... not the best, but certainly not the worst like Dak.
But you said "Uncanny accuracy"!!! Lol I agree Brady wasn't top tier QB statistically in his first 3 seasons.

Last edited:

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
So what is the delta between "uncanny accuracy" and "really accurate"... I am old but I can focus on words...your level of accuracy is shifting... Factually Brady's accuracy was considered no better than good pre-draft like I said ...eye test guys got uncanny retrospect. Read Brady's pre-draft report in Forbes below.

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/ww...ading-tom-bradys-old-nfl-scouting-report/amp/

But you said "Uncanny accuracy"!!! Lol I agree Brady wasn't top tier QB statistically in his first 3 seasons.
Brady's scouting report is as irrelevant as Dak's is... once Brady was in the NFL, he was accurate.

And Brady was a top tier QB pretty much right away... most people are a bit clueless and try comparing stats from 20 years ago to today's without any context. Crucially, Brady got better while Dak has gotten worse... Dak is a bottom third QB in pretty much every metric over the last two years.

Qcard

Reaction score
Brady's scouting report is as irrelevant as Dak's is... once Brady was in the NFL, he was accurate.

And Brady was a top tier QB pretty much right away... most people are a bit clueless and try comparing stats from 20 years ago to today's without any context. Crucially, Brady got better while Dak has gotten worse... Dak is a bottom third QB in pretty much every metric over the last two years.
It is quite relevant in my previous discussion with fuzzy but you interjected with "Uncanny accuracy" and passing game stats.
I judge QBs by wins I don't care to go down a rabbit hole with you about stats... Dak is a winner who happens to be a bottom tier QB....j

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
It is quite relevant in my previous discussion with fuzzy but you interjected with "Uncanny accuracy" and passing game stats.
I judge QBs by wins I don't care to go down a rabbit hole with you about stats... Dak is a winner who happens to be a bottom tier QB....j
Dak is a winner right up to the point where the ball bounces the wrong way for what was basically a break even point differential team... then suddenly he is a loser who happens to be a bottom tier QB.

Nav22

Reaction score
Gave you a like for not including your usual creepy reference to drinking people's tears.

And only that.
Wasn’t creepy when Cartman did it. That was just awesome.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
if the "market's goal" is winning...if Dak continues to outperform his rookie contract by winning....if Dak's continues to outperform his next contract by winning....

He will be a top 5 paid QB.....

The team goal is winning. Accumulating talent is what garners wins and there is an opportunity cost to giving Dak $30m AAV. That means you lose other talented players like the Byron Jones and Jaylon Smiths of the world.

And you can project where Dak's performance will be and he simply does not project to outperform that type of contract. Quite the contrary.

When you factor in how he needs a strong supporting cast of receivers who have consistent separation to work with his limited accuracy and sluggish reads, blockers to keep pressure off him so his mechanics don't go into the toilet, and an efficient running game to keep his attempts down paying him big buck makes little sense.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
We do have a choice. Trade Dak, get another QB.

Sometimes Dak plays very well. Sometimes poorly. On balance, I just don't believe his level of play is that difficult to replace for much less than 28mil.

I'd rather be churning running QBs. When we hit one who can be a top pocket passer too, then we think about paying that guy.

whoa back there cowboy. You're throwing $28mil around like it was a fact. Some were throwing $84mil around on guaranteed money for Tank. I'm not disagreeing with you but when did anyone from the organization say $28 mil and how much is "much less" than $28 mil. All I saw was a from SJ saying the team wanted to sign Dak to a "team friendly deal".

I think they did a decent job of that with Tank and there is no reason to believe they won't with Dak. Yes, SJ did say that Tanks "biggest contract ever signed" might not be the biggest for long. Remember Amari Cooper! And $23 mil is more than $22.5 mil :). We're jumping off the deep end on something we know nothing about

Brax

Reaction score
This is what many of Dak's critics are struggling with. They see him as just a quarterback. The Jones see him as the Cowboys franchised quarterback.

wonder what skins he has on the wall, last I knew he didn't have any.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I understand contracts quite well.

The logic that it’s OK to overpay now for a QB because in 4 years the contract will fall down the list of top contracts is some of the dumbest logic I have ever heard.

Franchise QB's get huge money. Thats just the way it is. In case you didnt notice. Especially the young QB's typically get paid some on potential rather than what they have done. Simple, simple, NFL QB contract basics.

Heck, I hate to think about blowing 25-30 million on a QB as well, but I understand the process. Hell, I hated paying 20 million to Lawrence. And you dont like Prescott so of course you are going to complain. LOL.....You didnt like him at 500k so I wouldnt expect you to like him at 28 million.

The alternative is not even worth discussing. In 2 or 3 years the contracts will be up to 35 million, Dak will be in his prime and a top 10 QB. It will look like a bargain as did the Romo contract as it went forward.

But before you find something else to complain about with Dak, maybe you should just wait and see what the contract is.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
First QB that comes to mind when I think of Dak is Case Keenum. His stats the last two years are as good as Daks or better.

What stats are those? Wins? Playoffs? Pro bowls? Probably the most important stats right there.