Twitter: Stephen on drafting another RB in the first round

LysleE

Reaction score
Stephen…you can draft a RB in the first round; subsequently sign him to a lucrative 2nd contract that is in no way commensurate with his skills; announce your intention to cut him a year later; then pick-up a 4th round pick in return for some other sucker to pick-up his contract; then promote the 2nd or 3rd string RB into the starting slot; and then act like you hoodwinked all the other NFL GMs. Uh huh…you smooth son-of-a-gun!
But wait! It’s all good! Dallas still has Dak to run the offense, he just now has to play 1-click better without a serviceable RB!

MikeT22

Reaction score
Dallas doesn't like small shifty RBs. Just like the don't like big 350lb DTs
They actually don’t value any DTs much. Haven’t drafted a DT in the first round since Spears in 2005. Only drafted one in the second during that time, the bust Trysten Hill.

We tend to get most of our DTs in the 3-4 rounds or mid-low FAs. And most end up being JAGs at best.

Sydla

Reaction score

I hope he's saying if you draft a non-RB in the top half of the first you are hoping he can be a cornerstone player for 10 years.

Because there ain't a TB you take in the top half that's going to be a franchise player for you for 10 years.

mardwin

Reaction score
"he is not opposed to drafting a running back in first round. "

Let me change a couple things for you JR

"He is not suppose to be drafting a running back in the first round."
Drafted 2 RBs in the first rounds in the past 15 years, and neither left the mark they were expected to make. Their logic is flawed.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
“If you’re taking a player in the top half, you’re hoping you’ve got a player who is going to be here for 10 years.”

This from the guy that drafted Zeke 4th overall in 2016.

Does this gobbledygook mean that they’ve learned their lesson?

JayFord

Reaction score
hes not saying running back for 10 years

hes saying whoever they draft would have to be great for 10 years

i doubt theyre taking RB in the first Bijan is the only one going in the 1st and hes going before we pick

Cowboysheelsreds058

Reaction score
They actually don’t value any DTs much. Haven’t drafted a DT in the first round since Spears in 2005. Only drafted one in the second during that time, the bust Trysten Hill.

We tend to get most of our DTs in the 3-4 rounds or mid-low FAs. And most end up being JAGs at best.

Agree but some will say the pick from UCLA is good.

garyv

Reaction score
A running back for 10 years ? Hopeless.
6 years if your lucky. I'm a strong believer in changing running backs more frequently than most. I don't like
dishing out multiple contracts on running backs. You end up paying too much in the long run and I would rather
use those funds on keeping my OL upgraded or strong.

Redline360

Reaction score
As much as he is around and involved in football how can someone be so utterly clueless and useless.

Looks over my shoulder at my coworker who's been here for 20+ years and is beyond useless....

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
Boy wonder speaks again lol.
That means they want elliot for another 3 years?
pacheco was 7th round , I know they saw the SB, you would think that would tell them you dont need to draft RB's in hight rounds.
They are some slow learners lol.
Pacheco was an anomality That does not happen very often

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How dare you sir !!

This calls for a duel
Choose your weapons
Lightsabers!

One condition though. We fight like we're in the 1977 movie. None of that flipping through the air while twisting lightsabers around like batons. No sir. I'm not throwing out my back over an Ewok. :(

:D

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Never forget he was gifted the job.
Yeah but you would think certain useful information would have imprinted on his brain after all this time too, especially if it has been witnessed dozens of times over a few decades.

Scratch everything I said. Forgot for a second I was talking about DNA Kid #1. :(

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Robinson or Gibbs at 26 would be good.
The problem with this is by thier own words this FO WILL give a 2nd contract to thier 1st round picks, its just not a good strategy in todays NFL with an RB