Twitter: Stephen on drafting another RB in the first round

Q_the_man

Reaction score
You are thinking in human athletic years. Four highly productive years for an Ewok is equal to 12 years for a human.

That was a joke, Elliott fans. Don't spam me with replies how I am being disrespectful to him. It'll make me sic Chewbacca on ya.
Yeah. Stop disrespecting the Ewoks. Even though Zeke ki da looks like an Ewok

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
10 years for a running back?
They have learned nothing.
:huh: Maybe I'm reading this wrong but seems he's literally admitting drafting Zeke 4th overall was a mistake coz as a rule, you are not getting 10 from the RB position.
It also indirectly explains why he broke down and gave Zeke the 2nd contract........coz Zeke was threatening to shut down his service ( sit out) or only play a few games a year until he became a FA. In other words, we would have gotten only 3 years of non-controversial service from Zeke.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
I would prefer not to draft an RB in the first round, but the Cowboys are at the end of the first so if that's the best player available I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility. It would be foolish to draft an RB earlier in the first.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
A running back for 10 years ? Hopeless.
That’s pretty much what he’s saying if you’re taking a “player” in the first round you want to get 10 years out of them. He knows you’re not going to get 10 good years out of an RB. They fully plan on hanging onto Pollard.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I would prefer not to draft an RB in the first round, but the Cowboys are at the end of the first so if that's the best player available I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility. It would be foolish to draft an RB earlier in the first.
What's interesting is he's a top 10 player in quite a few trusted mocks but his position devalues his overall ranking.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
What's interesting is he's a top 10 player in quite a few trusted mocks but his position devalues his overall ranking.
Yeah it definitely is and he may very well be the best player available when the Cowboys are up. Depending on what happens in free agency you could potentially justify needs at WR, CB, LB, DT, OL, and RB.

I'm usually for taking the best available player and if neither Zeke or Pollard are here it would be hard to torch the front office for that selection.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
:huh: Maybe I'm reading this wrong but seems he's literally admitting drafting Zeke 4th overall was a mistake coz as a rule, you are not getting 10 from the RB position.
It also indirectly explains why he broke down and gave Zeke the 2nd contract........coz Zeke was threatening to shut down his service ( sit out) or only play a few games a year until he became a FA. In other words, we would have gotten only 3 years of non-controversial service from Zeke.
I think you're probably right about the first sentence. Hard to be sure with professional click baiters.
The tweeter said " But it depends where in the round. " If that's really an accurate preface to the quoted comment by Stephen, then yeah,

But on Zeke's holdout, I thought at the time they shouldn't have just let Zeke hold out. He had to play like half the year if he wanted to get a year toward being a vested veteran. Letting players demand that you overturn the basic structure of the NFL draft process is just bad business - though I agree the NFL does screw rookies, especially rookie RBs. They should have fined him what they could for the holdout, and clawed back signing bonus from him if he wanted to miss games.
Then trade his year 5 to some team if he didn't want to play it for Dallas. Probably could have negotiated a sign and trade with another team who wanted to sign him longer term.

conner01

Reaction score
Our front office never learns. Same mistakes over and over again.
Drafting a RB late in the first isn’t bad if you don’t have bigger needs. Get the best player in an area of need. But we have too many other needs that will likely have good prospects available at 26. We need CB, WR and guard really bad plus we could use a stud LB with Barr and LVE leaving
Just don’t think RB is as big a need

conner01

Reaction score
Yeah it definitely is and he may very well be the best player available when the Cowboys are up. Depending on what happens in free agency you could potentially justify needs at WR, CB, LB, DT, OL, and RB.

I'm usually for taking the best available player and if neither Zeke or Pollard are here it would be hard to torch the front office for that selection.
In that scenario it is logical. Personally I would make sure pollard isn’t gone though
But when you pick at 26 so many things can happen and he could be by far the best player and if you let pollard and Zeke walk then it would be hard to criticize it