Twitter: Stephen on drafting another RB in the first round

Flamma

Reaction score
You project drafting a running back who is capable of producing at a high level for three or four seasons tops. Any top production after that is gravy.

Getting a dozen or more all-pro ballot running back is a dream come true. Landing a future Hall of Famer is a true blessing. Every NFL football executive wants those guys but should know they are not guaranteed. The goal should always be targeting the best durable and productive back available each round over the short-term. That is realistic drafting.

“If you’re taking a [running back] player in the top half, you’re hoping you’ve got a player who is going to be here for 10 years.” The man does not seemingly have a reasonable working awareness of effective player longevity by position. :facepalm:
People are taking his comment the wrong way. He basically said he's not opposed to taking a RB late in the first round. Because............ If you take a player in the top half, you want him to be around much longer. He wasn't referring to a RB with that last statement.

BayAreaCowboy

Reaction score
Boy wonder speaks again lol.
That means they want elliot for another 3 years?
pacheco was 7th round , I know they saw the SB, you would think that would tell them you dont need to draft RB's in hight rounds.
They are some slow learners lol.
Pacheco is a weapon. Not a blocker or short down back at all. Theres a reason for round picks and what they give the team. You draft high for RB if hes a two to three down back. SMH

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Pacheco is a weapon. Not a blocker or short down back at all. Theres a reason for round picks and what they give the team. You draft high for RB if hes a two to three down back. SMH
Yeah I think this is pretty spot on. Pacheco may end up developing into a complete running back, but most late round fliers they are either one dimensional or not very good. Pacheco as a rookie was strictly a runner, PFF shows him as only blocking on 26 snaps all season. Most rookie RBs don't pick up the passing game right away.

You can get bargains in the draft at RB, but it's also silly to think we can just plug and play any RB that falls to us in the 5th round. Maybe it's not Pollard we hang onto, but we need a veteran RB on the roster and still look at a mid round pick. RBs get beat up so you need more than one anyways. Have a dependable vet on the roster and give a rookie a chance to develop.

kumizi

Reaction score
I must be reading his comments differently than others are. He's saying he wont take a RB in the top half of the 1st rd. Basically hinting taking Zeke was a mistake and not his call.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Dallas doesn't like small shifty RBs. Just like the don't like big 350lb DTs
yeah, but that pacheco, he ran with power too, hard to bring down at times.
He looked good for a 7th rd pick.
and yes cowboys just dont seem to want a big DT.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Maybe it’s just me, but if you can draft a stud super star RB at the bottom of round one, #26, and you run his wheels off for the 5 years you can control a first rounder on a rookie contract, is that really a poor use of #26?

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
That means they’re gonna keep Zeke for 3 more years so they don’t look like idiots.

rambo2

Reaction score
Maybe it’s just me, but if you can draft a stud super star RB at the bottom of round one, #26, and you run his wheels off for the 5 years you can control a first rounder on a rookie contract, is that really a poor use of #26?
No, it is actually a good idea to have the best back in the league.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Look daddy, I said something smart!!!

I've been learn'n this football stuff!!

Look Granny!! Look Elliie May!!!!

GRCowboy

Reaction score
The Chiefs drafted Clyde Edwards Helaire with the 32nd overall pick in the FIRST round...

The Chiefs also drafted Isaiah Pacheco in the 7TH ROUND.....

Now tell me, which one produced... which one was the bell cow in the Super Bowl????

All the evidence you ever need right there......

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Chiefs drafted Clyde Edwards Helaire with the 32nd overall pick in the FIRST round...

The Chiefs also drafted Isaiah Pacheco in the 7TH ROUND.....

Now tell me, which one produced... which one was the bell cow in the Super Bowl????

All the evidence you ever need right there......
CEH was hurt. His last game was Nov. 20th. Then to IR.

GRCowboy

Reaction score
CEH was hurt. His last game was Nov. 20th. Then to IR.
.... yeah, but he has been hurt every year he's been in the league, and when he's been healthy he's an average running back who isn't nearly as good of a pass catcher as he was in college and always tended to get stuffed on the money runs (3rd and 1, goal line).... just a microcosm of why you don't draft a back early. You draft 3 backs on day 3 plus add 1-2 in UDFA, and you're pretty much guaranteed that 1-2 or more will land on the roster and make an impact.