Stephen: Sometimes that old oblong football doesn't bounce your way

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Cowboys EVP Stephen Jones on @MadDogRadio said it’s a “priority” to get a new contract done with Dak Prescott. “(Franchise QB contracts), they just take time.” Jones on believing Dak can win a Super Bowl in Dallas:

“Absolutely. I mean, I totally think Dak can lead us to a championship. He does everything the right way. He’s certainly the leader of this football team. He keeps everybody motivated in the offseason. He’s got everybody working out and doing all the things that it takes to put in the work to give yourself every opportunity to win a championship. It just so happens that sometimes that old oblong football doesn’t bounce your way. And we’ve had some tough breaks and tough games there in the postseason. But we’ve won 12 games three years in a row. I think that’s right at the top in terms of what teams have done over a three-year period. And we’re hanging around the rim. We’ve just gotta go up there and grab it, to use a basketball term, and dunk it in. We’re hanging around the rim. We just got to get the job done.”

Seems the football has not bounced our way in 28 years.
Maybe our problems lie elsewhere?

khiladi

Reaction score
These are the guys that just gave a 1 year contract to Zeke and say he’s a starter.

What is he supposed to say?

“Dak is garbage, we’ve got one more year until we are rid of this loser.”

Proof

Reaction score
Older QBs than Dak who won their first SB with the team they were drafted by:
John Elway (made 3 Super Bowls at a younger age but lost them all)

QBs who were the same age as Dak who won their first SB with the team they were drafted by:
Phil Simms

That's it.
only 34 qb's have EVER won a sb.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak isn’t close to Elway and we don’t need to deal in imaginary scenarios that are not even close to happening to try and find some “silver lining” to this mediocrity..
You beatme to it. How about trying it on for size and see 1st hand how people feel about a couple or three super bowl games.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Elway is a legend but I couldn't imagine how this place would be if Dak made it to 3 super bowls and never won lol
There must be another playoff quarterback who can be used in a similar context other than John Elway. I watched those Denver Broncos playoff games. Those teams were impressive. Those teams threatened to break through divisional round glass ceilings before the regular season ended. And did.

Should John Elway be singled out? The Denver Broncos and he were synonymous as being a very good team that fell short during that decade. That team and he played in one of the greatest AFC Championship games in the Super Bowl era. That particular game is so notable that overtime--eventually won by Denver--was made possible by The Drive. That team was so impressive that an eventual NON-Super Bowl victory was overshadowed by one of the most recognized events in NFL history just like the Hail Mary, The Immaculate Reception, The Holy Roller, The (barf) Catch, etc. What that Super Bowl non-winner did is so legendary, it is literally in the Pro Football Hall of Fame (link).

In my opinion, it is unfair putting Dak Prescott in such a hypothetical scenario. Football is a team sport. It would be beyond fantastic if-and-when that scenario came true but Prescott and Dallas have been nowhere near the tier of those Elway teams. The only postseason history Dallas and Prescott have established lately is being down 41-16 in the third quarter at home and losing to a seventh seed. How Dallas and its starting quarterback has fared in the playoffs up to now make it also unfair to CowboysZone members imagining and reacting to Dallas and Prescott getting to and losing ONE Super Bowl--let alone three league championship games.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Thing will never get better for Dallas until the Joneses admit to this team having horrific losses at the hands of Prescott. The guy just can't function at a high level of competition against an opponent that doesn't roll over and play dead like the Giants. And it's all because he lacks pedigree.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
No Stephen. This last time the whole team wasn't prepared to play. That has nothing to do with bad breaks. That game was over before the first 5 minutes was over. I didn't even finish my second piece of pizza and I knew that was the ballgame.
LOL....yeah, i hate when the Cowboys can't even let us enjoy our meal from the first bite. At least wait til it's in the belly and in the process of digestion. The diabolical duo strike again. Still shocked MM is around for an encore.

dagreat1_87

Reaction score
Making up things in your head.

Unless of course dak throws 2 ints for 14 free points in each of the 1st halves, then sure.
Dak isn’t close to Elway and we don’t need to deal in imaginary scenarios that are not even close to happening to try and find some “silver lining” to this mediocrity..

There must be another playoff quarterback who can be used in a similar context other than John Elway....

Think you guys are looking too much into my comment, and it's really not that serious...However, since we're here... First, this entire board is filled with hypotheticals. That's literally all that's been going on around here since we lost to GB...Some are reasonable (moving on from Mccarthy), some are outlandish (Jerry selling the team), some were accurate (Zeke coming back) but at the end of the day, they are all hypotheticals that we really don't know will happen or not. Do i think Dak will be going to 1 superbowl let alone 3 in a row? nope...but do any of us really know? nope, which is why we watch each season and see what happens.

Second, my point isn't to compare Dak to Elway, just moreso how would this fanbase really react towards him if it was a similar situation where we made it to that many superbowls in a row and lost.

can you consider a QB to suck or be a game manager if they get that far 3 times in a row? On the other, can you consider him to be great if they never got them over the final hump no matter how good they were statistically?

Again, i don't think Dak is going to get us to the SB as I think he's peaked...but I'm sure there were some Bronco fans who probably thought Elway peaked after Super bowl 24 and were ready to move on lol

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Again, i don't think Dak is going to get us to the SB as I think he's peaked...but I'm sure there were some Bronco fans who probably thought Elway peaked after Super bowl 24 and were ready to move on lol
The thought does tempt me to join a Denver Broncos forum and ask only for fans from the 1980's whether they were ready to move on from John Elway. In my opinion, the nays would notably outnumber the yeas.

dagreat1_87

Reaction score
The thought does tempt me to join a Denver Broncos forum and ask only for fans from the 1980's whether they were ready to move on from John Elway. In my opinion, the nays would notably outnumber the yeas.
I'd actually be interested in knowing the results as well lol

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Think you guys are looking too much into my comment, and it's really not that serious...However, since we're here... First, this entire board is filled with hypotheticals. That's literally all that's been going on around here since we lost to GB...Some are reasonable (moving on from Mccarthy), some are outlandish (Jerry selling the team), some were accurate (Zeke coming back) but at the end of the day, they are all hypotheticals that we really don't know will happen or not. Do i think Dak will be going to 1 superbowl let alone 3 in a row? nope...but do any of us really know? nope, which is why we watch each season and see what happens.

Second, my point isn't to compare Dak to Elway, just moreso how would this fanbase really react towards him if it was a similar situation where we made it to that many superbowls in a row and lost.

can you consider a QB to suck or be a game manager if they get that far 3 times in a row? On the other, can you consider him to be great if they never got them over the final hump no matter how good they were statistically?

Not what I got from your post. But okay.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Thinking more on it, the comment that’s in the headline within its own box isnt not true.

Sometimes you are good enough to have won a championship but it doesn’t happen.

The difference is they aren’t as close to that point as they seem to want to believe.

One of their major problems is they overestimate the players they have. I suspect because coaches pump up the jobs they are doing, and Jerry and kid can’t see things for themselves, so they buy it because they want to.

Sorry but being THREE playoff wins against the best of the best shy of a championship is not “close.”