Sturm concerns on Quinn potential cap hit

jujoboys

Reaction score
How it will affect signing our core players 2019/2020

From what I have been hearing is that Miami may be looking to trade Quinn and still pay part of his salary for 2019 to facilitate a trade. That is how they worked out the trade on Ryan Tannehill. Miami is basically buying draft picks in return for players and some of their CAP space. Quinn has a salary of $11.8 million. For example: The Dolphins might trade him for a draft pick and tell the team trading for him they will pay $6.8 million of his salary. The team getting Quinn would then pay the additional $5 million and only get a $5 million CAP hit. Miami would take the additional $6.8 million CAP hit. Miami is in rebuild mode so they are trying to get as many draft picks as possible. This is the same thing that Cleveland did with Osweiler.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wouldn't be surprised if he will be and just doesn't know it yet!

I hope so. But at the very least, I'm having a talk with him at this point about lowering that cap number. I have the leverage and I would be using it.

Paycut and retire as a Cowboy? Or get cut and take your chances out there, late in free agency, as a non-starter without a true role, and coming off of an off-field embarrassing situation.

Advantage? Cowboys.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
Tyrone Crawford will more than likely be off the books next year which will add another $9-10M in cap space.

I think he’s easily worth the 7M we would save by cutting him. He’s not great, but he’s solid, a good teammate, and he can play multiple positions. Starter quality DL are expensive.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I hope so. But at the very least, I'm having a talk with him at this point about lowering that cap number. I have the leverage and I would be using it.

Paycut and retire as a Cowboy? Or get cut and take your chances out there, late in free agency, as a non-starter without a true role, and coming off of an off-field embarrassing situation.

Advantage? Cowboys.

Yeah, either way, the Cowboys could be in line to get some relief from an overly-generous contract that should've been less all along.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A good one imho.
I don't think they are ready to pay anyone as the 2nd DE long term and would likely continue to draft there.
Given DLaw had 9 sacks his first 3 seasons I also don't think they are out on Taco either. He was the most raw DE in that draft and the upside is still there.

I'm not as high on Taco as you are. I said it was a mistake taking him over Watt the second the pick was made, and facts have borne that out to be correct. If they had Watt, none of this is an issue right now.

They also like Armstong and have depth in general with Hyder added Gregory being a returnee next season possibly and still having Crawford on the roster.

A bunch of non-factors at this point. Given the track record, there's a higher probability that Gregory never plays again than a projected return. Certainly unless the rules on marijuana are changed. Hyder has done little after his injury, and Armstrong has yet to show what they thought they were getting. Don't even get me started on Crawford playing there, he's a liability outside, not an asset. You line him up there and you're playing with one arm tied behind your back.

But yup that 8-9M number makes sense. MIA eats 2-3M for alowish pick. And even if they use half of the 9M for someone else they can probably get Quinn in on one 1 yr from Miami for a middling 2020 pick and 5M.
They'd likely re-coup pick in 2021.

I can't help but to think an extension is involved in the Quinn trade. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's my feeling at this point.

Little Jr

Reaction score
Sturm is my favorite media guy and I love reading his stuff but I wish he and members here, who I also love to read, would just take some time to understand the cap before they speak on it.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Why is it a forgone conclusion that Byron is getting this massive contract?

Hes had 1 good year out of 4 which happened to come in s contract year.

Let him go if it cones down to it

I tend to agree somewhat.....said in another thread he needs interceptions ( as in top 5 ) this season to be considered for a long-term deal. Hard to see him being worthy of $14-16M at this time.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I am concerned too, but not about the cap hit. I am concerned and skeptical as to why the Phins are willing to trade...and essentially pay a team to take him off their hands, for a bag of donuts...I am concerned about team chemistry...and fit.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
If the Cowboys sign all of their pending FA's to long term deals their cap hits will be significantly lower then anticipated.

DLaw - should get a deal averaging 17 million a season lower then the 20 million franchise tag
Zeke - should get a deal around what Bell got or Gurley got. 14 million a season.
Cooper - should get a deal around 15 million per season
Jones - should get a deal around 14 million per season
Dak - 22-25 million a season. Lets say 25 million

On my count that is about 85 million for all those signings.

Based on their current contracts without those signings they have almost 112 million available in cap space next season. 112-85 = 37 million remaining in cap space. Even if say my projections above are low in some cases. Lets say we have 30 million left.

That's without Crawford probably being cut next season. And contracts for this years draft class. And any restructures to current contracts.

So I wouldn't say the Cowboys are in salary cap trouble.
It cracks me up for Cowboys fans to think 30m in cap space in nothing

And like you said that is before cuts, restructures and extensions

When you have large contracts cap space is always available

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I am concerned too, but not about the cap hit. I am concerned and skeptical as to why the Phins are willing to trade...and essentially pay a team to take him off their hands, for a bag of donuts...I am concerned about team chemistry...and fit.
It is a rebuild..... plain and simple

Trade or dump all assets or large contracts...... accumulate picks and cap space

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I doubt Dallas would even be considering Quinn if it would cause any appreciable cap strain.

CWR

Reaction score
I don't even think they'd keep Jones to be honest. With the CB whisperer on the staff, shouldn't be hard to replace.

I agree, I think Jordan Lewis and Anthony Brown will get ample opportunities to step up this season. Ultimately Jordan Lewis takes that spot imo.

HungryLion

Reaction score
My own theory is that the Cowboys may have allocated $8-$9 million that they told Earl Thomas they were willing to pay him on a multi-year contract. Now that his signing is obviously not going to happen, they may look into using that same amount on an extension with Quinn.

Again, just a theory.

I am totally ok with this, if that’s indeed the case.

If they sign Quinn and resign D-Law that removes DE as a major need. It would free up the cowboys to draft a safety in the 2nd or 3rd if they so choose.