Sturm concerns on Quinn potential cap hit

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am totally ok with this, if that’s indeed the case.

If they sign Quinn and resign D-Law that removes DE as a major need. It would free up the cowboys to draft a safety in the 2nd or 3rd if they so choose.

They could also sign a much cheaper veteran SS like George Iloka.

(Yes, I will continue to bang that drum until he signs elsewhere!)

Verdict

Reaction score
Dak, Amari, Dlaw, Zeke, and BJones is going to count $90 mill on cap next year?

Seriously?

Probably not, but some of that may end up being borrowed from next year to extend Dak and a few others this year.

I would not be surprised to see Dak, Amari, Zeke and maybe even Byron all get extensions this off season even though none of them are technically required yet. Is Jaylon also eligible for an extension now?

Verdict

Reaction score
If this trade is truly happening , they're working on the exact figures...................Dallas has finally gotten their cap situation where they want it (a very manageable situation) , and they're not going to risk jeopardizing that for 1 situational type player...............................

That would be prudent.

Sydla

Reaction score

Their lack of interest in Iloka is peculiar to me. Richard must have some issue with him because he would seem like an ideal fit from a size perspective as well as a scheme fit considering he played pretty well in a similar scheme in Cincy.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It seems like he signed a 10 year deal. Lol. We have been talking about his contract for years.

Yeah, it was a matter of compounding one mistake while quickly making another.

They moved to sign Crawford - a 3-4 defensive end - early because they thought he could be the Warren Sap of their defense. That was mistake number one. They then needed cap space and quickly doubled down on that first mistake by restructuring and guaranteeing even more of the deal. That locked them in to overpaying for even more years.

Now, they've finally reached the point where it pays to get out of the deal rather than costing even more. They need to use that advantage.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Their lack of interest in Iloka is peculiar to me. Richard must have some issue with him because he would seem like an ideal fit from a size perspective as well as a scheme fit considering he played pretty well in a similar scheme in Cincy.

I don't know how much influence Richard could have had last year, just arriving himself. I think he likely carries a lot more input this year so it should be telling to see what they do. But nobody can be happy with what they're currently getting.

garyv

Reaction score
we have plenty of money and manuverality to sign all of our guys and make whatever moves we want.

We are in the best cap situation we have been in aisin the cap era.

I agree. Now to get our big boys Dak, DLaw, BJones, Zeke, Coop all signed and add guys like Quinn we might have to restructure Zack Martin and another but it can be done.
I think it comes down to how much of it do you want to use up or be locked into the whole enchilada or leave some open that's where we are really headed.

starfan1

Reaction score
If they're all being paid their contract averages? It would likely be close:
Dak $28-$30 million
Amari $17 million
DLaw $20 million
Zeke $14 million
Jones $15 million

That's like what? About $94 million in total?
I could be wrong here and hope that I am but I’m thinking Jones is going to get pinched out.

They are looking future and besides those you mentioned they will also have jaylon although he maybe the year after

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I could be wrong here and hope that I am but I’m thinking Jones is going to get pinched out.

They are looking future and besides those you mentioned they will also have jaylon although he maybe the year after

I agree. If there's one guy that doesn't make the cut, it's Byron Jones. I'm not saying I'm campaigning for it to happen, I'm not. But if I had to let one guy go, it would be the guy that got me zero interceptions in 2018.

JustChip

Reaction score
Do you really want a guy from a team that is willing to pay half his salary in order to get rid of him?

Miami is essentially getting a margin call from their broker (themselves in this case). They're having to sell quality assets at an unfavorable price to meet the margin call.

JustChip

Reaction score
I think he’s easily worth the 7M we would save by cutting him. He’s not great, but he’s solid, a good teammate, and he can play multiple positions. Starter quality DL are expensive.

I know position flex is an anathema to many, but it's extremely valuable in a rotation piece. Crawford is not All-Pro, but he is more than acceptable as a spot rotation guy that enables you to maybe go 1 light in the DL because of his ability to play both inside and outside. That potentially gained roster spot may be critical somewhere else. It's the same concept as the OL where someone that plays C/G or G/T is very beneficial. Of course, position flex isn't a trump for skill. Flex is as worthless at breasts on a boar hog if the player sucks.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Probably not, but some of that may end up being borrowed from next year to extend Dak and a few others this year.

I would not be surprised to see Dak, Amari, Zeke and maybe even Byron all get extensions this off season even though none of them are technically required yet. Is Jaylon also eligible for an extension now?

He's 2020 RFA........other words, considering his potential not that he's healthy, he could very well get offers.

TWOK11

Reaction score
Dak, Amari, Dlaw, Zeke, and BJones is going to count $90 mill on cap next year?

Seriously?

Probably closer to $65 million, but still a big number

Of course the prevailing thought is one of DL or BJ won’t be on the roster next year, and technically Zeke’s cap hit could actually be less with a new deal as opposed to his 5th year option hit.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Miami is essentially getting a margin call from their broker (themselves in this case). They're having to sell quality assets at an unfavorable price to meet the margin call.

Interesting take but anyway you slice it, margin calls are never good........LOL

TWOK11

Reaction score
If they're all being paid their contract averages? It would likely be close:
Dak $28-$30 million
Amari $17 million
DLaw $20 million
Zeke $14 million
Jones $15 million

That's like what? About $94 million in total?

That’s not really how it works though. A players pay in a given year generally doesn’t equal his actual cap hit.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

drumstep.gif

GEORGE ILOKADB, UNSIGNED FREE AGENT

Free agent S George Iloka is visiting the Raiders on Wednesday.
It appears DC Paul Guenther is trying to get the old Bengals band back together. After signing Vontaze Burfict on Tuesday, Iloka, who also played six seasons under Guenther in Cincinnati, is in the building. Iloka spent last season in Minnesota, playing just 116 defensive snaps.

RELATED:
SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Mar 20, 2019, 9:21 AM