Twitter: Sturm on Zeke contract

Common Sense

Reaction score
Really?!?

How about this...

Zeke holds out and we start 0-2 and then he gets paid.

Or we just pay him fair market value and win.

If this team can't win a single game without Zeke, then it isn't a contender in the first place, so your point is moot. Paying a RB 15M a year is idiotic regardless of who the player is.

Common Sense

Reaction score
I will remember that the next time he vaults over a defender like a hurdle in a Sprint race on the way to the end zone.

Yeah..common stuff.

What does that have to do with winning football games? He could just as easily give himself a career ending injury doing that.

RBs are the 1-techniques of offense. All you need them to do is average 4+ a carry and pass block. That's not a rare skill set. If you're paying for anything beyond that you're wasting money.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
I agree. Plus Zeke has proven to be unreliable. Next year’s tag would not shock me. I see him playing in Dallas for only 2 more seasons.

Where do you come up with stuff like unreliable? When did he prove he was unreliable? Because of the bogus suspension? That’s ridiculous. The dude hasn’t missed a game because of injury. That’s pretty damn reliable. What exactly is unreliable? :huh:

Flamma

Reaction score
If this team can't win a single game without Zeke, then it isn't a contender in the first place, so your point is moot. Paying a RB 15M a year is idiotic regardless of who the player is.

It depends on how your offense is set up. You remember the 1993 season, right? We got stomped by the Commanders and lost to the Bills without Emmitt. The Commanders went 4-12 that year, and the Bills, we shouldn't be losing to the Bills.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
That means absolutely nothing. When an extension is agreed to that 5th year option is still a part of the contract. The agent gets to announce the inflated extension numbers and the team still has that extra year that keeps the average down in their bookkeeping.

The only time an nfl team refuses the 5th year option is when the option is more than what the player is worth.
I really don't think Zeke will accept the overall compensation with that 5th year option. If they exercise that option and not renegotiate he will sit.

Last edited:

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
What does that have to do with winning football games? He could just as easily give himself a career ending injury doing that.

RBs are the 1-techniques of offense. All you need them to do is average 4+ a carry and pass block. That's not a rare skill set. If you're paying for anything beyond that you're wasting money.
Really?

You seem to think RBs are disposable.

My entire lifetime of following this team..

we have never won anything without a great RB.

Don Perkins

Danny Reeves

Walt Garrison

Hershel Walker

Calvin Hill

Ron Springs

Preston Pearson

Tony Dorsett

Duane Thomas

Emmitt Smith

Zeke.

It is the way this team wins or ever has won.

I think you are just trying to be obstinate.

Good luck with that.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score

Last year, 3 running backs were drafted in the first round and 3 more went in the second. So the league appears to value them a little more highly than 1 techs.

aria

Reaction score
In the offense Dallas uses, not much has changed at all and running the ball down the defense’s throat never goes out of style.
And that’s why we haven’t won a Super Bowl, or anything significant for that matter, since the 90’s.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Where do you come up with stuff like unreliable? When did he prove he was unreliable? Because of the bogus suspension? That’s ridiculous. The dude hasn’t missed a game because of injury. That’s pretty damn reliable. What exactly is unreliable? :huh:

You trust this guy with a big contract given his history and that he will be at an age when backs decline? Grow a brain.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Zeke will become the highest paid HB in the NFL this off-season....and by the way the young man has earned it hands down!!!

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
5th year option and a tag or two gives me 6-7 years then bye. Heck I’m drafting one this year or next and if EE balks I’ll keep on trucking. If Miles Sanders (highly doubtful) or Mike Weber (possible) is sitting there in the 3rd it would be hard for me to pass. Wes Hills in the 4th could be interesting too. No way am I doing anything long term with a RB I’m reserving that money for hard to find players QB, LB, pass rushers, and CBs.
Signing the extension is actually cheaper against the cap for 3 years

Give him a 4/60m extension and it ends up as a 6/74m deal in total with 35m in gtds
20m signing bonus........2021 base guarantees next Spring

1m base......4m old...........4m bonus...........9m cap hit
14m base..........................4m bonus..........18m cap hit(restructured to a 7.6m cap hit)
7m base............................6.6m bonus........13.6m cap hit
9m base*..........................6.6m bonus........15.6m cap hit
11m base*.........................6.6m bonus........17.6m cap hit
12m base*.........................2.6m bonus........14.6m cap hit
* - essentially non-guaranteed Team Options

going year to year- Zeke is very unhappy....... only 2020 base gtds next Spring
4m base..............4m bonus..............8m cap hit
10m Fifth year option.......................10m cap hit
12m Franchise Tag...........................12m cap hit
14.4m FT2........................................14.4m cap hit

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Is the goal to have it?
It should be

It means you have an advanced level understanding of the salary cap and contracts

Fear of Dead Money is childish and old fashioned.... it is like punting on 4th and 3 from your opponents 40 yd line even though all the analytics show going for it is smarter..... Old School mumbo jumbo

Verdict

Reaction score
I can see it happening.

Learn absolutely nothing from the Todd Gurley situation other than how to overpay for a running back and end up regretting it.

Does nobody else see the line where it mentions "to cut him"?

Let it play out, let him hold out. I'll plan for it by having a better backup running back than I do right now, or by drafting his eventual replacement.

But take a look around the league and show me the happy endings when teams give these second big money contracts to running backs. Good luck in advance!

I have been saying this for some time. It is critical to get a top shelf backup RB on this roster. I would probably trade for Duke Johnson, or draft a guy that can be THE GUY if necessary.

Dallas holds the rights to Zeke for two more years plus a tag, or two if they want. He can’t hold out 5 years. If the Cowboys don’t get a competent backup they are doing themselves a disservice.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
You trust this guy with a big contract given his history and that he will be at an age when backs decline? Grow a brain.

You called him unreliable. You bring up his “history” where we all know that suspension was a joke. :rolleyes:

Tussinman

Reaction score
Closer to 90% chance he plays..... it will be for around 10m so it isn't chump change
That is true. I keep forgetting how RB isn't exactly a money position. His top 5 pick contract from 2016 is still present day fringe top 5 guaranteed amount for his position in 2019.

Regardless they won't play with 5th options or tags since those two could cover majority of the guaranteed portion of a 4 year deal. They have till May 2nd to add the tag for 2020

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Gurley is a very good RB but he has also dealt with knee injuries dating back to college. Zeke has not had to deal with injuries and to me it is the injuries that shorten the career of RB's more than anything. As far as a RB on 2nd contract worked out great for Lynch and the Seahawks.

Zeke has already started to slow down...ala Earl Campbell. If we were smart...we would trade him right now..and draft this kid in the 2nd.

504qjY

Miles Sanders RB Penn St.