Twitter: Sturm on Zeke contract

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Zeke is not a once in a generation type TB. There have been few of those guys IMO - Peterson, Bo Jackson, Walker........... guys that transcended the position with their talents and freakish skills.

Elliott isn't that guy. Don't mistake me, he's a great TB but he's not a generational talent IMO. To me, generational talents are guys that are freakish at the positions they play......... think of Randy Moss when he came out.
I will remember that the next time he vaults over a defender like a hurdle in a Sprint race on the way to the end zone.

Yeah..common stuff.

I think you can put him in your catagory of RBs who you think are better.

But it's weird you would leave out Dorsett and Emmitt Smith off your list.

And Hershel Walker and Calvin Hill.

You must not have seen them play.

HofF RBs we have had you do not even mention.

Zeke is proving he is cut from the same cloth.

I disagree.

Zeke is the whole reason we are considered SB contenders.

:grin:

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I think the Cowboys will pick up his 5th year option, franchise him for two years and then cut him loose

This would be my plan as well except franchise him for 1 year with the hope someone will give up a couple of premium picks for him. If not, I’d run him into the ground if he signs that franchise tag. Hopefully this is a lesson learned that you don’t draft RBs with a top 20 pick. Your starting RB should always be on a rookie deal with a low wage veteran backup. Draft another RB every 2-3 years and just run them ragged and cut them loose. You can lose your starting RB on any given play so I would never commit sizable money to a RB. I would instead commit a 2nd or 3rd round pick every 2-3 years to the position and let them know they will be plenty showcased for their next contract but if they want too much money it will come from someone else.

aria

Reaction score
If you caught the Rich Eisen interview I posted with DeMarcus Lawrence yesterday..

he talks about the reason they lost to the Rams was because the team was tired from the Seattle game.

The team had dead legs.

I thought that when watching the game.

They looked in slow motion compared to the regular season jump they had.

So this is not just my making a factoid statement.

A guy that played the game said it.

Go back and listen.

:huh:
I heard them talking about it on the local radio and laughed to myself. What a horrible excuse, like no other teams have to play wild card games. They got their arses kicked, plain and simple. I don’t want to hear any excuses, especially “we were tired”. I like Dlaw a lot but that rubbed me the wrong way. It sounds more like a bunch of excuse making quitters than a team with Super Bowl aspirations.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Prediction: They will run Zeke into the ground and not sign him to a second contract. The F.O. will invest big montey on the QB, WR, and MLB.

I agree. Plus Zeke has proven to be unreliable. Next year’s tag would not shock me. I see him playing in Dallas for only 2 more seasons.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I heard them talking about it on the local radio and laughed to myself. What a horrible excuse, like no other teams have to play wild card games. They got their arses kicked, plain and simple. I don’t want to hear any excuses, especially “we were tired”. I like Dlaw a lot but that rubbed me the wrong way. It sounds more like a bunch of excuse making quitters than a team with Super Bowl aspirations.
Ok, bro.

Whatever.

I do not think any of them were quitting.

Tyrone Smith, injured.

Beard ill.

Our backup center a journeyman player.

They had just gone 8-2 to get to the Rams game?

Beat Seattle in the playoffs, a SB contender.

Had 7 guys go to the Pro Bowl?

Quitters?

Oh my.

I have heard a lot of negative statements about the coach and owner.

But the team?

Come on, man..

:eek:

Last edited:

Tussinman

Reaction score
Why?

Because he will hold out?
Zero chance a potential 3x All-Pro/2x NFL rushing champ plays on a 5th year.

5th year options are for players that shown only flashes of excellence, have been injured during the rookie deal, or have only had 1 great season (Byron Jones is the perfect example of someone you 5th year).

There's no chance Zeke's agent would ever let him play on what is essentially a "prove it" tag for rookies

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

5th year options are for players that shown only flashes of excellence, have been injured during the rookie deal, or have only had 1 great season (Byron Jones is the perfect example of someone you 5th year).

There's no chance Zeke's agent would ever let him play on what is essentially a "prove it" tag for rookies
Closer to 90% chance he plays..... it will be for around 10m so it isn't chump change

He has no leverage..... he doesn't play he doesn't get a year's service and they fine him to Bolivion

He has no choice whether to sign it or not....it is forced

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Considering that Zeke is about 90% of the offense, they have to pay him. Zeke also makes Dak a much better player. For all of the fans that don’t want him resigned to a second contract, take a look at how much E. Smith meant for the Cowboys during the 90’s.
No cap then and he got a 4 year deal for what they're talking about for Elliott for 1 year.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The minute any team can point to their RB as the reason they won the SB is the minute I will reverse no 2nd contracts for a RB making that kind of money.

If they do a new deal with Elliott and then Prescott, they are headed right back to where they were, too much money to too few players and no team in their right mind gives top 5 money to a QB that they have to also give top 5 to a RB. And where does Cooper fit in here? The Cowboys are in danger of getting so imbalanced on cap on the O that they will struggle keeping a D together.

What position is the most plentiful and easiest for a rookie to play? Do not need a top 5 RB if they have, and can keep together, a top 5 OL.

Those that do not learn from the past are condemned to repeat it and Starball hasn't worked since FA came into being and Booger is a sucker for it.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Signing Zeke soon is the smart move.

If you sign him to a 5 year deal now. He is happy. His contract expires when he is 28 years old.

You could cut him after 4 years when he is only 27.

Even with the heavy workload. Top end workhorse running backs are usually still producing well by the time they reach 28.

Say you sign him now and he plays out his contract, all the while producing at a pro bowl/ all pro level.

Then you got 8 years of high caliber, top end play out of your #4 overall pick and he is off the books and not costing you any more cap space. Unless you want him to be.

It’s a win/win

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score

Was not looking at it that way.

Doubt Dallas would ask him to considering his play.

To lower the cap..

all of these guys will probably be signed in the next 6 months or before the next draft.

There are then a bunch of players unsigned after 2020.

Something like over 30+ players as of now.

So the FO gonna be busy.

:thumbdown:

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I suspect he won't play that 5th year.
That means absolutely nothing. When an extension is agreed to that 5th year option is still a part of the contract. The agent gets to announce the inflated extension numbers and the team still has that extra year that keeps the average down in their bookkeeping.

The only time an nfl team refuses the 5th year option is when the option is more than what the player is worth.

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
5th year option and a tag or two gives me 6-7 years then bye. Heck I’m drafting one this year or next and if EE balks I’ll keep on trucking. If Miles Sanders (highly doubtful) or Mike Weber (possible) is sitting there in the 3rd it would be hard for me to pass. Wes Hills in the 4th could be interesting too. No way am I doing anything long term with a RB I’m reserving that money for hard to find players QB, LB, pass rushers, and CBs.

aria

Reaction score
Ok, bro.

Whatever.

I do not think any of them were quitting.

Tyrone Smith, injured.

Beard ill.

Our backup center a journeyman player.

They had just gone 8-2 to get to the Rams game?

Beat Seattle in the playoffs, a SB contender.

Had 7 guys go to the Pro Bowl?

Quitters?

Oh my.

I have heard a lot of negative statements about the coach and owner.

But the team?

Come on, man..

:eek:
I never accused them of quitting, I said they sound like quitters. Big difference. Regardless, that’s a weak and lame excuse. Better hope they get some new players or they win the conference if that’s going to be their excuse this year.

Mr_437

Reaction score
The QB needs Zeke more than anybody, so without Zeke might as well find a better QB. The running game is what has helped the Cowboys get to the playoffs not the passing game. But, go ahead and put another McFadden in the backfield, and see how many begging to draft a RB1 in the first round of the next draft.

Pay Zeke soon and secure the window...no different than DLaw.

Flamma

Reaction score
Signing Zeke soon is the smart move.

If you sign him to a 5 year deal now. He is happy. His contract expires when he is 28 years old.

You could cut him after 4 years when he is only 27.

Even with the heavy workload. Top end workhorse running backs are usually still producing well by the time they reach 28.

Say you sign him now and he plays out his contract, all the while producing at a pro bowl/ all pro level.

Then you got 8 years of high caliber, top end play out of your #4 overall pick and he is off the books and not costing you any more cap space. Unless you want him to be.

It’s a win/win

I think this is the best idea too. The reason I say it is because of his age. He's only 23 years old and we can get his best years out of him.