Twitter: Sturm on Zeke contract

blueblood70

Reaction score
First time hearing any Zeke numbers.....Strum's usually pretty reliable but these numbers are odd, especially saying they're coming from Stephen

that was BEFORTE Bells deal and IMO that helps us and shows Gurleys was a dumb move and out of the true numbers a RB should be Bells is where I would try and start..

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
First time hearing any Zeke numbers.....Strum's usually pretty reliable but these numbers are odd, especially saying they're coming from Stephen

Gurley averages 14.375M.

His cap hit in any given year is irrelevant because that's just a function of how that specific year is structured.

Le'Veon Bell's contract which was just signed averages 13.125M.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Zeke's going to want at least 13 mil a year. Wonder if Dallas will pay that much or just move on in 2 years.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Gurley averages 14.375M.

His cap hit in any given year is irrelevant because that's just a function of how that specific year is structured.

Le'Veon Bell's contract which was just signed averages 13.125M.
Gurley signed a 4yr/57m extension to his rookie deal with 1 year left

It is actually a 5/60m deal or 12m AAV
DJohnson got 4/41m total or 10.5m AAV

If Zeke does the same it will be added to the 3.8m he is due this year or the 10m he will get next year as a 5th year player

ksg811

Reaction score
Gurley signed a 4yr/57m extension to his rookie deal with 1 year left

It is actually a 5/60m deal or 12m AAV
DJohnson got 4/41m total or 10.5m AAV

If Zeke does the same it will be added to the 3.8m he is due this year or the 10m he will get next year as a 5th year player

Zeke’s 5th year option is only 9m, not 10. Options for top 10 picks are equal to the transition tag amount in the player’s 4th season. Transition tag for RB this year is 9.099m.

Johnny23

Reaction score
Did it? How did that situation end?
He won them a Super Bowl and would have won them a second but we all know what happened. The problem with Lynch was he completely quit mentally after Super Bowl 49. Subsequently got hurt in 2015. Those Woke Hawks wasted a chance at a dynasty.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Because this head coach looks at football..in 2019...through a lens formed decades ago. The idea of needing the best players at every position...to be better/more physical than the man in front of them...

It's the CYA lens.
It's the "Don't blame the coaching staff" ideology.

CWR

Reaction score
I can see it happening.

Learn absolutely nothing from the Todd Gurley situation other than how to overpay for a running back and end up regretting it.

Does nobody else see the line where it mentions "to cut him"?

Let it play out, let him hold out. I'll plan for it by having a better backup running back than I do right now, or by drafting his eventual replacement.

But take a look around the league and show me the happy endings when teams give these second big money contracts to running backs. Good luck in advance!

The sooner he gets that contract the better off we are. Id do it now and be off the hook for guaranteed money 3 or 4 seasons from now.

Its either that or we exercise his fifth year option and franchise him a year. In which case he will hold out. I dunno just food for thought.

I think we get one more year under his current contract before he holds out. If that wasn't the case Id let him play it out.

Thomas82

Reaction score
Have not posted in a long time....mainly because of my frustration with this front office...but mostly Garrett. Anyway....if Stephen/Jerry do not want to pay for players that are top 3 - 5 at their position....then they need to get a head coach that can actually devise a scheme....on both offense AND defense....that allows lesser talented players...to perform above their heads. But if you are going to turn around....and stick the ball in Zekes gut on 1st and 2nd down(in the face of 8 and 9 man fronts)....and then ask him to catch it or pass protect on 3rd down....that kind of usage COSTS!

I said it from day 1....to get proper return on using a pick that high on a RB...was to ensure you get highly productive 7 - 8 years out of that RB. So any suggestion of running him into the ground and dumping him is a bad idea. You should use Zeke in a manner that keeps him fresh for the 4th quarter and fresh for the playoffs. Once you commit a top 5 pick to that position...you cannot treat him like any other RB. First of all..he is that GOOD. Secondly....since he is that GOOD....do what is needed to have him around for a long time. I would much rather him get 100 yards on 20 carries...especially if his runs at the ends of games are productive...then to get 100 yards on 26 - 30 carries...and he is getting stuffed short of the first down when we are trying to close games.

The Neanderthal way of playing football is totally wrong. Which is why I have stopped posting. Because this head coach looks at football..in 2019...through a lens formed decades ago. The idea of needing the best players at every position...to be better/more physical than the man in front of them...is why we are stuck in constant "trust the process" mode. We are always 1 year away from the perfect roster...and then...then we will be ready to make our run. Somebody must have forgotten to tell Doug Pederson or Sean McVeigh that they are breaking the "process" rule!

Very well said!! :clap::clap::clap:

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
I would offer Zeke 3 years with a fully guaranteed $45M that kicks in 2020 (decline 5th year option).

speedkilz88

Reaction score
The sooner he gets that contract the better off we are. Id do it now and be off the hook for guaranteed money 3 or 4 seasons from now.

Its either that or we exercise his fifth year option and franchise him a year. In which case he will hold out. I dunno just food for thought.

I think we get one more year under his current contract before he holds out. If that wasn't the case Id let him play it out.
Exercising the 5th year option is a given regardless.

jnday

Reaction score
Considering that Zeke is about 90% of the offense, they have to pay him. Zeke also makes Dak a much better player. For all of the fans that don’t want him resigned to a second contract, take a look at how much E. Smith meant for the Cowboys during the 90’s.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Prediction: They will run Zeke into the ground and not sign him to a second contract. The F.O. will invest big montey on the QB, WR, and MLB.
I do not think so.

This is not DeMarco Murray here.

Zeke is a once in a generation RB.

If anything, we will draft a RB higher than we all think to help split his carries and save him for post season.

He ran out of gas by the Rams game and had a spectacular season.

But now we know.

Him not playing 6 games in 2017 propelled him last year.

Remember how moribund our offense was before Zeke came?

Whar you are saying Is any RB can run behind this line and we can win.

Remember Albert Morris and Darren McFadden?

Smith last year was ineffective and will not be back.

Randle before them was a bust.

We found out that is a pipe dream when Randle had to play after Murray left.

Our whole team identity is based on Zeke.

Offensive and defensive.

You do not fool with that.

He is everybody's meal ticket.

:thumbup:

Last edited:

aria

Reaction score
Considering that Zeke is about 90% of the offense, they have to pay him. Zeke also makes Dak a much better player. For all of the fans that don’t want him resigned to a second contract, take a look at how much E. Smith meant for the Cowboys during the 90’s.
This isn’t the 90’s, a lot has changed.

aria

Reaction score
I do not think so.

If anything, we will draft a RB higher than we all think to help split his carries and save him for post season.

But now we know.

Offensive and defensive.

Ran out of gas?! That was his second game in 3 weeks. So he’s good for one playoff game?

Kaiser

Reaction score
But take a look around the league and show me the happy endings when teams give these second big money contracts to running backs.

BOB KRAFT JOKE BOB KRAFT JOKE BOB KRAFT JOKE BOB KRAFT JOKE BOB KRAFT JOKE BOB KRAFT JOKE BOB KRAFT JOKE

Sydla

Reaction score
I do not think so.

But now we know.

Offensive and defensive.

Zeke is not a once in a generation type TB. There have been few of those guys IMO - Peterson, Bo Jackson, Walker........... guys that transcended the position with their talents and freakish skills.

Elliott isn't that guy. Don't mistake me, he's a great TB but he's not a generational talent IMO. To me, generational talents are guys that are freakish at the positions they play......... think of Randy Moss when he came out.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Ran out of gas?! That was his second game in 3 weeks. So he’s good for one playoff game?
If you caught the Rich Eisen interview I posted with DeMarcus Lawrence yesterday..

he talks about the reason they lost to the Rams was because the team was tired from the Seattle game.

The team had dead legs.

I thought that when watching the game.

They looked in slow motion compared to the regular season jump they had.

So this is not just my making a factoid statement.

A guy that played the game said it.

Go back and listen.

:huh: