Success of season rest on Daks health

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Pending if Rams are improved with Stafford.

To me there's no "if" about it, I think we'll see Goff be average at best and Stafford light up the league.

Of course there's always injuries to contend with, that does make a difference, regardless of what some say.

Imo, of course....

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Everyone has flaws but those teams being a level above the Cowboys will be able to expose the Cowboys flaws. I think the defense of Dallas is gonna be surprising good. I think the flaws will be in the offensive line and that will lead to Daks inability to read and get rid of the ball quickly to be exposed. Actually it's already been exposed and the better defenses have done that.

The o-line has the potential to be great, very good, average or below average. That depends on the health of Smith and Collins. If Collins is as good as he was in 2019 and Smith anywhere near his best days, I believe the line will be at least very good...

aikemirv

Reaction score
You think our defense could be enough to carry this team if Dak goes down?

You think Dak is enough to carry us if we have the defense we did last year? I point to games 1-5 to prove my point. However, when our defense started playing a bit more respectable at the end of the year we actually won some games! Won 3 of our last 4!

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
You think Dak is enough to carry us if we have the defense we did last year? I point to games 1-5 to prove my point. However, when our defense started playing a bit more respectable at the end of the year we actually won some games! Won 3 of our last 4!

Yeah but that wasn't Dak at quarterback. Whether they would have still won those 3 is open to debate (to some, not myself, by the way). You would think so, maybe even won 4 or even all 5 of them, but no guarantees...

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Well, we did go 2-3 in those first 5 games only losing to playoff teams. And IMO we started winning at end of year with better backup QB play against more beatable teams.

Yea, the defense begun playing a little better when some of the injured players returned.

I think if Dak had played entire season we win the division.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
To me there's no "if" about it, I think we'll see Goff be average at best and Stafford light up the league.

Of course there's always injuries to contend with, that does make a difference, regardless of what some say.

Imo, of course....
So, the team surrounding you does make a difference.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Backup QBs rarely work out if the starter goes down for a significant amount of time. The league is so starved for QBs that quality backups that give a team a legit chance of continuing on as a contender are pretty much not a thing anymore, if they ever were in the first place. Unless you happen to have lightening strike, nobody has a contending QB on the bench.
I agree. I wasn’t referring to a contending backup like Foles was that year. I’m talking about a backup who can come in and win a couple games if needed while the starter is out.

Like we had last year with Dalton. Best backup we’ve had in years. I’d suggest we pursue another seasoned veteran backup in case Dak went down a few games. That’s all I’m saying. We’ve done that in the past with great success like Buerlein and Kosar.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That's okay. In case you didn't know, injuries can't be thought into existence. That would be hocus pocus stuff that just is not real.
You may have misinterpreted my intention. It wasn’t meant to suggest he’d be injured again. It was only meant to be part of the thought process for the rest of us looking on.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Well, we did go 2-3 in those first 5 games only losing to playoff teams. And IMO we started winning at end of year with better backup QB play against more beatable teams.

Yea, the defense begun playing a little better when some of the injured players returned.

I think if Dak had played entire season we win the division.

I have just never been concerned about Dak's health or his recovery even since the injury. I saw no reason he would not make a full recovery and be ready to go. My biggest concern is the defense in general and then the health of Allen and Collins for successful season.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I agree. I wasn’t referring to a contending backup like Foles was that year. I’m talking about a backup who can come in and win a couple games if needed while the starter is out.

Like we had last year with Dalton. Best backup we’ve had in years. I’d suggest we pursue another seasoned veteran backup in case Dak went down a few games. That’s all I’m saying. We’ve done that in the past with great success like Buerlein and Kosar.

Though Buerlein and Kosar weren't backups on even average teams, even without Aikman the team was very good....

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I have just never been concerned about Dak's health or his recovery even since the injury. I saw no reason he would not make a full recovery and be ready to go. My biggest concern is the defense in general and then the health of Allen and Collins for successful season.

Dak's injury was awful looking, but mostly broken bones. Those usually heal up very well, in the short term.

No doubt years from now he'll have to deal with my old nemesis Arthur, but that'll be after he's done playing...

aikemirv

Reaction score
Dak's injury was awful looking, but mostly broken bones. Those usually heal up very well, in the short term.

No doubt years from now he'll have to deal with my old nemesis Arthur, but that'll be after he's done playing...
Yeah dislocations are ugly for sure. They never really gave any great details of the broken bones that I saw.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
You may have misinterpreted my intention. It wasn’t meant to suggest he’d be injured again. It was only meant to be part of the thought process for the rest of us looking on.
I didn't realize you are the spokesperson for the thought process for the rest of us. Please forgive me. :rolleyes:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are two different types of backups and Dallas had the best kind, the future starter, in Beuerlein and Romo but have failed to get the next guy because they haven't gone after him.

SF and GB got ahead of the curve with Young, Favre and then Rodgers and now, Love, but few teams follow that path because finding one quality QB1 is a tall order.

I think most of them look at it like the Cowboys, lose the QB1 for too long and the season is over. It's the inherent risk in the game when the going rate for a good QB is going to be 20% of the cap.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Yeah dislocations are ugly for sure. They never really gave any great details of the broken bones that I saw.

Everything I've heard mentioned "compound fractures", which I always heard is meaning bones broken in more than one spot. Sometimes used the same as open fracture, in which the bone pierces the skin.
But it did say the ankle was dislocated as well. Fracture has different meanings, I guess it could mean the bones were pulled apart rather than broken in two or severely cracked....