Sunday Combine Thread

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
tomson75;1967393 said:
I agree. I'm betting Faulk bases his "opinions" off of other peoples' thoughts. While I think Mayocks' rankings are pretty wack, at least he thinks for himself.
I'd agree to a point. I think they all base their opinions off other peoples' thoughts. But I just don't see Faulk tracking players like Mayock supposedly does. Faulk definitely knows the process and from a running back standpoint, his knowledge of the game shines.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
theogt;1967402 said:
Interesting to hear that Mayock had only watched 5 or 6 games of Woodson this season. For a guy that says he bases his opinion on watching coach's tape, you'd think he'd watch every game, at least for the top prospects.

He basically said he dropped Woodson in his rankings because he had a bad Senior Bowl week. That's ridiculous.
Kiper vs Mayock
On Film study

Kiper: If I told you that I watched every game that every player who was in this draft process played, I'd be lying. It is physically impossible. Plus, it is overanalyzing. If you need to do that, you don't know a football player from a hockey puck.

Mayock: Basically, the way I work is I try to concentrate on the Top 100 guys and watch a minimum of three or four game tapes on the Top 100. But since I am a one-man band, beyond that, I am really leaning on people around the league for the second-day guys. I can't see tape on every guy.

http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113015

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1967405 said:
I'd agree to a point. I think they all base their opinions off other peoples' thoughts. But I just don't see Faulk tracking players like Mayock supposedly does. Faulk definitely knows the process and from a running back standpoint, his knowledge of the game shines.

Yeah. That's basically what I'm thinking. It just doesn't seem like Faulk prepares himself. I swear you can see him trying to "remember" something when someone asks him his opinion on something...like he can't remember his own opinion.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1967412 said:
Kiper vs Mayock
On Film study

Kiper: If I told you that I watched every game that every player who was in this draft process played, I'd be lying. It is physically impossible. Plus, it is overanalyzing. If you need to do that, you don't know a football player from a hockey puck.

Mayock: Basically, the way I work is I try to concentrate on the Top 100 guys and watch a minimum of three or four game tapes on the Top 100. But since I am a one-man band, beyond that, I am really leaning on people around the league for the second-day guys. I can't see tape on every guy.

http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113015
You could watch every pass of every game for the top 5 QBs in one day. For guys that only have this do to all year round, it's a joke to say it's physically impossible.

Watching only 3-4 games is absurd.

Edit: Check out this quote from the same article:

Worst Pick

Mayock:
Maurice Jones-Drew Now, most of the league missed on him. He went in the second round (60th overall, 2006). I gave him a fourth-round grade. I was mad at myself because I let his height kind of keep me from watching tape on him. I said, He's 5-7, probably like Darren Sproles, and Sproles went in the fourth round, so I'll give him a fourth-round grade. You know what? Bad job. That kid is a great football player. And last year Marcus McNeill, who started every game at left tackle for the Chargers, I called him a heavy-legged waist bender and a medical reject. He ended up starting at left tackle for one of the best teams in football.
Wow. What an idiot.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
tomson75;1967390 said:
J. Charles - 4.36
C. Johnson - 4.39
F. Jones - 4.41
D. McFadden - 4.43
Mendenhall - 4.49
J. Stewart - 4.49

...and the big surprise:

R. Rice - 4.46

I'm doing pretty good so far.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Not the best time for Hart (4.67).

We're going to miss Johnson. We'll find out after the break.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Avery;1967428 said:
Not the best time for Hart (4.67).

We're going to miss Johnson. We'll find out after the break.

Ha...I think thats a good time for Hart.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
If Jamaal Charles runs faster than Chris Johnson, there will be a lot of upset people on this board.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
with the RB, FB, WR, TE, CB, LB

Have them run their 40s to start off with....then go through all the other tests.....then have them run their 40s again.

This way they can see how fast they are after being physically tested, to see if they can sustain the speed from beginning (fresh legs) to end (tired legs).

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
tomson75;1967431 said:
Ha...I think thats a good time for Hart.

I was expecting more of a 4.55 for him. Hart's not in my top ten, though.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
TheCount;1967432 said:
If Jamaal Charles runs faster than Chris Johnson, there will be a lot of upset people on this board.

I won't be upset...........HOOK EM HORNS

Jamaal would look damn good with a Star on his helmet come August.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Avery;1967434 said:
I was expecting more of a 4.55 for him. Hart's not in my top ten, though.

Sheeeet....I was expecting a 4.7 for Hart.

4.4 for Felix Jones.