Take this for what it's worth...

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
CATCH17;4526159 said:
If there is a guy that you just have to have than im all for trading up to get your guy.

Would you trade up for guys like JPP if you know what you know now?

If you think Fletcher Cox is the next JPP than you go up and get him.

If you think Mark Barron is a team leader / field general for the next 10 years than you go up and get him.

the problem is, you only know what you know "now." Anyone would trade up for JPP or for any other guy who produces at an All-Pro level, but you don't know.

Imagine if some team just had to have Tyson Alu Alu and traded ahead of Jacksonville to get him, all the while JPP went 5 picks later.

I'm not saying no one is worth trading up for, but if you have several prospects with similar grades and one need isn't that much more glaring, then the extra picks are worth it.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Manwiththeplan;4526214 said:
the problem is, you only know what you know "now." Anyone would trade up for JPP or for any other guy who produces at an All-Pro level, but you don't know.

Imagine if some team just had to have Tyson Alu Alu and traded ahead of Jacksonville to get him, all the while JPP went 5 picks later.

I'm not saying no one is worth trading up for, but if you have several prospects with similar grades and one need isn't that much more glaring, then the extra picks are worth it.

Thats why you gotta trust your scouting guys.

If you project Fletcher Cox as the next JPP or even Jay Ratliff than you go up and get him imo.

Dallas is in dire need of guys that can collapse the pocket. If we don't get it than we're going to be iffy on D all year.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I really wouldn't be all that broken hearted to give up a 3rd to move up to get the guy they want if that's Barron, because it's honestly been pretty difficult to project a good value for them at the 3rd round. Too high to take Broyles, IMHO. The buzz seems to be around Craig Hayward, but I think he'll be gone by that time. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Cowboys move down in the 2nd to reclaim that 3rd rounder if Zeitler, Sitoulou and Konz are off the board at #45, and pretty good chance they will be.

I don't think it can be stated enough how much of an improvement Barron should be over Brodney Poole. Broaddus said he broke down all of Poole's tape and said he flat out couldn't play, and it's rare for Broaddus to be that down on a Cowboys player. That's a party of two, Poole and Kevin Ogletree. He called him a 50/50 tackler (at best), no range, no instincts for the football. Keep in mind the Jets were so desperate for safeties that they gave LaRon Landry $4 million dollars after he couldn't pass a physical for the Commanders or Patriots. Poole is a guy that couldn't start for them , nor a player they had any interest in retaining. I think you're looking at another Alan Ball starting at FS. How many TDs or games would would Barron have to save with a last line of defense tackle or getting everyone lined up properly to prevent a busted coverage to be worth the midget slot WR people want to take in the 3rd round would provide?

Reaction score
theogt;4525815 said:
It would definitely set the team back. Running backs are a dime a dozen.

especially if run blocking remains a problem. Fix the OL first and then they will have an accurate understanding of what they've already got at the skill positions.

CashMan

Reaction score
I am not understanding the trading up for Cox. It is my understanding sacks usually come from the OLB in a 3-4, so how does giving up a bunch of picks for a DL make sense?

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
CATCH17;4526222 said:
Thats why you gotta trust your scouting guys.

If you project Fletcher Cox as the next JPP or even Jay Ratliff than you go up and get him imo.

Dallas is in dire need of guys that can collapse the pocket. If we don't get it than we're going to be iffy on D all year.

yea but part of trusting your scouts is staying put when they say Barron, DeCastro and Cox all have similar grades and 1 will be there.

and FWIW, I'm a huge proponent of drafting a DE that collapses the pocket, but if the price for Fletcher Cox is too high (likely will be) there will be several guys in round 2 who can get the job done.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
CashMan;4526235 said:
I am not understanding the trading up for Cox. It is my understanding sacks usually come from the OLB in a 3-4, so how does giving up a bunch of picks for a DL make sense?

When all you have are edge rusher and your interior guys get stone walled, you see Ware and Spencer rush up field only to watch the QB step up into a clean pocket. Even worse, Ware or Spencer try to make an inside move, and due to the interior guys not being there, guys like Vick, Rogers or now RG III will just escape the pocket and run for a first.

Yes OLBs get the sacks, but a player like Fletcher Cox will create a lot more sacks for a lot of guys.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;4526223 said:
I really wouldn't be all that broken hearted to give up a 3rd to move up to get the guy they want if that's Barron, because it's honestly been pretty difficult to project a good value for them at the 3rd round. Too high to take Broyles, IMHO. The buzz seems to be around Craig Hayward, but I think he'll be gone by that time. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Cowboys move down in the 2nd to reclaim that 3rd rounder if Zeitler, Sitoulou and Konz are off the board at #45, and pretty good chance they will be.

I don't think it can be stated enough how much of an improvement Barron should be over Brodney Poole. Broaddus said he broke down all of Poole's tape and said he flat out couldn't play, and it's rare for Broaddus to be that down on a Cowboys player. That's a party of two, Poole and Kevin Ogletree. He called him a 50/50 tackler (at best), no range, no instincts for the football. Keep in mind the Jets were so desperate for safeties that they gave LaRon Landry $4 million dollars after he couldn't pass a physical for the Commanders or Patriots. Poole is a guy that couldn't start for them , nor a player they had any interest in retaining. I think you're looking at another Alan Ball starting at FS. How many TDs or games would would Barron have to save with a last line of defense tackle or getting everyone lined up properly to prevent a busted coverage to be worth the midget slot WR people want to take in the 3rd round would provide?

That's why I think that when all is said and done, after all these tons of cyber-ink, we draft Barron. You have the obvious need, the links from the media to him, the Bama connection, the early Ryan comment that he was just looking at DBs... Too much evidence coming together there. I just hope we don't trade up for him. Or if we do that it's only a couple spots and nothing crazy.

I do hate giving away third rounders, though. Yeah, they could be Jason Williams, but they could be Jason Witten. Or at least Murray.

CashMan

Reaction score
Manwiththeplan;4526240 said:
Yes OLBs get the sacks, but a player like Fletcher Cox will create a lot more sacks for a lot of guys.

I understand that, I am not understanding trading into the top 10, specifically for a DL, I have no problem drafting one at 14, but to give up a bunch of picks to draft one seems odd. If they were trading up for a CB, I am ok with that.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
CashMan;4526245 said:
I understand that, I am not understanding trading into the top 10, specifically for a DL, I have no problem drafting one at 14, but to give up a bunch of picks to draft one seems odd. If they were trading up for a CB, I am ok with that.

Because he is a DL that creates pressure.

Pressure has never been more important in the NFL than it is now.

Thats why a guy like Bruce Irvin is being projected so high.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Hostile;4526254 said:
Get ready.

:mad: I was one of the first people on the forums to get behind the idea of drafting Barron, I was thrilled with the idea if we were able to trade back and grab him and ok with it without trading down however not thrilled. Now we are talking about trading up, he is just not that good of a prospect to make it worth it.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Romo 2 Austin;4526250 said:
If we tradeup to select Barron I will lose my mind in anger.
I'm pretty much with you. Even if he falls to us, I have a hard time believing he's that good. But if we trade up... Ugh.

Ben and Skin just said Werder is reporting that we don't think Barron will be there at 14, though, so if we really like him that much it looks like we will have to move up. I just hope we don't get suckered too bad if we do.

BTW, what happened to all the talk of every leak being plugged at Valley Ranch? There's as much media sourcing as ever this year.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;4526262 said:
I'm pretty much with you. Even if he falls to us, I have a hard time believing he's that good. But if we trade up... Ugh.

Ben and Skin just said Werder is reporting that we don't think Barron will be there at 14, though, so if we really like him that much it looks like we will have to move up. I just hope we don't get suckered too bad if we do.

I am ok with him at 14 because we have had such a long lasting need at safety and if Barron can live up to the Adrian Wilson comparisons it becomes worth the selection, however trading up for him does not seem worth it.

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;4526243 said:
That's why I think that when all is said and done, after all these tons of cyber-ink, we draft Barron. You have the obvious need, the links from the media to him, the Bama connection, the early Ryan comment that he was just looking at DBs... Too much evidence coming together there. I just hope we don't trade up for him. Or if we do that it's only a couple spots and nothing crazy.

I do hate giving away third rounders, though. Yeah, they could be Jason Williams, but they could be Jason Witten. Or at least Murray.

Our 3rd rounders since 2001:

'01: Willie Blade
'02: Derek Ross
'03: Jason Witten
'04: Stephen Peterman
'05: none
'06: Jason Hatcher
'07: James Marten
'08: none
'09: Jason Williams, Robert Brewster
'10: none
'11: Demarco Murray

I'm ok with giving up a 3rd if that's what it takes to secure Barron or Cox.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score

I'll go ahead call the mental institution, just let me know what size straight jacket you wear.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score

It's a distinct possibility. I'd brace myself if I were you.

There are two realistic options (Cox, Barron) and one pipe dream (Claiborne). If we trade up for any pick between 8-12 and Cox is gone, we WILL pick Barron.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I prefer DeCastro. That's no secret. But I'm going to be shocked if we don't move up to grab Barron.