Take this for what it's worth...

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;4525803 said:
I had the same thought, Neon. Sounds crazy with Murray doing so well, but I go back to what Broaddus was saying weeks ago, that Garrett was totally in love with Ingram and Richardson is even better. I remember seeing a shot of our draft board last year and Ingram was way, way, up there.

Still... That would be stupid IMO. Backs aren't worth that much anymore. And RJ doesn't like to run the ball anyway.

They were in love with Wilkerson last year too and Fletcher Cox is better than him.

I think Fletcher is the guy they are targeting in a trade up.

I think they would gut their draft for a pass rusher but not a RB or Safety.

SMCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysLaw87;4526033 said:
I agree the old chart overvalued 1st rounders. However, with the rookie wage scale, the higher picks should be even more valuable. Interestingly, the wage scale might actually have moved the current Trade Value Chart closer to accurate/fair than it was before.

Where there will likely be a huge change in the trade value of picks, is with the picks in the 7, 8, and 9 area. Because the difference in cost to lock up your player for the 5th year between if he was choose at #9, or #11, could be $3 or $4 million dollars....

The rookie wage scale did probably make the top picks even more valuable, but it also made the top few picks after #10 very valuable as well, because it can be $3 or $4 million dollars cheaper to lock up your player for a 5th year.

visionary

Reaction score
if the cowboys truly mortgage the farm (1/2/3 this year or firstr next year) to trade up for claiborne or cox then they are truly idiots of the highest order

dont get cute in rd 1, there will be very very good options at 14

jerry cant help himself

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
visionary;4526152 said:
if the cowboys truly mortgage the farm (1/2/3 this year or firstr next year) to trade up for claiborne or cox then they are truly idiots of the highest order

jerry cant help himself
They won't pay those prices. I highly doubt it is for Claiborne, and they aren't idiots of the highest order.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
theogt;4525733 said:
That would be very intriguing. I'd be for it.

If Claiborne somehow falls (NFL Network's mock draft with Mike Irvin and the guys had Claiborne falling to Arizona at #13) and we are able to move up for him I would have an accident in my pants, from both ends.

visionary

Reaction score
Hostile;4526154 said:
They won't pay those prices. I highly doubt it is for Claiborne, and they aren't idiots of the highest order.

from your lips to gods ears
let it be so

i am just talking about all the 'inside info' indicating that is what they are looking to do

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
visionary;4526152 said:

jerry cant help himself

If there is a guy that you just have to have than im all for trading up to get your guy.

Would you trade up for guys like JPP if you know what you know now?

If you think Fletcher Cox is the next JPP than you go up and get him.

If you think Mark Barron is a team leader / field general for the next 10 years than you go up and get him.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Well, they Jerry siad pretty clearly yesterday that if the value was right that a trade up (or down) was possible.

The obvious (but less likely) trade-up scenario is if one of the elite 5 (some say 6 ) players drops into striking range. If someone happens to move into the top 6 to reach for Tannehill, for example, and then 1-2 other players are taken that aren't graded as highly by Dallas, then all of a sudden they have a shot at someone they thought there was no shot at. Claiborne or even Richardson, for example.

The other would be a small trade up just to get someone that they feel is a tier above what they could get at 14. It would have to be someone that they like much more or it's not worth it. We don't know, but maybe Cox, for example.

You never know how different teams value these guys.

SMCowboy

Reaction score
I don't think that Claiborne falling to #7 is completely unrealistic.

While I certainly do not understand it, I have heard a few different times on NFL.com that there are some teams that have Gilmore ranked higher than Claiborne.

And given that Claiborne has pretty much been a man to man CB his whole career, I could conceivably see how a team that mostly plays zone coverage could like Gilmore more than Claiborne.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
SMCowboy;4526167 said:

While I certainly do not understand it, I have heard a few different times on NFL.com that there are some teams that have Gilmore ranked higher than Claiborne.

And given that Claiborne has pretty much been a man to man CB his whole career, I could conceivably see how a team that mostly plays zone coverage could like Gilmore more than Claiborne.

I can see why teams would like Gilmore but not better than Claiborne.

Claiborne is just a matchup nightmare for any type of receiver because of his height, size, and long arms.

If you had Carr & Claiborne than you could man up on any team in the league with your starting corners and that is key against elite corners.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
SMCowboy;4526167 said:

The cost of moving up for Claiborne bothers me more than anything else, its not like we are talking about the athleticism of a Patrick Peterson here.

He won't fall, and there is no reason for us to move up for him.

JackWagon

Reaction score
Beast_from_East;4525931 said:
Agreed, I think I have changed my mind as well...........Claiborne and Richardson are top 5 locks, so its pretty obvious the target is going to be Cox.

Is Cox worth giving up our first three picks if that is the price tag???

Yea ... i give up our first 3 picks to gaurantee someone can rush the passer besides Ware. We can find other prospects and UDFAs to fill the other holes.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Deep_Freeze;4526181 said:
The cost of moving up for Claiborne bothers me more than anything else, its not like we are talking about the athleticism of a Patrick Peterson here.

He won't fall, and there is no reason for us to move up for him.

Maybe not the athleticism of Peterson, I don't think there has ever been a corner with Petersons overall athleticism, but Claiborne is a better corner coming out of school.

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
casmith07;4526156 said:
If Claiborne somehow falls (NFL Network's mock draft with Mike Irvin and the guys had Claiborne falling to Arizona at #13) and we are able to move up for him I would have an accident in my pants, from both ends.

803822281625309171035669.gif

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
CATCH17;4526135 said:
They were in love with Wilkerson last year too and Fletcher Cox is better than him.

I think Fletcher is the guy they are targeting in a trade up.

I think they would gut their draft for a pass rusher but not a RB or Safety.

Right, but they are on two different levels... If I'm reading that old board right, we had Ingram in the top ten, while those DEs were at the bottom of the first round.

Which looks like a terrible evaluation of Ingram to me. Thank Gawd we didn't trade back up for him.

But if we had Richardson above him, we could have him as high as a top-5 type guy, so if he fell a little you could see where they might think there is value there.

Personally, I seriously doubt we trade up, so this is just all idle talk anyway.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
For what is worth, Jerry has moved our 1st pick in 75% of his 23 drafts. With that said I'd put my money on a trade down and DeCastro at this point! Just guessing.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
CATCH17;4526185 said:
Maybe not the athleticism of Peterson, I don't think there has ever been a corner with Petersons overall athleticism, but Claiborne is a better corner coming out of school.

I can't say that at all, I would've much rather move up to take PP last year if possible but I can't say the same for Claiborne.

Morris is good, but just not special enough to move up that far and cost us that many picks when we have so many holes. Now if we are talking about a small move up to like 10-11 to get our guy, fine, but for Morris we would be looking at moving up alot higher than that to get him.

I just don't see it being worth it for our team.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;4526189 said:
Right, but they are on two different levels... If I'm reading that old board right, we had Ingram in the top ten, while those DEs were at the bottom of the first round.

Which looks like a terrible evaluation of Ingram to me.

I bet they have Richardson as the #1 overall player in the draft.

Ingram played just like Emmitt in College & Richardson has his exact same background.

Gaede

Reaction score
CATCH17;4526203 said:
I bet they have Richardson as the #1 overall player in the draft.

Ingram played just like Emmitt in College & Richardson has his exact same background.

Wouldn't surprise me. I'm in the minority, but I'd love to get Richardson. He's special. I'd hate to lose a lot of picks, but Richardson is something else

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Gaede;4526209 said:
Wouldn't surprise me. I'm in the minority, but I'd love to get Richardson. He's special. I'd hate to lose a lot of picks, but Richardson is something else

I'd love to have Richardson too but I just don't see the value in a runningback.

I wouldn't give up all that for whomever is the best RB in the league right now.

QB's, Receivers, OT's, DB's, and Pass Rushers are the only guys im willing to give up a lot for.