Takk > Taco or Taco > Takk

CowboyMike

Stay Thirsty, My Friends
Reaction score
According to Nick Eatman:
1. Cowboys really wanted Takk
2. Rumors were Falcons wanted to hop Dallas for a passrusher, which happened
3. Cowboys were probably aware but allowed it to happen. They settled for Taco because they did not want to give up the 3rd round pick that Atlanta gave up.

So we gave up the more explosive RDE because he had to draft more DBs.
This was because they were under pressure to draft a bunch of DBs because they were too cheap to resign at least Carr.
So for a couple Mil AAV, we had to settle for an inferior RDE candidate, even though we have cap space to spare.
More of the same bean counter at work...
Lets hope it is Spicy Taco and not Soft Taco...

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2017...s-cowboys-related-draft-buzz-into-perspective
We know the story by now for the Dallas Cowboys, they really wanted to take Takkarist McKinley. We know that to be a fact as reported by Nick Eatman, Takk was the pick at 28. However, often times, the draft throws a few curveballs. The day of the draft, rumors were swirling that the Atlanta Falcons wanted to trade up and hop Dallas for a pass rusher. They did just that by trading with Seahawks and snatching McKinley right at 26th overall.

If we drafted Takk then chances are that you and/or half of the other posters here would be in an uproar over him dropping the F bomb on live national television.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Yes db's can be drafted every year, but not good ones. THIS year is the year every team said they could get cream of crop db's though. This year no one really wanted any of the QB's coming out, Rheyre already salivating over NEXT years class of QB's. Dallas got what they wanted and who they wanted in the first 3 rounds, you're just not happy it wasn't Takk, I'd rather have the players they got than one we think may be better considering what magazine you read or person you talked to. Half said Taco the other half said Takk, what I do know is they're happy with Taco and ecstatic they got the first three.

yes it was a good year for DBs. so you can get 2nd round DBs in the 3rd round, 3rd round DBs in the 4th round.
you buy 1-2 years and there is plenty of draft picks to get a couple without force feeding done this year.

waldoputty

Reaction score
The team isn't going to sit and tell a bunch of media guys that Carr, Church, Wilcox and Mo sucked. They're going to do the classy thing and say that they looked at dollars vs. a deep secondary draft and decided to let guys they liked go to other teams.

It would have been classless to say Carr can't run or catch very well, Claiborne gets hurt every time there is a stiff breeze, Church is a JAG, and Wilcox just isn't very good.

They're not going to do that. My goodness. You have written this same thread in one form or another 100 times.

Carr would have been the logical one to keep.
This time it was said that the team wanted one and got leapfrogged.
I did not create that.

waldoputty

Reaction score
If we drafted Takk then chances are that you and/or half of the other posters here would be in an uproar over him dropping the F bomb on live national television.

he can fbomb TV, radio, newspaper, for all i care if he can pressure the QB.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Those press conferences took place but I am talking about an interview specifically addresssing the loss of all the db's they let go. SJ put it out there, they would have been happy to have any of those guys back but perfectly willing to say adieu if they got a better deal somewhere else. Look what they signed as FA's in their places, they feel the talent they signed Is just as good and cheaper, plus with as many interceptions as they've produced (not many), the injuries, age plus the fact they are really not that good the upside in this draft with cornerbacks and safeties is better. Get cheaper stop gaps sprinkled in with some young hungry talent and build. That defense wasn't getting better with those guys, sorry.

right - for the right price.
with the rookie, they could be better, same or worse, but definitely cheaper.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Direct quote from article:
"We know the story by now for the Dallas Cowboys, they really wanted to take Takkarist McKinley. We know that to be a fact as reported by Nick Eatman, Takk was the pick at 28. However, often times, the draft throws a few curveballs. The day of the draft, rumors were swirling that the Atlanta Falcons wanted to trade up and hop Dallas for a pass rusher. They did just that by trading with Seahawks and snatching McKinley right at 26th overall."
That is BTB's quoting Nick Eatman who watched the Cowboys but couldn't hear anything they said.

Does that not seem ludicrous to you? Do you actually put much stock into that as a known fact?

God, I hope not for your sake.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
So glad Atl jumped them and took that lunatic. There is no way I want to cheer for someone who acts like that on national tv in their moment of glory. It's not like he didn't know he was going to be drafted for a couple of years now. To act like he did tells me he is dumb and likely to make huge mistakes as time goes on.
Oh, please.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
if you use a 1st round pick to get a B-level player, then you just lost the chance to combine that pick with other assets to get an A-level player.
We were going to get a B level player at 28 regardless. I didn't want Takk at 28 much less moving up for him. To get a non-B level DE Dallas would have had to moved in front of Philly to get Barnett. But then you would have just complained that he is too slow and isn't a "War Daddy".

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
The Cowboys really wanted Myles Garrett but those pesky Browns had to take him #1.

Seriously, if the Cowboys had a choice between Takk and Taco at 28, it would not have surprised me if they had taken Takk. He's a little more of the prototype RDE whereas Taco is more of a combo RDE/LDE. But obviously they didn't feel the difference was great enough to give up a 3rd round pick, especially since the player they ended up taking in the 3rd had a 2nd round grade on their board.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
What's funny is that fans like Waldo would have raved about Barnett if he had been drafted by the Cowboys because the media told those fans he was great. They would never have mentioned that his measurable(s) were sub-par to Taco's. Taco was better in all measurable(s) except the 3-cone (7.12 vs 7.17) as compared to Barnett.
Which just goes to show that 3 cone time is more important to pass rushers than 40 time.

waldoputty

Reaction score
That is BTB's quoting Nick Eatman who watched the Cowboys but couldn't hear anything they said.

Does that not seem ludicrous to you? Do you actually put much stock into that as a known fact?

God, I hope not for your sake.

hard to believe someone would make such a claim without good evidence.
i only have the quote and dont have any other facts.
but will look into later.

waldoputty

Reaction score
We were going to get a B level player at 28 regardless. I didn't want Takk at 28 much less moving up for him. To get a non-B level DE Dallas would have had to moved in front of Philly to get Barnett. But then you would have just complained that he is too slow and isn't a "War Daddy".

again i am just going by what an article said the cowboys preferred.
not what i preferred, not what you preferred.
acutally some poster said taco was 2nd round player ranked as #19.
they had 18 players ranked as 1st round.
if they preferred takk over taco, that would make him a 1st round player in their mind.

Last edited:

waldoputty

Reaction score
The Cowboys really wanted Myles Garrett but those pesky Browns had to take him #1.

Seriously, if the Cowboys had a choice between Takk and Taco at 28, it would not have surprised me if they had taken Takk. He's a little more of the prototype RDE whereas Taco is more of a combo RDE/LDE. But obviously they didn't feel the difference was great enough to give up a 3rd round pick, especially since the player they ended up taking in the 3rd had a 2nd round grade on their board.

they put themselves into a hole with the DBs.
it became a numbers game, obviously.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Carr would have been the logical one to keep.
This time it was said that the team wanted one and got leapfrogged.
I did not create that.
According to some fan on BTB it was said. We still haven't even read or heard Eatman saying it, much less anyone from the team.

Until you prove that the team actually wanted Takk over Taco, all this other dialog, all this BS is irrelevant. It only matters if we know the team wanted Takk over Taco. We don't. We know some nobody on BTB wrote he heard Eatman but that. is. it.

This is nuts.

waldoputty

Reaction score
So Takk is Haley now because he acts crazy?

How about making a thread like this after Takk has a multiple double digit sack seasons and Taco struggles to get 8 sacks a season?

no just responding to someone who had a problem with takk because of his outburst.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
again i am just going by what an article said the cowboys preferred.
not what i preferred, not what you preferred.
An article from a fan that likely knows less than half the people on this forum... with nobody knowing really who Dallas preferred.

You state it as fact. It isn't even close.

waldoputty

Reaction score
According to some fan on BTB it was said. We still haven't even read or heard Eatman saying it, much less anyone from the team.

Until you prove that the team actually wanted Takk over Taco, all this other dialog, all this BS is irrelevant. It only matters if we know the team wanted Takk over Taco. We don't. We know some nobody on BTB wrote he heard Eatman but that. is. it.

This is nuts.

if you read this entire thread, someone said it was on a podcast.
one would have to reread this thread to find the reference.
now that i am curious, i will listen to the friday podcasts on the flagship.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
Always valued Taco over Takk......... higher floor off the bat, ceiling as well, head cases beware and not to mention injury. ... but INJURY!