Takk > Taco or Taco > Takk

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
1. Takk and Tapper aren't similar players.
2. They weren't desperate for DBs. They could have started the season with Carroll/Scandrick/Brown and had similar production from last year. They wanted to take advantage of a rare opportunity w this deep DB class to potentially get multiple upgrades. Which they did.
3. Takk is not much of a Daddy prospect. I dont think Taco is either. I actually wanted Takk over Taco so I don't see it as a stretch that the Cowboys did too. That doesn't mean Takk is the next coming of Haley - he's not. You don't find Daddy pass rushers in the lower third of the first round. Both players are upgrades to what we have on the roster.
4. You are much more likely to find incremental improvement in multiple ways than to get that Daddy player out of one pick. We were a few incremental improvements away from a championship last season.

waldoputty

Reaction score
1. Takk and Tapper aren't similar players.
2. They weren't desperate for DBs. They could have started the season with Carroll/Scandrick/Brown and had similar production from last year. They wanted to take advantage of a rare opportunity w this deep DB class to potentially get multiple upgrades. Which they did.
3. Takk is not much of a Daddy prospect. I dont think Taco is either. I actually wanted Takk over Taco so I don't see it as a stretch that the Cowboys did too. That doesn't mean Takk is the next coming of Haley - he's not. You don't find Daddy pass rushers in the lower third of the first round. Both players are upgrades to what we have on the roster.
4. You are much more likely to find incremental improvement in multiple ways than to get that Daddy player out of one pick. We were a few incremental improvements away from a championship last season.

takk and tapper both seem like fast players with limited bend?
seem like desperately trying to appease the fans to me - reporting that there are plenty of CBs and S before the 2nd and 4th rounds, thereby telegraphing it blatantly to other teams
neither may be daddies, but it seems lower risk to get pressure with a player with speed and less bend than the other way around
we were 1 player (gregory) and 1 coach away from championship last season...

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
seem like desperately trying to appease the fans to me - reporting that there are plenty of CBs and S before the 2nd and 4th rounds, thereby telegraphing it blatantly to other teams
neither may be daddies, but it seems lower risk to get pressure with a player with speed and less bend than the other way around

If improving the secondary is appeasing the fans then yes. It's also a chance for that incremental improvement. It's good team building regardless of whether the fans like it. Also, the Joneses weren't telling any of the other teams what wasn't already common knowledge.

Tapper is 20 lbs heavier and the only part of their games that is similar is a good motor.

I think you're reaching for an argument to knock the front office with this one. And finding one piece of info and attaching a few unproven assumptions so it can fit your preconceived narrative.

waldoputty

Reaction score
If improving the secondary is appeasing the fans then yes. It's also a chance for that incremental improvement. It's good team building regardless of whether the fans like it. Also, the Joneses weren't telling any of the other teams what wasn't already common knowledge.

Tapper is 20 lbs heavier and the only part of their games that is similar is a good motor.

I think you're reaching for an argument to knock the front office with this one. And finding one piece of info and attaching a few unproven assumptions so it can fit your preconceived narrative.

an improved passrush would like have won the superbowl last year.
the piece of info is settling for an inferior (in their estimate) player for the passrushing need that is extremely difficult to draft.

more like purposefully decimating a secondary thereby freaking out the fans. then having to replenish the roster.
seems more like a cluster ****.
they only had to keep carr and the level of desperation would be much less severe.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
more like purposefully decimating a secondary thereby freaking out the fans. then having to replenish the roster.
they only had to keep carr and the level of desperation would be much less severe.

Nobody was desperate. The team had Jones, Heath, Frazier, Blanton, Brown, Scandrick and Carroll. They could have drafted Awuzie and Woods and that along with the leftovers would have given them 9 DB's... about what they always carry. And that is not to mention that they could have gone secondary in the 4th if they had wanted or even traded next year's picks for a 5th this year and gone DB.

In any event, that would have left the 3rd rounder to use in your trade that you keep harping on. They could have done that, they just didn't want to and they didn't give a **** what the fans thought about it either. They just didn't want to do it, if it even came up at all.

Maybe they liked Taco better than Tak. Maybe they saw them as even. Who knows? Not you nor any of us here. What we do know is that they could have damn well done it and still fortified the secondary just fine. Keeping Carr wouldn't have done a damn thing except give us a CB that we know isn't that good but still cost a lot of money.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Nobody was desperate. The team had Jones, Heath, Frazier, Blanton, Brown, Scandrick and Carroll. They could have drafted Awuzie and Woods and that along with the leftovers would have given them 9 DB's... about what they always carry. And that is not to mention that they could have gone secondary in the 4th if they had wanted or even traded next year's picks for a 5th this year and gone DB.

In any event, that would have left the 3rd rounder to use in your trade that you keep harping on. They could have done that, they just didn't want to and they didn't give a **** what the fans thought about it either. They just didn't want to do it, if it even came up at all.

Maybe they liked Taco better than Tak. Maybe they saw them as even. Who knows? Not you nor any of us here. What we do know is that they could have damn well done it and still fortified the secondary just fine. Keeping Carr wouldn't have done a damn thing except give us a CB that we know isn't that good but still cost a lot of money.

they did not want to do it.
they could have done a lot of things, but they did not.
instead other teams jump in front of our picks and they took it like a champ.
yes, they are worried about 'value'.
bet they look at the value chart like a good little bean counter.

with the way they were reporting about the availability of DBs, they sure sound like they cared about freaked out fans.

if they kept Carr or sign some decent FA, they would not need to be throwing large numbers at the DBs.
anyways, i emailed the author of the article to find out where the info came from.
then we should all know.

Last edited:

reddyuta

Reaction score
Takk is a stiff pass rusher,his 3-cone is 7.48.I dont know any pass rusher in the NFL who has succeeded with that kind of 3-cone numbers.

Dundalis

Reaction score
Man, this Waldo guy is funny. Few highlights:
What gives you the absolute credibility to declare "trading up is almost always a mistake"?
This question directed at someone else after almost every post he makes treating unsubstantiated rumors as facts.
i dont care what the media said.
i am simply going by what was said about the cowboys' preference.
if we did not take the preferred guy, that is settling.
Says he doesn't care what the media says. Says the very next sentence he does care what the media says.
hard to believe someone would make such a claim without good evidence.
i only have the quote and dont have any other facts.
but will look into later.
lol, they can attack all they want but i am used to fighting with lawyers...
they cannot attack the logic of the argument so they attack the source of article.
Hahahahaha.

This has to be a wind up. Should do stand up comedy.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
they did not want to do it.
they could have done a lot of things, but they did not.
instead other teams jump in front of our picks and they took it like a champ.
yes, they are worried about 'value'.
beat they look at the value chart like a good little bean counter.

with the way they were reporting about the availability of DBs, they sure sound like they cared about freaked out fans.

if they kept Carr or sign some decent FA, they would not need to be throwing large numbers at the DBs.
anyways, i emailed the author of the article to find out where the info came from.
then we should all know.
That's what I said. They didn't want to.

They didn't want to do it because Tak wasn't worth it.

I just explained to you that Carr or not, they could have made the trade and still fixed the secondary with no problem. Yet you not only don't acknowledge it, you continue to say the same thing as if I never even wrote it.

As for the "getting jumped" that you keep harping on, it happens to everyone. When Jimmy Johnson jumped Atlanta to draft Emmitt Smith, I knew exactly what they were doing and who they were taking before the pick because I knew that Atlanta needed a RB. Did I listen to their owner or GM/Coaches? Nope. I looked at my draft guide and it said Atlanta's biggest need was RB. Everyone knew, just like everyone knew Dallas was looking for edge rushers and DB's.

Houston worked out QB's and had a need there, so KC jumped in front of them and drafted Mahomes. I don't see anyone freaking out about Houston telegraphing their intentions by saying they need a QB and working them out.

Give me 30 min and I could tell you all 32 team's biggest 3 needs. It isn't a national secret that Dallas needed DB's and edge rushers.

Chicago went up one spot to draft their QB because SF said they were talking to another team and they were afraid they'd lose their QB. They didn't have any info about who was talking to SF... they just wanted the player and so made a stupid trade. Because in the NFL trades happen... but only when a team wants that player badly.

Dallas didn't want Tak badly.

You are manufacturing all of this illogical BS just to fit the notion that Dallas should have spent more in free agency. The same subject that you've been making thread after thread about since the beginning of March. Not only is it illogical and ill advised, it has much of CZ railing against your posts.

You've ignored many terrific points that have been made in this thread by posters and act like they were never even said. Then you just post the same thing.

Rage on dude. I'm done with this.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Man, this Waldo guy is funny. Few highlights:

This question directed at someone else after almost every post he makes treating unsubstantiated rumors as facts.

Says he doesn't care what the media says. Says the very next sentence he does care what the media says.

Hahahahaha.

This has to be a wind up. Should do stand up comedy.

go ahead and take things out of context.
have fun

Zman5

Reaction score
takk is like tapper but without the back problem.
his tape always seem more explosive to me.
tapper is supposed to be really fast but does not look that fast from what i have seen...

Nick Eatman mentioned when Gregory, Tapper and Jaylon Smith were rehabbing/training together last year they'd run the 40 and race. Tapper would win all the time by a big margin. It's safe to say, we don't have to worry about Tapper's speed.

waldoputty

Reaction score
That's what I said. They didn't want to.

They didn't want to do it because Tak wasn't worth it.

I just explained to you that Carr or not, they could have made the trade and still fixed the secondary with no problem. Yet you not only don't acknowledge it, you continue to say the same thing as if I never even wrote it.

As for the "getting jumped" that you keep harping on, it happens to everyone. When Jimmy Johnson jumped Atlanta to draft Emmitt Smith, I knew exactly what they were doing and who they were taking before the pick because I knew that Atlanta needed a RB. Did I listen to their owner or GM/Coaches? Nope. I looked at my draft guide and it said Atlanta's biggest need was RB. Everyone knew, just like everyone knew Dallas was looking for edge rushers and DB's.

Houston worked out QB's and had a need there, so KC jumped in front of them and drafted Mahomes. I don't see anyone freaking out about Houston telegraphing their intentions by saying they need a QB and working them out.

Give me 30 min and I could tell you all 32 team's biggest 3 needs. It isn't a national secret that Dallas needed DB's and edge rushers.

Chicago went up one spot to draft their QB because SF said they were talking to another team and they were afraid they'd lose their QB. They didn't have any info about who was talking to SF... they just wanted the player and so made a stupid trade. Because in the NFL trades happen... but only when a team wants that player badly.

Dallas didn't want Tak badly.

You are manufacturing all of this illogical BS just to fit the notion that Dallas should have spent more in free agency. The same subject that you've been making thread after thread about since the beginning of March. Not only is it illogical and ill advised, it has much of CZ railing against your posts.

You've ignored many terrific points that have been made in this thread by posters and act like they were never even said. Then you just post the same thing.

Rage on dude. I'm done with this.

If they kept Carr or signed a worthy DB, it would be 1 less CB slot to fill. You assume you draft one player to get one starter. 2nd round picks dont make it 100% of the time. In fact, 46% of 2nd round picks become multiyear starters.

yes Jimmy jumped in front of Atlanta to get Emmitt. Jimmy was proactive and big picture oriented. When the stakes are high, the current regime does not jump over others and let others jump over them. They are too busy worrying about the value chart when the stakes are high (not 6th round picks) so they can save a million dollar here and there - when tons of cap space is available.

you can say chicago made a stupid trade, but if they get their QB then it is a brilliant trade. it is called the big picture and not working by actuarial tables.

i did not manufacture the Takk > Taco issue. i referenced it. others can attack it because what is says is not convenient. i did contact the author to figure out where he got it from.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Nick Eatman mentioned when Gregory, Tapper and Jaylon Smith were rehabbing/training together last year they'd run the 40 and race. Tapper would win all the time by a big margin. It's safe to say, we don't have to worry about Tapper's speed.

we do have to worry about tapper's back.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

Considering they got not one but two quality corners since they "telegraphed" their intent, you would think that ship has sailed.

Given their relative sizes and how Taco did better in the shuttle and 10 yard sprint while significantly better in the 3 cone, Taco's ability to change direction ie bend the corner has a better potential.

His speed rush will be similar in velocity and ability to keep his frame free to McKinley, but Taco's rush will have much more momentum associated with it given the 11% increase in weight. Power and speed to power moves will be easier for Taco. You can try to ignore the shuttle, cone, and 10 yard scores but they are there just the same.

McKinley has going for him long speed and two years of production as opposed to Taco's one. The latter is the biggest concern with Taco but the former is inconsequential considering the average 7 step drop is only 9 yards.

Frankly, if Marinelli can motivate him to buy into the program and play to his potential Taco is going to be an absolute beast. A 280 lbs man should not have the feet to spin like he does. It's the type of thing you see from scat backs.

His balance is outstanding. He needs to work on his hand technique and footwork. There are few better tutors for that than Rod Marinelli.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
an improved passrush would like have won the superbowl last year.
the piece of info is settling for an inferior (in their estimate) player for the passrushing need that is extremely difficult to draft.

Your whole premise is to overspend.

Overspend for a mediocre corner so they can overspend on a draft pick with just as many warts as the one they ended up with.

Dallas has been down that route and it is perhaps the biggest reason for the SB drought that is now embarking on its 22nd year.

You think overspend = good ownership and those of us who have been fans for long enough know through experience that isn't the case.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If they kept Carr or signed a worthy DB, it would be 1 less CB slot to fill. You assume you draft one player to get one starter. 2nd round picks dont make it 100% of the time. In fact, 46% of 2nd round picks become multiyear starters.

yes Jimmy jumped in front of Atlanta to get Emmitt. Jimmy was proactive and big picture oriented. When the stakes are high, the current regime does not jump over others and let others jump over them. They are too busy worrying about the value chart when the stakes are high (not 6th round picks) so they can save a million dollar here and there - when tons of cap space is available.

you can say chicago made a stupid trade, but if they get their QB then it is a brilliant trade. it is called the big picture and not working by actuarial tables.

i did not manufacture the Takk > Taco issue. i referenced it. others can attack it because what is says is not convenient. i did contact the author to figure out where he got it from.
Referencing a fan (blogger) is meaningless, as in worthless, no meaning, value is zero.

Clarkson

Wonderboyromo
Reaction score
I was in SF last week, and actually heard the radio hosts go on about Takk.
Apparently both his parents abandoned him and the grandmother raised him.
Furthermore, he basically promised on grandma's death bed that he would get into the NFL...

Gotta love a guy on here judging someone else like that.