Takk > Taco or Taco > Takk

Boom

Just Dez It
Reaction score
Sissemore was nice enough to respond: He said so on Talking Cowboys Break on Friday. He was adamant and said it's a fact that Takk was the guy until Atlanta traded up. The war room cam shows Stephen, Jerry, and McClay look bummed when Takk's name was called. It's a fact, they wanted Takk but are happy with Taco.

I'm confused... is he saying the video is the evidence or is it an additional comment? Because video reaction doesn't make it fact by any means.

I watched the war room during the pick and didn't see anything odd. I do recall that they said the cam went to the wall prior to the Sea pick, so they were probably called to see if they were interested in getting involved in the trade bartering. I suppose regardless of all the speculation, in Dallas' mind Takk wasn't worth more than Taco + 3rd rounder.

the_h0wey

Reaction score
According to Nick Eatman:
1. Cowboys really wanted Takk
2. Rumors were Falcons wanted to hop Dallas for a passrusher, which happened
3. Cowboys were probably aware but allowed it to happen. They settled for Taco because they did not want to give up the 3rd round pick that Atlanta gave up.

So we gave up the more explosive RDE because he had to draft more DBs.
This was because they were under pressure to draft a bunch of DBs because they were too cheap to resign at least Carr.
So for a couple Mil AAV, we had to settle for an inferior RDE candidate, even though we have cap space to spare.
More of the same bean counter at work...
Lets hope it is Spicy Taco and not Soft Taco...

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2017...s-cowboys-related-draft-buzz-into-perspective
We know the story by now for the Dallas Cowboys, they really wanted to take Takkarist McKinley. We know that to be a fact as reported by Nick Eatman, Takk was the pick at 28. However, often times, the draft throws a few curveballs. The day of the draft, rumors were swirling that the Atlanta Falcons wanted to trade up and hop Dallas for a pass rusher. They did just that by trading with Seahawks and snatching McKinley right at 26th overall.

I wanted Takk until Atlanta picked him and he made an idiot out of himself. Can you imagine how big of a story that would have been if we had taken him? He dropped a F Bomb and a GD. What an idiot

waldoputty

Reaction score
The number 1 offseason issue was to get better on defense. That involved not overpaying for our own talent or paying good players great money.

Your solution is to throw money after the problem and then diminish our draft capital in costly trade ups?

Because that's a strategy that has a proven track record of success? Joke.

my strategy is to get a star player in the D where it counts - on the DL.
the team is close and you can only have 53 players.
the number 1 issue was the passrush until the DB issue hijacked the issue.
how quickly we forget what happened in the GB game.
all the little DBs can cover all they want if Rodgers could throw from his lawnchair.
the big picture is winning, not some stupid accounting exercise.

waldoputty

Reaction score
I'm confused... is he saying the video is the evidence or is it an additional comment? Because video reaction doesn't make it fact by any means.

I watched the war room during the pick and didn't see anything odd. I do recall that they said the cam went to the wall prior to the Sea pick, so they were probably called to see if they were interested in getting involved in the trade bartering. I suppose regardless of all the speculation, in Dallas' mind Takk wasn't worth more than Taco + 3rd rounder.

i dont know. i will take the time to listen/watch to all the stuff.
phillycowboyfan is insistent on this also so the whole thing is kind of strange.
i cannot believe that a well-known blogger at BTB would just make this up.
my point is the 3rd round pick matter more because of the mess in the backfield needed numbers to address.
so this would be a clear case that our FA strategy backfiring at the draft.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
before 2015, i would agree with you.
in fact, there would not even be an argument.
the cap has simply changed and strategies need to be adjusted to reflect the huge increase.
what you call overspend is appropriate spending to me.
by deleveraging from the cap in 2017, we have essentially squeezed $20 million or so from 2017.
deleveraging is a fine strategy, but you do that in a down year, not after 13-3.
I'm not arguing the cap because I don't think it's relevant in these specific circumstances. You have two players (Carroll and Carr) who are close in talent and close in quality of film. You don't pay one $3 million more just because you can. If Carr averaged 4 picks a year and had even one Pro Bowl nod I'd buy your argument.

The same can be said for Takk and Taco. They are close enough that you have varying grades from many sources. Some like Takk, some like Taco. Even if Dallas preferred Takk it's not a stretch to think the grades were close. You don't give away a pick in a super deep draft when the differences in grade were likely minor. When you consider that the third round pick turned into a likely starting level CB and it makes the FO look smart for not pulling the trigger.

As for saying DL is where it counts, every position counts. You're ignoring the fact that nobody thought so highly of Takk to pick him before No. 26. If he were the surefire stud you keep playing him up to be, he would have been long gone by then.

waldoputty

Reaction score
I wanted Takk until Atlanta picked him and he made an idiot out of himself. Can you imagine how big of a story that would have been if we had taken him? He dropped a F Bomb and a GD. What an idiot

no one wanted to watch a tirade.
but it also connotes strong emotions to succeed with is a positive.
i dont think any of us went through the young man's troubles, so i would not try to judge him too much.

the_h0wey

Reaction score
no one wanted to watch a tirade.
but it also connotes strong emotions to succeed with is a positive.
i dont think any of us went through the young man's troubles, so i would not try to judge him too much.
I think you do more to set yourself up for failure when you act like that. I think he should have shown a little restraint. Especially knowing you are on national TV representing your new employer and your family. I did enjoy his uncles hat though.

waldoputty

Reaction score
I'm not arguing the cap because I don't think it's relevant in these specific circumstances. You have two players (Carroll and Carr) who are close in talent and close in quality of film. You don't pay one $3 million more just because you can. If Carr averaged 4 picks a year and had even one Pro Bowl nod I'd buy your argument.

The same can be said for Takk and Taco. They are close enough that you have varying grades from many sources. Some like Takk, some like Taco. Even if Dallas preferred Takk it's not a stretch to think the grades were close. You don't give away a pick in a super deep draft when the differences in grade were likely minor. When you consider that the third round pick turned into a likely starting level CB and it makes the FO look smart for not pulling the trigger.

As for saying DL is where it counts, every position counts. You're ignoring the fact that nobody thought so highly of Takk to pick him before No. 26. If he were the surefire stud you keep playing him up to be, he would have been long gone by then.

i dont mean Carr or Carroll, i meant both.
or some other CB that cost more but meant we definitely have a starter for 4 years.
this is a self-inflicted wound on the DB side because someone just wants to say they are cap-savvy when there are tens of millions available.

we need a defensive line star and the team is ready to contend.
that last piece is hard to get, as it appears no one is as silly as SF was when they traded haley to us.
talking about stupid.

the big picture is getting that last piece.
everything else can be easily acquired.
the self-inflicted DB debacle because of a couple M detracted from that.
so the FO skillfully maneuvered to fix the DB problem by drafting 4 of them.
that sounds like desperation to me.

we could have traded up for the DE.
we could have drafted 3 RDEs like the way we dealt with the DB problem.
let's say Taco/Takk, Willis, Basham - how does that sound?

let say Takk becomes a star and Taco is so-so, we are all going to feel sick from it.
now if Taco becomes a star, then i would be more than happy to accept as many crow servings as you want to dish out.

waldoputty

Reaction score
I think you do more to set yourself up for failure when you act like that. I think he should have shown a little restraint. Especially knowing you are on national TV representing your new employer and your family. I did enjoy his uncles hat though.

may be.
but like i said, most of us do not know what the young man went through.
i cannot imagine what it is like to be abandoned by both parents.

Boom

Just Dez It
Reaction score
so this would be a clear case that our FA strategy backfiring at the draft.

Dallas has seemed pretty organized in their FA activity in preparation for the draft that follows. You are stating that they broke from this and left themselves in a position where they were inflexible to trade up.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Dallas has seemed pretty organized in their FA activity in preparation for the draft that follows. You are stating that they broke from this and left themselves in a position where they were inflexible to trade up.

i agree that Dallas is well organized, and they definitely did not broke from their strategy.
i am saying their well organized approach resulted in a DB mess that had fans freaked out.
my guess is they gave their own FAs certain salaries that they would go to, and not a dollar above it.

i am not the only one that complained about the loss of all the FA DBs.
their well-organized debacle shifted the focus of the draft to replacing the DBs.
think back after the GB game, how many of us were complaining about the DBs or how many of us were complaining about the DL?

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
i dont mean Carr or Carroll, i meant both.
or some other CB that cost more but meant we definitely have a starter for 4 years.
this is a self-inflicted wound on the DB side because someone just wants to say they are cap-savvy when there are tens of millions available.

we need a defensive line star and the team is ready to contend.
that last piece is hard to get, as it appears no one is as silly as SF was when they traded haley to us.
talking about stupid.

the big picture is getting that last piece.
everything else can be easily acquired.
the self-inflicted DB debacle because of a couple M detracted from that.
so the FO skillfully maneuvered to fix the DB problem by drafting 4 of them.
that sounds like desperation to me.

we could have traded up for the DE.
we could have drafted 3 RDEs like the way we dealt with the DB problem.
let's say Taco/Takk, Willis, Basham - how does that sound?

let say Takk becomes a star and Taco is so-so, we are all going to feel sick from it.
now if Taco becomes a star, then i would be more than happy to accept as many crow servings as you want to dish out.
You're under the false assumptions we were one piece away or that anything can be easily acquired. The only easy acquisitions are through the draft. Our self-inflicted wounds at DB were by overpaying Carr and spending too much capital to draft Claiborne in the first place. It would be asinine to repeat those mistakes.

waldoputty

Reaction score
You're under the false assumptions we were one piece away or that anything can be easily acquired. The only easy acquisitions are through the draft. Our self-inflicted wounds at DB were by overpaying Carr and spending too much capital to draft Claiborne in the first place. It would be asinine to repeat those mistakes.

Carr's old contract did not work out under the old salary cap structure.
That structure no longer exists.
With the addition of Jaylon and one major DL piece, I think we are in business.
Thought so 2 months ago.
Still think so now.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
Carr's old contract did not work out under the old salary cap structure.
That structure no longer exists.
With the addition of Jaylon and one major DL piece, I think we are in business.
Thought so 2 months ago.
Still think so now.
I think we're already in business. We should be in the hunt, as we were last year. We now have more talent on defense, and younger talent on defense. Our depth is more talented. And with the nature of injuries in this brutal game it's the the bottom of the roster that separates the contenders from the pretenders.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
my strategy is to get a star player in the D where it counts - on the DL.
the team is close and you can only have 53 players.
the number 1 issue was the passrush until the DB issue hijacked the issue.
how quickly we forget what happened in the GB game.
all the little DBs can cover all they want if Rodgers could throw from his lawnchair.
the big picture is winning, not some stupid accounting exercise.
We used our most valuable asset on DE. We used our next two most valuable assets in the secondary.

Irregardless of how you feel about pass rush we actually were not looking to fill that many positions. We have some young talent we want to develop on the DL.

While it's early, our draft is being universally praised everywhere... except well...from you.. who thinks we sold ourselves short not trading Lewis (who many have called the biggest value selection of the entire draft) for an "upgrade" of Takk vs Taco. All while you ignore that history says its almost always a mistake to trade up.

I honestly don't think you have any clue what you're talking about.

Boom

Just Dez It
Reaction score
i agree that Dallas is well organized, and they definitely did not broke from their strategy.
i am saying their well organized approach resulted in a DB mess that had fans freaked out.
my guess is they gave their own FAs certain salaries that they would go to, and not a dollar above it.

i am not the only one that complained about the loss of all the FA DBs.
their well-organized debacle shifted the focus of the draft to replacing the DBs.
think back after the GB game, how many of us were complaining about the DBs or how many of us were complaining about the DL?

I was concerned as well when Dallas let them all go, but I truly think they decided to start over similar to when they stopped patching the old OL. I'm not a big fan of Taco, but I'm even less a fan of a trade up for Takk.

I find it interesting you are investing in the opinion that Dallas made FA mistakes leading up to the draft and were forced to shoehorn Taco into the team due to their poor DB allocation. Are you outright rejecting the possibility that they just didn't value Takk worthy of a trade up?

waldoputty

Reaction score
I think we're already in business. We should be in the hunt, as we were last year. We now have more talent on defense, and younger talent on defense. Our depth is more talented. And with the nature of injuries in this brutal game it's the the bottom of the roster that separates the contenders from the pretenders.

without a significant improve in the DL, we are in business for making the playoffs but losing because of the D.
that is about the worst thing that can happen - not win but get bad draft picks.

unlike us, atlanta and new england improved significantly via free agency and trades.
depth is great, but you need the stars to win it all.
even before the draft, we already had ~49 real players under contract and i am not counting Moore the DE.
we should focus on getting the star to get over the hump, not the quality of the 52nd or 53rd player on the roster.
all the draft successfully accomplished is to lower the mid-run salaries by getting DBs for cheap.
all the money saved - for what? especially when tens of millions of cap are available.

waldoputty

Reaction score
I was concerned as well when Dallas let them all go, but I truly think they decided to start over similar to when they stopped patching the old OL. I'm not a big fan of Taco, but I'm even less a fan of a trade up for Takk.

I find it interesting you are investing in the opinion that Dallas made FA mistakes leading up to the draft and were forced to shoehorn Taco into the team due to their poor DB allocation. Are you outright rejecting the possibility that they just didn't value Takk worthy of a trade up?

well, if the BTB blogger is correct, then they preferred Takk over Taco.
so in my view, that is the best chance to get a daddy.
i did not say FA mistake - they planned the whole thing.

i dont question the tactics, but i question the strategy.
mcclay executed the strategy really well.
but what orders were he given to adhere to?
the strategy seems to be driven by saving money rather than putting the best team together.
why save $ when tens of millions is available in cap space?

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
without a significant improve in the DL, we are in business for making the playoffs but losing because of the D.
that is about the worst thing that can happen - not win but get bad draft picks.

unlike us, atlanta and new england improved significantly via free agency and trades.
depth is great, but you need the stars to win it all.
even before the draft, we already had ~49 real players under contract and i am not counting Moore the DE.
we should focus on getting the star to get over the hump, not the quality of the 52nd or 53rd player on the roster.
all the draft successfully accomplished is to lower the mid-run salaries by getting DBs for cheap.
all the money saved - for what? especially when tens of millions of cap are available.
When did Atlanta become some great model for us to follow? It took them all these years post Julio gutting of the roster trade deal for them to be relevant. And there is no guarantee that they catch lightning in a bottle again.

You're being completely reactionary.

waldoputty

Reaction score
We used our most valuable asset on DE. We used our next two most valuable assets in the secondary.

Irregardless of how you feel about pass rush we actually were not looking to fill that many positions. We have some young talent we want to develop on the DL.

While it's early, our draft is being universally praised everywhere... except well...from you.. who thinks we sold ourselves short not trading Lewis (who many have called the biggest value selection of the entire draft) for an "upgrade" of Takk vs Taco. All while you ignore that history says its almost always a mistake to trade up.

I honestly don't think you have any clue what you're talking about.

Here are the statistics for drafting in the 1st 3 rounds:
1st Round - OL (83%) LB (70%) TE (67%) DB (64%) QB (63%) WR (58%) RB (58%) DL (58%)
2nd Round - OL (70%) LB (55%) TE (50%) WR (49%) DB (46%) QB (27%) DL (26%) RB (25%)
3rd Round - OL (40%) TE (39%) LB (34%) DL (27%) WR (25%) DB (24%) QB (17%) RB (16%)

Even if you invest a 1st round in the DL, your chance of getting a mutlti-year starter is only 58% - which is hardly certainty.
That is only for a starter, not a star.
If you want to solve a problem, you throw resources at it like we did with the DB situation.
If we threw all 3 rounds at the DL, your chances become 58%+26%+27%
So you most likely get a starter, but still no guarantee of a star.

The DB debacle hijacked the offseason.
If Rodgers or some other QB beats us this year in the playoffs while smoking his victory cigar on a lawnchair in the backfield, we know who to blame.