Takk > Taco or Taco > Takk

waldoputty

Reaction score
Teams like GB and Pittsburgh know that FA is fools gold. That's why they don't throw money around. It's not because they don't have any money. How many years did Dallas do it your way before shifting to this philosophy? 20? Same ownership and same GM. It's called learning from your mistakes.

You love that chart but it's an incomplete part of the story. What are your percentages of success for players given big contracts at each position? Better yet, what is the percentage of players drafted and FA signees on all Super Bowl winners and how do they compare to the league average. If you want to use stats as the basis for your argument, at least use the right stats.

And if your 2nd Round number for DBs is applicable in this instance, since Dallas had 2nd round grades on both Cheeto and Lewis, it's probably best we drafted them both since statistically one won't pan out. Right?

And what are the statistics on injuries for CBs on their second and third contracts? That should factor into this as well since that was the decision Dallas made.

You are drawing cause and effect conclusions from incomplete data.

we should have learned from our mistake in FA by 2000.
but times change and rules change, it is too late to learn that mistake when the system changed.

most of the players on the current team were drafted.
so your argument is not relevant.
it is not as if i am suggesting signing 10 or 20 FAs.

Injuries happen.
You discard the player in that case and eat the dead money.
There is plenty of cap space - the times have changed.

You are starting to get the point.
We had to draft 2 players with 2nd round grades to have a reasonable expectation of getting 1 starter.
You should now understand why letting ALL the DBs go was going overboard, thereby causing the debacle that required drafting 4 DBs.

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
but i find it hard to believe a well known blogger will lie in writing when it is easy to confirm.

Brian Williams who is a million times more famous then your blogger, lied and said he was riding in a helicopter when it came under attack. Did he not think that the other 8 soldiers in that helicopter would not dispute this.

So it might be hard for you to imagine a blogger lying, it's not for me.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Thinking we were a "piece" away is pretty naive. If that's truly how you feel, you don't really understand much about the game or you're vastly overrating our DB talent. Sorry bud.

That's exactly why Tony got shafted and had to carry the team for years.

We gave up one of the worst passer ratings in the league, we were slow, we didn't take the ball away. Putting Dak into Tony's old position of having to score 40 points a game would have been unconscionable.

Now we're going into Dak and Zeke's 2nd year, OL is young, we have an incredibly young defense with some actual talent this year.

You're in competition every year when you have a franchise QB and a well built team. Over the last 2 years we've probably been the best drafting team in the NFL. If we need to sign a big talent, next off-season is the time. Dak will still be on his rookie contract.

I don't see what the rush is, after this draft they undeniably did the right thing.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Brian Williams who is a million times more famous then your blogger, lied and said he was riding in a helicopter when it came under attack. Did he not think that the other 8 soldiers in that helicopter would not dispute this.

So it might be hard for you to imagine a blogger lying, it's not for me.

May be. He had nothing to gain to making that up. At least I dont think he had anything to gain...

waldoputty

Reaction score
Thinking we were a "piece" away is pretty naive. If that's truly how you feel, you don't really understand much about the game or you're vastly overrating our DB talent. Sorry bud.

That's exactly why Tony got shafted and had to carry the team for years.

We gave up one of the worst passer ratings in the league, we were slow, we didn't take the ball away. Putting Dak into Tony's old position of having to score 40 points a game would have been unconscionable.

Now we're going into Dak and Zeke's 2nd year, OL is young, we have an incredibly young defense with some actual talent this year.

You're in competition every year when you have a franchise QB and a well built team. Over the last 2 years we've probably been the best drafting team in the NFL. If we need to sign a big talent, next off-season is the time. Dak will still be on his rookie contract.

I don't see what the rush is, after this draft they undeniably did the right thing.

I did not say we were 1 player away from having the perfect team.
We were 1 player away on the DL from winning it all last year because the offense was that dominant.
Our DBs were far from perfect but good enough if the Qb did not have 8 seconds to throw the ball.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
we should have learned from our mistake in FA by 2000.
but times change and rules change, it is too late to learn that mistake when the system changed.

most of the players on the current team were drafted.
so your argument is not relevant.
it is not as if i am suggesting signing 10 or 20 FAs.

Injuries happen.
You discard the player in that case and eat the dead money.
There is plenty of cap space - the times have changed.

You are starting to get the point.
We had to draft 2 players with 2nd round grades to have a reasonable expectation of getting 1 starter.
You should now understand why letting ALL the DBs go was going overboard, thereby causing the debacle that required drafting 4 DBs.
We didn't let all the DBs go. Brown, Scandrick and newly signed Carroll have all been starters in this league. My argument about teams signing FAs vs using the draft is more relevant than your chart since you are calling for the team to spend more in FA.

You ignored when I said you need to look at how well it pans out for FA signees from a statistical perspective. That's extremely relevant if you want to use data points to support arguments (as you are doing for draft picks).

gmoney112

Reaction score
I did not say we were 1 player away from having the perfect team.
We were 1 player away on the DL from winning it all last year because the offense was that dominant.
Our DBs were far from perfect but good enough if the Qb did not have 8 seconds to throw the ball.

We wouldn't have beat the Falcons or NE with Charles Haley in his prime. We might have squeeked by GB, but who cares.

waldoputty

Reaction score
We didn't let all the DBs go. Brown, Scandrick and newly signed Carroll have all been starters in this league. My argument about teams signing FAs vs using the draft is more relevant than your chart since you are calling for the team to spend more in FA.

You ignored when I said you need to look at how well it pans out for FA signees from a statistical perspective. That's extremely relevant if you want to use data points to support arguments (as you are doing for draft picks).

There is no doubt that the draft would be the most reasonable foundation for building a team.
We did that and went 13-3.
There are 49 real players on the roster and most of them are either young or drafted.
So your argument about signing FA and draft is not relevant.
The team already falls under your argument as mostly drafted.

You can succeed or fail in FA and the draft.
You can go the way the Giants did and the Broncos did.
Or you can go the way that the Commanders and Eagles did.
Just like the draft, who you pick in FA matters.
If FAs work out, great and we win.
If FAs do not work out, you cut them and eat the dead money.
We have the cap space for that now.

The team left 3 holes in the backfield to cover.
3 (or 2.5) starters left.
That required a massive number of picks to be used.
This just shows that Carroll is not viewed as a viable starter.
Again being cheap when tens of millions were available.

waldoputty

Reaction score
We wouldn't have beat the Falcons or NE with Charles Haley in his prime. We might have squeeked by GB, but who cares.

Atlanta would have been the tougher opponent.
They should have beat NE if not for their historic collapse.

I think we would be the better team if we had Haley in his prime against the Falcons.
The DBs would look a lot better if QBs dont have 8 seconds to pass.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
There is no doubt that the draft would be the most reasonable foundation for building a team.
We did that and went 13-3.
There are 49 real players on the roster and most of them are either young or drafted.
So your argument about signing FA and draft is not relevant.
The team already falls under your argument as mostly drafted.

You can succeed or fail in FA and the draft.
You can go the way the Giants did and the Broncos did.
Or you can go the way that the Commanders and Eagles did.
Just like the draft, who you pick in FA matters.
If FAs work out, great and we win.
If FAs do not work out, you cut them and eat the dead money.
We have the cap space for that now.

The team left 3 holes in the backfield to cover.
3 (or 2.5) starters left.
That required a massive number of picks to be used.
This just shows that Carroll is not viewed as a viable starter.
Again being cheap when tens of millions were available.
Do you realize that when the NYG won their titles they were mostly homegrown rosters? Using the same methodology we are using now? Or are you giving them credit for last year when they actually finished worse than us? The Broncos were an outlier.

And this doesn't show what you are erroneously presuming about Carroll. Man you are full of faulty assumptions just to fit your narrative.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Do you realize that when the NYG won their titles they were mostly homegrown rosters? Using the same methodology we are using now? Or are you giving them credit for last year when they actually finished worse than us? The Broncos were an outlier.

the giants won their championships long ago.
the cap changed around 2015.
you are using old lessons for the new world.
the giants were worst than us because of their offense.
tbh, they should not have fixed their defense when their offense was horrible.
made no sense at all, but they did fix their defense.

Dhragon

Deadly Claws of Death
Reaction score
Clap, clap, clap...

I think we have all GOT to give waldo his due here. He has almost single-handedly kept a thread worth no more than 2 pages MAX going for 18 pages at this point. And he's doing it all based on flimsy at best "evidence". He said he was used to fighting lawyers all the time in an earlier post I believe. I think he is either a fantastic lawyer who can play a crowd with nothing more than a few scraps of info in his favor or a horrible one who all the judges groan out loud whenever they see and shut him down early because they know how it will all unfold. Hard to tell yet.

Of course "fighting with lawyers" could mean he's a judge instead. If so, he seems to value circumstantial and heresay evidence much more than he should.

Or it could mean he is a career criminal.

Any way you cut it though. He has done fantastic in keeping a thread which is long past its expiration date active and should be applauded.

Clap, clap, clap!

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
the giants won their championships long ago.
the cap changed around 2015.
you are using old lessons for the new world.
the giants were worst than us because of their offense.
tbh, they should not have fixed their defense when their offense was horrible.
made no sense at all, but they did fix their defense.
The defense that we had more sacks than? Yet they have two supposed Daddy DEs that they have now spent money on.

You act like this is a new world just because there is more cap space to go around, and it's really not. More cap space just means fewer quality players will reach the market because teams will use their plentiful cap space to keep guys they may have had to cut for financial reasons in the past. With the plentiful cap space league wide it's more important to develop your own players and draft well than to rely on signing FAs.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Clap, clap, clap...

I think we have all GOT to give waldo his due here. He has almost single-handedly kept a thread worth no more than 2 pages MAX going for 18 pages at this point. And he's doing it all based on flimsy at best "evidence". He said he was used to fighting lawyers all the time in an earlier post I believe. I think he is either a fantastic lawyer who can play a crowd with nothing more than a few scraps of info in his favor or a horrible one who all the judges groan out loud whenever they see and shut him down early because they know how it will all unfold. Hard to tell yet.

Of course "fighting with lawyers" could mean he's a judge instead. If so, he seems to value circumstantial and heresay evidence much more than he should.

Any way you cut it though. He has done fantastic in keeping a thread which is long past its expiration date active and should be applauded.

Clap, clap, clap!
Dude should be dis-barred for beating a dead horse.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Clap, clap, clap...

Clap, clap, clap!

At least this post is entertaining :muttley:
I am not an attorney but dealt with attorneys all the time.
If I was a career criminal, Mara would be in trouble lol

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
What a silly argument.
We dont have room for 3 DL just like we dont have room for 4 DBs.
You throw resources towards the problem and keep the best ones, just like with the DBs.

We need one starter.
I already gave you the statistics 101 on it.
58%+26%+27% - that is the chance for getting 1 starter by spending all 3 draft picks on the DL.
Lol at your use of statistics. Shameful.

And if your goal is to get 1 starter from your first 3 picks then you're doing something very wrong.

If you're drafting without thought for who is on your team you're doing things very wrong.

Our draft has been universally praised and yet you think we'd have been better served just drafting nothing but lineman because you think this is madden.

slomoxn

Reaction score
i agree that Dallas is well organized, and they definitely did not broke from their strategy.
i am saying their well organized approach resulted in a DB mess that had fans freaked out.
my guess is they gave their own FAs certain salaries that they would go to, and not a dollar above it.

i am not the only one that complained about the loss of all the FA DBs.
their well-organized debacle shifted the focus of the draft to replacing the DBs.
think back after the GB game, how many of us were complaining about the DBs or how many of us were complaining about the DL?
You don't seem to understand they wanted and were willing to let things play out this way. It was not a mistake or debacle, they didn't care; it was part of their plan. They made a decision years ago to build their team, no more high priced FAs that would not fit what they were trying to do. Get young players they can coach exactly what they wanted into them, keep and pay the ones that pan out and churn those that don't. You think they made a mistake where they feel things worked out exactly how they wanted. It's sad but you don't work for them and your philosophy is completely off focus of what they want to accomplish so if you did work for the organization you wouldn't for long. You'd be the one not seeing the vision which would mean you should go find a vision that suits you or create your own with your own team. They at building what suits their goals and what you want they have tried, for how many years did Jerry dump money into fa's and for nothing but cap issues.

waldoputty

Reaction score
The defense that we had more sacks than? Yet they have two supposed Daddy DEs that they have now spent money on.

You act like this is a new world just because there is more cap space to go around, and it's really not. More cap space just means fewer quality players will reach the market because teams will use their plentiful cap space to keep guys they may have had to cut for financial reasons in the past. With the plentiful cap space league wide it's more important to develop your own players and draft well than to rely on signing FAs.

no one said not to develop your own players.
we are only in the position to contend because we developed our own players.
but winners know they have a winning hand and go for the kill.
salaries are still low because you got teams like the packers and steelers that are still in the 20th century.
if they wise up, salaries will go up much more.