Talent acquisition happens year round

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You’re probably right about DT but they might have more luck with RB.
There’s always a chance at RB but even as dismal as our RB group is it won’t be easy doing better unless we make a trade. Comments by Jerry after the draft left the door open for making a trade.

HungryLion

Reaction score
This is the same for all NFL teams. I’ve got faith in Will McClay to find some talent at both the RB and DT positions before the season starts. Whether it’s a young player that’s on the tail end of a strong roster or a veteran last day cut. There will be some excellent talent teams will try and stash on the practice squad. This is where McClay shines. Who knows, they may already have someone on the roster in both areas. So no need to lose faith. Lots to look forward to.
You’re right. They’re gonna land a starting DT off waivers at the end of training camp and then come playoff time we will all be talking about how we can’t stop the run again.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
You’re right. They’re gonna land a starting DT off waivers at the end of training camp and then come playoff time we will all be talking about how we can’t stop the run again.
Some folks are hotels and some aren’t. It’sa choice.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Some folks are hotels and some aren’t. It’sa choice.
Ill actually agree with you on RB

I do think at some point a RB heavy team is gonna let one of their solid vets go because they have younger cheaper guys.

I could see the cowboys getting a chance to sign a RB who will be solid in a rotation.

But any DT’s they pick up would likely be a liability if the cowboys needed them to play a decent amount of snaps

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

I do think at some point a RB heavy team is gonna let one of their solid vets go because they have younger cheaper guys.

I could see the cowboys getting a chance to sign a RB who will be solid in a rotation.

But any DT’s they pick up would likely be a liability if the cowboys needed them to play a decent amount of snaps
Maybe they can poach someone off their practice squad. They’ve done that before. There’s other ways to acquire talent as well.

Sydla

Reaction score
Show me one of those post signing statements. I’m sure I just said I’m hopeful. Now Kendricks was a good signing and there’s all the evidence in the world he’ll do well here. I don’t think I said anything more.

You haters are making stuff up trying to attack me and in the process make yourself feel better. That’s a fact.
Kendricks signed months ago. Your post was about now and how McClay will add talent now and this is where he shines.

OK. Show us.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

It won't matter if we haven't "fixed" the o-line run blocking and scheme/game plan.

Need some holes. How many times do you see a linemen 5 yards up the field looking for someone to pancake?

I have had it with RBs needing showcase their speed to the edge because that's all there is.

mcmvp

Reaction score
Hey I knew when I posted an optimistic and hopeful thread folks like you would go negative on it. It’s a given with your types.
Did you also know the level of hypocrisy you were displaying when saying people should be optimistic about late offseason signings while, at the same time, calling people ‘naive’ in another thread title?

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
It does not matter who Jethro is listening to, he makes the decisions. The goal is to build a SB team.

Anyone 1 player that wants to reset the market is a detriment to the team period. Never mind 3 of them at the same time. If you are going to reset the market, then for the Love of God, be the first to do it in the off season, not the last.

Either tear it ALL down and rebuild or someone has to be traded. Hanging out and getting dunked on at the RIM is not fun.

Maybe they can poach someone off their practice squad. They’ve done that before. There’s other ways to acquire talent as well.
Signing players other teams don’t want and poaching players off other teams’ practice squads is a way to build a roster in the NFL. Is it how teams build good rosters? It will not provide quality personnel. If it’s a young player with potential there is little time to develop the player and integrate him into the team. If it’s veteran player he is available because he wasn’t good enough to win a reserve role on the team that released him. In both cases if seeking to fill immediate needs you are gaining the services of players other teams felt they didn’t need. If this was McClay’s plan for this off season and Jerry has kept him for over two decades it’s fair to question the ability of either or both of them.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
False. Talent acquisition for this team only occurs twice a year. In April during the draft and UDFA and June after the minor leagues wrap up the season. That’s it.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Did you also know the level of hypocrisy you were displaying when saying people should be optimistic about late offseason signings while, at the same time, calling people ‘naive’ in another thread title?
I never said people should be optimistic. Just that people shouldn’t be negative all the time. Get it straight before inserting foot in mouth.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Signing players other teams don’t want and poaching players off other teams’ practice squads is a way to build a roster in the NFL. Is it how teams build good rosters? It will not provide quality personnel. If it’s a young player with potential there is little time to develop the player and integrate him into the team. If it’s veteran player he is available because he wasn’t good enough to win a reserve role on the team that released him. In both cases if seeking to fill immediate needs you are gaining the services of players other teams felt they didn’t need. If this was McClay’s plan for this off season and Jerry has kept him for over two decades it’s fair to question the ability of either or both of them.
No one is signing practice squad players to build an NFL team. You haters always exaggerate what others say to justify your agenda and make you feel better about yourselves. You can get a player, Colombo, off another teams practice squad if that player is better than what you have. No team, not even Dallas, relies on that method to build an NFL team.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There’s always a chance at RB but even as dismal as our RB group is it won’t be easy doing better unless we make a trade.
They will do better by changing the running scheme.

They will do better by upgrading the center position.

They will do better with Steele another year away from his ACL.

If Guyton is serviceable (he will be) the running game should be a lot better at some point in the season.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
You would think

Hey CZ Jester, read your post.

You were talking about plucking guys NOW and this is a time McClay shines.

Do you comprehend what you actually write?
Talent acquisition is a year around process. You just wanted to crap on the thread so took it a different direction. It’s what the haters do.

rambo2

Reaction score
You want to have your own draft? If you don't want it to go to the houston rockets, so they have to send them their son's out of sixteen four first picks

next year in a really, really deep elite two thousandYou want to have your own draft? If you don't want it to go to the houston rockets, so they have to send them their son's out of sixteen four first picks next year in a really, really deep elite two thousand IP

I agree. And the Joneses shouldn't do sit up there and say they are all in when you haven't done anything to make this team better. They're lying.
The team is still one of the better teams in the league.