News: Tank asked for 20 million, Cowboys matched that now Tank asking for 22.5M

kskboys

Reaction score
He's not the best defensive player in the NFL and he shouldn't be paid like he is. He doesn't take over a game like Mack and Donald. I say trade Tank, he's overvaluing himself.
How do you propose to trade a player who is not under contract?

kskboys

Reaction score
I agree. I have stated many times I was out when it came to 20M. The only place I disagree is that he is average. But I don't think he's elite either.
Same boat here. He is not elite, but he's very good and easily above average. W/ his injury and drug history, honestly he should be worth more in the 12-15 mil/season range. He should sprain his wrist signing the franchise tag.

John813

Reaction score
How do you propose to trade a player who is not under contract?

You tell him said team is willing to pay him what he wants so sign the FT so the Cowboys can trade him to that team.
Signs, FT, then gets traded.
Obviously, his agent would have to be in contact with the other team prior to the signing of the FT and ok the contract before the trade.

Falco78

Reaction score
Absolutely. He's got zero incentive to sign for less money than the tag would pay him.

This talk of "Tank asking for $20 million" is someone misunderstanding the facts, or a fabrication. He hasn't changed his asking price. It's always been north of there.
Then it is time for him to fail another drug test as he must be high

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Same boat here. He is not elite, but he's very good and easily above average. W/ his injury and drug history, honestly he should be worth more in the 12-15 mil/season range. He should sprain his wrist signing the franchise tag.

I know you're not in favor of players making a ton of cash and whatnot but $12-15M for his level of production is insane. Von Miller had a history and it didn't hurt him one bit when he got his contract. Shouldn't affect anyone else either if a team is willing to take the chance.

Not going to read through the entire thread but if we have no idea about the guaranteed money offers then we don't know anything. On another note, I find it hilarious that people will extol capitalism to other systems but then get offended the moment another person displays the mindset a capitalist would by then trying to make it some kind of moral failing. Wouldn't be for them if they had the opportunity though. But they don't. Therein lies the rub. It's like best-friend-with-hotter-girlfriend syndrome, lol. You have to find something wrong with the situation to protect the ego.

blueblood70

Reaction score
That "low ball" $20 million offer would have made Tank the highest paid DE and 3rd highest paid defender in the NFL. Now he's wanting, according to reports from $22.5 - $23.1 million a year. He's wanting to be paid like the best defender in the NFL, without any of the accomplishments. Mack and Donald have 7 1st team All-Pros and 3 DPOYs between them, Tank has one 2nd team AP, 2 years ago.
dude bumped his head in the Rams game , just dreams hes the best..20 mil if fair and I woudnt offer penny more..let him hold out, get surgery, become a FT signee late in the a year, use him for playoff run and say goodbye

bandfan

Reaction score
When he finally comes back and says ok 20 mil then Jerry needs to hit him with the "we live in a different world than we did 30 minutes ago...18 mil."

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
His stats are up there with the highest paid pass rusher in the league.

In December, this nfl.com article had him in the top 10 for DPOY, yet fans here seem to believe he's not among the best defensive linemen in the league.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...0-nfl-defensive-player-of-the-year-candidates

He was widely considered the best free agent entering this offseason, yet fans here want to trade him for a second-round pick.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...e-tops-a-deep-list-of-explosive-edge-rushers/

Here's an article on his overall impact on defense, and yet some don't believe he should get paid like other top linemen:

https://www.wfaa.com/article/sports...us-lawrences-impact-for-cowboys/287-624501300

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In December, this nfl.com article had him in the top 10 for DPOY, yet fans here seem to believe he's not among the best defensive linemen in the league.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...0-nfl-defensive-player-of-the-year-candidates

He was widely considered the best free agent entering this offseason, yet fans here want to trade him for a second-round pick.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...e-tops-a-deep-list-of-explosive-edge-rushers/

Here's an article on his overall impact on defense, and yet some don't believe he should get paid like other top linemen:

https://www.wfaa.com/article/sports...us-lawrences-impact-for-cowboys/287-624501300

Cowboys fans always think that they deserve a discount.

kskboys

Reaction score
You tell him said team is willing to pay him what he wants so sign the FT so the Cowboys can trade him to that team.
Signs, FT, then gets traded.
Obviously, his agent would have to be in contact with the other team prior to the signing of the FT and ok the contract before the trade.
Yes, a sign and trade. Very difficult since he's insisting on 23.5 mil/season.

kskboys

Reaction score
I know you're not in favor of players making a ton of cash and whatnot but $12-15M for his level of production is insane. Von Miller had a history and it didn't hurt him one bit when he got his contract. Shouldn't affect anyone else either if a team is willing to take the chance.

Not going to read through the entire thread but if we have no idea about the guaranteed money offers then we don't know anything. On another note, I find it hilarious that people will extol capitalism to other systems but then get offended the moment another person displays the mindset a capitalist would by then trying to make it some kind of moral failing. Wouldn't be for them if they had the opportunity though. But they don't. Therein lies the rub. It's like best-friend-with-hotter-girlfriend syndrome, lol. You have to find something wrong with the situation to protect the ego.
Incorrect. I couldn't care less what players make. The only facet I care about is this team winning. There is absolutely nothing personal about it.

12-15 mil is a ton of cash.

Ah, but there's two sides to capitalism. The employer also has the right to pay what he thinks is correct. And the employer has the right to counteroffer w/ an amount that doesn't hurt his business.

The GF parallel is completely off w/ my thoughts. My thoughts are strictly based on fielding a super bowl quality team. If there were no salary cap, I wouldn't care if Jerry paid him 100 mil/season. And I'm married, my ego has been gone for many years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John813

Reaction score
Yes, a sign and trade. Very difficult since he's insisting on 23.5 mil/season.

A team like the Colts could absorb that sized cap hit, which it wouldn't be that high for the first few years unless they wanted the cap hits to be higher early on.
Now, I'm sure the size of his contract may detour some teams from seriously getting into talks with the Cowboys, when looking into long range planning and/or realizing they have some core guys to re-sign too.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Ya know. I say we draw up a contract that pays him everything he wants. BUT.. Its incentive based. He gets his nice fat signing bonus. And there is guaranteed money. If he has a career ending injury then it’s one figure. But if he produces like he is supposed to then he gets what he wants. Basically incentive based. Get me the 10 or more sacks a year. Come in and play half way and get paid that way.

kskboys

Reaction score
A team like the Colts could absorb that sized cap hit, which it wouldn't be that high for the first few years unless they wanted the cap hits to be higher early on.
Now, I'm sure the size of his contract may detour some teams from seriously getting into talks with the Cowboys, when looking into long range planning and/or realizing they have some core guys to re-sign too.
Of course. But, are they interested? Their GM(Ballard) has proven to be a heady dude. I doubt whether he would pony up that kinda long term dough. And the Colts have 3 picks in the first two rounds in a draft polluted w/ quality DL's.

visionary

Reaction score

And then December and January happened and he disappeared like usual

Creeper

Reaction score
Maybe by trying to trade Tank it will demonstrate how much he is really worth. If teams won't even give up a high 1st round pick for him then he can;t possibly be worth more than $20 million a year. Ask him if he wants a trade and if so tell him to sign his franchise contract. Then if he can find a team that will be willing to pay him the money he wants the Cowboys will try to work out a trade for a 1st round pick in the top 20. At this point if Dallas can get a good first round pick for him then trade him.

If he is upping his demands, as reported, it means he doesn't really want a deal. He wants to hit the free agent market and sign with the highest bidder.