News: Tank asked for 20 million, Cowboys matched that now Tank asking for 22.5M

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Tank asked for 20 million the cowboys did match that amount he asked for wednesday by 20 or 20.5 millon, then tank went up on his demands should he get 22.5 now and wont have surgery till cowboys sign him to a contract what should be done, i tried to put this down as a poll question but couldnt find poll question option

1. Sign Tank only to the agreed amount first 20 million which cowboys matched
2. Meet tank and his agent halfway, with 21.5 million but tank has to have surgery now as showing good faith
3. Trade tank for holding cowboys up for a number 1 and number 3 and a number 2 in 2020
4. Tank deserves only the 22.5 million and no more pay him

Of course he did. 2019 tag value is $20m, 2020 is QB tag value at 24.8m. The average... $22.5m if he signed the tag for 2019 and 2020. Tank's agent is no fool

DRella

Reaction score
Either Lawrence signs offer presented or the Cowboys trade him immediately. We don't want another Steelers situation where a player feels he is bigger then team. Any bending by Cowboys front office to Lawrence demands will mean much more pain in contracts to players like Dak, Zeke, Cooper and Jones.

There should be no reason a player wins in this negotiation especially when he is being offered already fair market value.

DRella

Reaction score
So he has no intention of signing a deal

He just wants max dollars..... at least be honest

If that is the case then he should be traded. I don't think he is worth a penny over 18-19 million a season. The 20 being offered is generous and is good faith being shown by the Cowboys organization.

I don't think the Cowboys can garner a trade package similar to what the Bears gave up for Mack. I think Mack is a better all round player. But something in that neighborhood should be attainable.

1st Rounder '19, 3rd Rounder '19, 2nd Rounder '20 ???

Is a lot less then what Mack was traded for.

glimmerman

Reaction score
If that is the case then he should be traded. I don't think he is worth a penny over 18-19 million a season. The 20 being offered is generous and is good faith being shown by the Cowboys organization.

I don't think the Cowboys can garner a trade package similar to what the Bears gave up for Mack. I think Mack is a better all round player. But something in that neighborhood should be attainable.

Gonna be a stale mate for a while. If he don’t get the surgery soon then this season will be a wash.

Reactions: CWR

DRella

Reaction score
Gonna be a stale mate for a while. If he don’t get the surgery soon then this season will be a wash.

Hence the reason to trade him now. Sign the offer by this date or trade him.

He can decide. I think trading him to Arizona would make him happy.

dragon_mikal

Fire Garrett
Reaction score
Dude is coming across as a world class d-bag. He’s a good player but after this garbage I say cut him loose. Just MHO.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

That should be the dead give-away

If no team is willing to even trade a 1st then how can he be worth 22m a year when no other DE is getting more than 18m

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
I don't understand how a lot of you guys don't seem to get this - it's a negotiation !
Cowboys franchised him last year for $ 17, 000000. He said OK, I will sign and play on the Tag, but I wont do that again next year. And he played with his torn/partially torn Labrum - which the Cowboys knew about and gambled that would drive down his cost the following year. (Hence how everyone goes on about him fading towards the end of the year.) He played well, and it drove his price up..... That's their fault.
So, after a year of being able to negotiate, they slap the tag on him again for $20.500000. He counters, Told you I wouldn't play under the Tag a second time. Im not gonna have the surgery till this gets done ! that's called LEVERAGE.
His price is high $23,000000, Cowboys - before they franchised him offered $17, 000000 again. Why the hell would he accept that ? Now they have upped it to $20,500000. It's still a negotiation, they have to find a common ground.
I believe the timeline to agree to a deal is around June, to then give him the 3 months to heal after the surgery. And sooner would be even better.
So, 1 side came in high, 1 side came in low - what do you do ? Negotiate, and they are both doing it in the court of public opinion.

My hope is a deal gets struck for around $ 21,500000 per. Give him a reasonable signing bonus and ***** the back end. Hopefully before June.
This talk of trading him away is stupid, he's not quite Mack or Miller - who are both OLBer's but he is the best DE and just as good against the run as getting to the QB.
We Must Have Him Going Forward.
Or the whole offseason is for nothing without him, and all the FO talk of taking the next step is garbage, without him, we are a weaker team.
And with $116,000000 for next year, we can sign all the players we need to without doing any re-deals. Sign.That. Man !!!

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
So he has no intention of signing a deal

He just wants max dollars..... at least be honest

Like every great player he has intentions to sign for max dollars. I don't see that as being dishonest. Greedy maybe but football and sports in general are very short careers. Get what you can while you can. 20% of all NFL players are bankrupt within 5 years. Poor money management sure, wasteful spending without a doubt. Hey, it's an instant gratification society

glimmerman

Reaction score
Like every great player he has intentions to sign for max dollars. I don't see that as being dishonest. Greedy maybe but football and sports in general are very short careers. Get what you can while you can. 20% of all NFL players are bankrupt within 5 years. Poor money management sure, wasteful spending without a doubt. Hey, it's an instant gratification society
Exactly but he has to know his health and stats don’t match up with new record setting money. Nothing wrong with asking for it. But when you start holding out surgery to try to force a team to give you more then I start having issues. Take the 20 per year and run to the bank with the signing bonus. I would talk to my agent and see what the last amount of guaranteed money is. If it’s 60 million then I pick up the phone and call JJ and tell him make it 65 and you have a deal. Lol. Bypass the agent. Use him to get ya close.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Exactly but he has to know his health and stats don’t match up with new record setting money. Nothing wrong with asking for it. But when you start holding out surgery to try to force a team to give you more then I start having issues. Take the 20 per year and run to the bank with the signing bonus. I would talk to my agent and see what the last amount of guaranteed money is. If it’s 60 million then I pick up the phone and call JJ and tell him make it 65 and you have a deal. Lol. Bypass the agent. Use him to get ya close.

Agents negotiate to keep personalities and emotions out of the equation.While I agree that holding off surgery may hurt the team and it seems a bit heavy handed, put yourself in Tanks shoes and listen to your agent. Besides, if I'm Tank, it isn't my surgery delay that's hurting the team it's lack of a strong replacement strategy at LDE. Taco? We drafted the guy in the first round. Roddie likes him some rotation players. Time to step up Taco. Don't rule out the draft for a DE either.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
I don't understand how a lot of you guys don't seem to get this - it's a negotiation !
Cowboys franchised him last year for $ 17, 000000. He said OK, I will sign and play on the Tag, but I wont do that again next year. And he played with his torn/partially torn Labrum - which the Cowboys knew about and gambled that would drive down his cost the following year. (Hence how everyone goes on about him fading towards the end of the year.) He played well, and it drove his price up..... That's their fault.
So, after a year of being able to negotiate, they slap the tag on him again for $20.500000. He counters, Told you I wouldn't play under the Tag a second time. Im not gonna have the surgery till this gets done ! that's called LEVERAGE.
His price is high $23,000000, Cowboys - before they franchised him offered $17, 000000 again. Why the hell would he accept that ? Now they have upped it to $20,500000. It's still a negotiation, they have to find a common ground.
I believe the timeline to agree to a deal is around June, to then give him the 3 months to heal after the surgery. And sooner would be even better.
So, 1 side came in high, 1 side came in low - what do you do ? Negotiate, and they are both doing it in the court of public opinion.

My hope is a deal gets struck for around $ 21,500000 per. Give him a reasonable signing bonus and ***** the back end. Hopefully before June.
This talk of trading him away is stupid, he's not quite Mack or Miller - who are both OLBer's but he is the best DE and just as good against the run as getting to the QB.
We Must Have Him Going Forward.
Or the whole offseason is for nothing without him, and all the FO talk of taking the next step is garbage, without him, we are a weaker team.
And with $116,000000 for next year, we can sign all the players we need to without doing any re-deals. Sign.That. Man !!!

Now there is some solid reasoning