News: Tank asked for 20 million, Cowboys matched that now Tank asking for 22.5M

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Nick Foles' contract averages $22 million per year. Kirk Cousins is averaging $28 million. Jimmy Garapolo $27.5 million. And that's not even guys that I would consider at the top tier of their position. I mean, Alex Smith is making $23.5 million. I'd much rather have Tank at DE than Smith at QB.
Problem is we already have Dak, and he is going to cost $25 - $28 million per season. Dak has always been healthy, Tank hasn't. You still believe Tank is worth keeping at $22+ million for the next 5 years?

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
1- APY ..... they all want to be #1
2- Length- size matters
3- Guaranteed money
1) wrong
2) wrong
3) half right.

The most important things to a player are:

1) money guaranteed at signing
2) practical guarantees (think 2nd year salary/workout and bonuses etc)
3) 3 year cash to player

Tell me... Where is AAV in this calculation?

plymkr

Reaction score
That "low ball" $20 million offer would have made Tank the highest paid DE and 3rd highest paid defender in the NFL. Now he's wanting, according to reports from $22.5 - $23.1 million a year. He's wanting to be paid like the best defender in the NFL, without any of the accomplishments. Mack and Donald have 7 1st team All-Pros and 3 DPOYs between them, Tank has one 2nd team AP, 2 years ago.
He's not the best defensive player in the NFL and he shouldn't be paid like he is. He doesn't take over a game like Mack and Donald. I say trade Tank, he's overvaluing himself.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
10 tank threads on the first page. most saying the same thing.

i'll be back when something is done. the tank floggings are getting tiresome.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
In what f-ing universe is Demarcus Lawrence worth $20 million a year let alone $22.5 million a year? He isn't anywhere close to the level of an Aaron Donald or a Von Miller. He's an average defensive end that can be replaced. Trade him and if someone is stupid enough to pay us a high draft pick along with paying him the stupid money he is asking for let them.

Reaction score
I think Tank will take the 20million eventually, he's just angling towards skipping OTAs and part of training camp.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Problem is we already have Dak, and he is going to cost $25 - $28 million per season. Dak has always been healthy, Tank hasn't. You still believe Tank is worth keeping at $22+ million for the next 5 years?

I believe Tank is worth keeping. I'm not worried about how much his contract averages. The guaranteed money plus how it is structured will be what matters.

If someone wants to present a viable plan for replacing the best player we have on the defensive line, then I'd be willing to hear it. Trading Lawrence for a second, replacing him with someone like Ansah, etc., are not viable plans; they are options that weaken our defense when we need to get stronger.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
I believe Tank is worth keeping. I'm not worried about how much his contract averages. The guaranteed money plus how it is structured will be what matters.

If someone wants to present a viable plan for replacing the best player we have on the defensive line, then I'd be willing to hear it. Trading Lawrence for a second, replacing him with someone like Ansah, etc., are not viable plans; they are options that weaken our defense when we need to get stronger.

So, it's of a veritable proof positive provenance that having him in position doesn't even elavate the defense into the top 5 tiered ranks,eh?o_O

BigD_95

Reaction score
In what f-ing universe is Demarcus Lawrence worth $20 million a year let alone $22.5 million a year? He isn't anywhere close to the level of an Aaron Donald or a Von Miller. He's an average defensive end that can be replaced. Trade him and if someone is stupid enough to pay us a high draft pick along with paying him the stupid money he is asking for let them.

I disagree on him being average. He is better than average but I do agree he isn't on the level of Donald or Miller. I also agree he isn't worth 20 million a year. It would hurt down the road to sign players like Jaylon Smith. Dallas needs to make a grown up decision and move on from Dlaw. They cant be held hostage by a player refusing to get surgery. I'm sorry but that is outrageous. I lost all respect for the player at that point.

Flamma

Reaction score

I agree. I have stated many times I was out when it came to 20M. The only place I disagree is that he is average. But I don't think he's elite either.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
And you pretending like it doesn't matter is asinine

6 years. 200 million. 25 mill guaranteed.

vs.

6 years. 120 million. 75 mill guaranteed.

Yeah. Dumb to devalue the yearly average.

Flamma

Reaction score
6 years. 200 million. 25 mill guaranteed.

vs.

6 years. 120 million. 75 mill guaranteed.

Yeah. Dumb to devalue the yearly average.

He probably wouldn't accept the first. But the first option isn't good for the Cowboys either because the cap hit is enormous no matter how you slice it. The first one just gives the Cowboys an out. And depending on how that out is written up, he probably wouldn't accept it.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
He probably wouldn't accept the first. But the first option isn't good for the Cowboys either because the cap hit is enormous no matter how you slice it. The first one just gives the Cowboys an out. And depending on how that out is written up, he probably wouldn't accept it.

But but but, the first has such a higher yearly average!