Tank the season to go after Trevor Lawrence at QB? Thread **merged**

Dre11

Reaction score
We can sign Dak for 40 million a year and draft a defensive player. But it will get us nowhere.

We can maybe build a good solid team over time but this is the equivalent of the Chiefs passing on Mahomes because they needed defense.

Lawrence has potential to be an electric franchise changing player.

Continuing with Dak and paying him 40 million I think locks us into being a mediocre team for 3 seasons at least.

potential...lol he also has potential to suck and set the team back even further..lol

SackMaster

Reaction score
Dak would not have changed the outcome of the games against arizona or washington . just like Dalton , he would have been hurt or looked very mediocre with that OL . Anyone can see this ,. The issue is not Dak or Dalton . The issue here is cap space and making the right trades. This team needs A LOT of new talent,
I find it quite hilarious that $40 million is going to get us "a lot" of talent, yet it will leave us in a complete state of hopes and wishes that the "cheap" QB can come in and play like a Top-10 QB within the next 5 years before he would need to get paid.

People swore Dalton was going to be "just as good as Dak", but now that option failed miserably, let's draft at the position with the highest bust rate, by far, and pray he can be as good as Dak.

Good luck with that.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Wins and losses are not a quarterback stat you imbecile. You win and lose as a team. Keep reverting back to that argument though. You lose what little credibility you have left.

Round and round we go..

Calls me imbecile..

Then I repeat for the millionth time Dak is a good QB but he needs a lot around him to win and I don’t see us paying him and providing the team around him to win.

“Well dur dur dur umm football is a team sport.”

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Round and round we go..

Calls me imbecile..

Then I repeat for the millionth time Dak is a good QB but he needs a lot around him to win and I don’t see us paying him and providing the team around him to win.

“Well dur dur dur umm football is a team sport.”

But you said this team had "alot" around him and that "any QB " would look good in this offense......we even discussed the cutoff of a 20 mill bus driver qb being "just fine" for the weapons he has....you can't have it both ways, either Dak was performing at a high level because he is a top 5 QB (from his own numbers) or it was these weapons that for some reason only want to play for Dak....which is it?

BobbyFlame469

Reaction score
Na. The Falcons W did us in

At best, we can hope for Fields
What do you mean hope? Fields it’s going to have a better career than Lawrence.

athletic big arm quarterbacks like Fields, Mahomes, Allen, Russel Wilson are the future.

BobbyFlame469

Reaction score
Lawrence is reminiscent of Justin Herbort, Andrew Luck, Mahomes. That's the type of talent he has.

RGIII was a runner w/ a strong arm who couldn't pass consistently at an NFL level. Lawrence is already an awesome passer. Only question is whether he can to it at an NFL level. All signs point toward yes.
Please don’tput Mahomes in the same breath as them. They are trash in comparison:laugh:

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Just so i understand......we have a QB that when injured, was a top 5 QB in the league....we have a defense that isn't really injured but is THE WORST defense in the league..but yeah lets spend our draft capitol on a QB...Jesus some of you are thick for real......I'm thinking we need a DT a qaulity LB that is not hurt and a Saftey in this draft, if you can get a qaulity swing OT you grab that also... we were already scoring 30+ on offense how many you think this rookie QB going to score more than that?

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Forget trying to win Sunday Night. Forget trying to win the division this season. Our Superbowl at this point is Trevor Lawrence..

Unfortunately... We may have watermelon kicked away our chance at an elite quarterback. 2 wins might be too many.

We have a couple of problems.

1. The team pushing these players to try and win these games.

2. The Jets are showing no signs of winning a game.

I'm struggling to find 1 win on this schedule.

Nov. 1 at Kansas City Chiefs
Nov. 9 New England Patriots
BYE
Nov. 22 at Los Angeles Chargers
Nov. 29 Miami Dolphins
Dec. 6 Las Vegas Raiders
Dec. 13 at Seattle Seahawks
Dec. 20 at Los Angeles Rams
Dec. 27 Cleveland Browns
Jan. 3 at New England Patriots

Hopefully the Jets will bring back Darnold and do their best to let him prove his value and the team pulls together and wins 3 games somehow.

Dallas needs to start Ben Dennucci.. Garret Gilbert.. Whoever.. Keep this Oline that might be the worst in history in place and let the defense do the rest.

We also need Justin Fields to have a really good season.. Like hopefully much better than Lawrence type of season. Lawrence struggling wouldn't be the worst thing too to help build the hype for Fields.

Then hopefully on draft day we can do whatever it takes to possibly move up a spot or 2 and get Lawrence. I'm sure Lawrence's agent would put a ton of pressure on the Jets to not select him as well if Dallas and Jerry Jones come calling.

This draft can send us 1 of 2 ways.. We either stay on the path of mediocrity and draft some "stud" defensive guy that has little impact on the outcomes of games or we turn this thing around and bring an electric player inside this building that is so desperately needed.

Right now this franchise needs hope and there is no hope on the way. With Lawrence in the house everything changes.

Potential elite QB for 5 years on a rookie deal is the way forward. Signing Dak and overcoming all of the other obstacles required for him to win a Championship just seems like wishful thinking.

Look at that Jet's schedule and find me 3 wins..............I see maybe 2 at most, the Miami game and the Browns game, maybe.

So pick #2 is probably the highest we can get if we are being totally objective here and that assumes we dont accidently win another game as well.

With all the criticism the players are getting for pissing on Dalton's corpse while he lay on the ground unconscious, these beta males might be motivated enough when the Whatevers come to Big D. That game is the only one left on our schedule I see us having a chance to win.

basel90

Reaction score
I find it quite hilarious that $40 million is going to get us "a lot" of talent, yet it will leave us in a complete state of hopes and wishes that the "cheap" QB can come in and play like a Top-10 QB within the next 5 years before he would need to get paid.

People swore Dalton was going to be "just as good as Dak", but now that option failed miserably, let's draft at the position with the highest bust rate, by far, and pray he can be as good as Dak.

Good luck with that.
why do you say dalton failed miserably ? do you think this OL can make any QB look good? Dalton didn't even have zack martin . Do you realisticly think dak could have beat arizona or washington ?? Dalton had not chance and dak would not have had any chance. Don't forget when dak left the cowboys were also losing.

40 million in cap space is not to be understimated . This team needs every penny to fix this debacle.

Jfconrow

Reaction score
I don’t think they can lose like the Jets, but maybe! However that onsides kick cost them. I think the real question is if you have the top pick do you take Lawrence or the 3 1sts? It’s looking to me like Dallas will end up around pick 10, probably a 3 way tie for 3-4 wins....I don’t see the team being ok with losing out.

I’d use this season to see what they have in Gilbert / Dinucci, Install the new regime, and get the player suspensions over with. I might even keep Lee/LVE/any other injured player out to rehab them more. I’d use pollard and zeke 50/50 and get Lamb more involved. Just Air it out and get these QBs/WRs ready to go for next year. I don’t even care if there are 3 INTs a game.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
why do you say dalton failed miserably ? do you think this OL can make any QB look good? Dalton didn't even have zack martin . Do you realisticly think dak could have beat arizona or washington ?? Dalton had not chance and dak would not have had any chance. Don't forget when dak left the cowboys were also losing.

40 million in cap space is not to be understimated . This team needs every penny to fix this debacle.

They weren't losing with NO SHOT of being in the game..they were losing because our defense..now even if our defense was ok we would still be losing because our offense is the worst in the league, you better start drafting defense and do your job as a FO and keep your top 5 QB AND build a defense that can manage a game...this isn't "crazy" thinking, all the other teams are trying to do the same thing.....I'm betting Bill Bele "the greatest" is thinking about what the most imporatnt position on the field is right now...bet he isn't going to tell you" hey dont worry about your QB, just make sure he is cheap"

Motorola

Reaction score
Trevor Lawrence is another Jake Locker.

Low IQ football fans and brain dead analysts hype up every tall slow big arm quarterback like Daniel Jones, Darnold, Goff, and Lawrence every year then a mobile athletic quarterback like Russel Wilson, Lamar Jackson, Dak Prescott, and Watson end up being head and shoulders better.:facepalm:

Fields will be a much better quarterback than Lawrence
Trevor Lawrence is not slow. Seen him take off on scrambles and RPOs.
This QB has wheels. Doesn't run as much as Justin Fields, but he pick 'em up and put 'em down on the turf.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score

Yikes! Looks like a big gamble that could backfire and be super costly. Don't listen to the hype. Watch and study film.

If Dak is able to fully recover and settle for a $35 mil/season contract, I say sign Dak longterm and use that early 1st round pick to either address the Defense or Oline, ...or trade down for extra draft picks to better address the many holes on this team. Drafting a rookie QB with that costly early 1st round pick will do nothing to fix the many problems on this team, especially if Dak is able to heal and come back.

What say you?

:popcorn:

I don't think the Cowboys have a shot at beating out the Jets for the privilege of being the worst in the NFL and winning the Lawrence sweepstakes. The bounty of picks the Cowboys could get by trading back a couple of times could set them up ideally to compete next year.

phildadon86

Reaction score
But you said this team had "alot" around him and that "any QB " would look good in this offense......we even discussed the cutoff of a 20 mill bus driver qb being "just fine" for the weapons he has....you can't have it both ways, either Dak was performing at a high level because he is a top 5 QB (from his own numbers) or it was these weapons that for some reason only want to play for Dak....which is it?
Thank you

CarolinaFathead

Reaction score
Wait until he gets to the NFL. He’s S L O W. And not thick enough like Dak or cam Newton to power through runs
He runs a 4.7 forty. That’s not slow in my book. I guess if you’re comparing him to Jackson or Murray then I could see calling him slow but he’s as fast as Aaron Rodgers and Rodgers is a capable scrambler and runner. Enough so in fact, that you had to account for it early in his career and probably still do.

When I think slow, I think Tom Brady.

chagus

Reaction score
How about we stop drafting on offense for once? That’s why our defense is as putrid as it is. Start spending first round picks on defense. Then we’ll start winning games. We need at least a average defense to win.
Have u not seen our oline?