Tanks seeks 22.5, Cowboys offer 20

reddyuta

Reaction score
Well, trading him is still an option, and this draft has a lot of DEs that are high powered. So, we may not be up the stream without an oar if we can't come to an agreement. If anything, the DEs and DTs in this draft make this actually a break for us if we do end up trading him. I expect we'll draft a DE or two anyway and pick up some more DEs via UDFAs. So, trading him may not be a bad move.

IMO trading him is not an option,nobody is going to pay a often injured DE (with back problems) 22 million and he is yet to get his shoulder operated on.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Jerry may be greedy in a sense, but this ain't the case here, that money ain't going back in Jerry's pocket, it's gonna get paid to someone else.

Agreed, and I sense some of that money could go to another FA DE that we could bring in for much less than what DLaw is demanding. We still have time with FA if we want to move him for picks, which would probably be the right move. Trade him, draft a DE or two and, using the time we've got, bring aboard another DE via FA on a 1 or 2 year deal while we let the rookie DEs develop. I'd be intrigued if we went Zach Allen (DE Boston College) and Ximines (DE Old Dominion) in rounds 2 and 3. If we get an extra pick or two, then we could easily do that and get a DT as well with it and a S in round 4.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
IMO trading him is not an option,nobody is going to pay a often injured DE (with back problems) 22 million and he is yet to get his shoulder operated on.

Well, I wonder if we could get a conditional 2nd for him? If he gets the surgery between now and the draft, it's a 2nd. If he waits, then we get a 3rd. Either way, it'd be nice to move him for a draft pick or two. Besides, people have pointed out his stats. Yes, he's a bit injury prone, but he's still got a 1 year tag. I'm sure there are a few teams like the Raiders or Cardinals who would like to add to their pass rushing. I would try asking them. What have we to lose if we haven't asked teams already?

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Agreed, and I sense some of that money could go to another FA DE that we could bring in for much less than what DLaw is demanding. We still have time with FA if we want to move him for picks, which would probably be the right move. Trade him, draft a DE or two and, using the time we've got, bring aboard another DE via FA on a 1 or 2 year deal while we let the rookie DEs develop. I'd be intrigued if we went Zach Allen (DE Boston College) and Ximines (DE Old Dominion) in rounds 2 and 3. If we get an extra pick or two, then we could easily do that and get a DT as well with it and a S in round 4.

The only problem is there aren't any good DEs available in FA. Trading for pick(s) is an option but those picks aren't likely to have the same impact immediately which doesn't help the team as much this season. Waiting for them to develop doesn't help today and we need the pass rush.

starfan1

Reaction score
No. I think he has to sign the tag.
that's what I was thinking so the front office only recourse is cave or move forward signing others and pull tag offer and cut him so we wont get anything for him

erod

Reaction score
If they don't get this done, my gut is Tank will hold out, get his surgery right before the season, miss six weeks, make $20 million, and get ready for free agency again.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
we shouldnt but i think the sticking point is actually the guaranteed money.

Very well could be. Not thrilled with agent coming back demanding 22. Cowboys went up on their offer only to get a higher counter offer. At this stage may be willing to say you have until Monday to accept the 20 mill or we take it off the table.

ghst187

Reaction score
I swear I thought Tank tweeted out months ago that he wanted 20. So now we offer that and he wants 22?

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We don't have anyone better for now but most of his sacks have come against very week offline teams and he's injury prone.
Just a feeling but this is a type of personality that once he signs that mega deal will disappoint for various reasons.
Trade him for a 1st and save the Cap dollars.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Using Walter Football for the players and assuming hypothetically that we get the Raiders 2nd (35th) and 5th (131st), here's what I'd have as a mock draft (no simulator used, just my thoughts). No trade ups into the first round with this:
Round 2 (35): Dexter Lawrence (6'4" and 342 lbs) DT Clemson - Gives us a monster of a 1 tech that we've been needing for ages

Round 2 (58): Zach Allen (6'4" and 281 lbs) DE Boston College - Gives us a great DE to replace Lawrence with

Round 3 (90): Oshane Ximines (6'3" and 253 lbs) DE Old Dominion - Replaces Gregory as another powerful DE. Gives us 2 back to back excellent DEs

Round 4 (128): Marvel Tell III (6'2" and 198 lbs) S USC - Gives us a really good safety from USC

Round 4 (136): Mitchell Wilcox (6'4" and 245 lbs) TE South Florida - What's a Cowboys draft without a TE?

Round 5 (131): Darrell Henderson (5'8" and 208 lbs) RB Memphis - Gives us a nice backup to Zeke

Round 5 (165): Jordan Miller (6'0" and 186 lbs) CB Washington - an underrated CB who competes with Anthony Brown

Round 7 (241): John Ursua (5'10" and 175 lbs) WR Hawaii - You probably know my take on him by now.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
I swear I thought Tank tweeted out months ago that he wanted 20. So now we offer that and he wants 22?

What is guaranteed is all that matters. The team probably leaked the AAV numbers to get the precise reaction they are getting from most on this board.

DCreppinBoysfan

Reaction score
couldn't agree more. In the mean time, its idiotic for Tank not to fix that shoulder...and this talk of him having days off in camp scares me right away for a player we are gonna pay a kings ransom for and rely on. I HATE IT. If I am paying him, I want him fully involved in every ****** practice,period. NOT TO GET THE COUNTRY CLUB SPECIAL TREATMENT. MY GAWD! That's whats been wrong around here!! Equal play for equal pay!
I hear you but We don’t want him getting injured during training camp. As long as he comes to ever game fully committed to being war daddy I could care less

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
The only problem is there aren't any good DEs available in FA. Trading for pick(s) is an option but those picks aren't likely to have the same impact immediately which doesn't help the team as much this season. Waiting for them to develop doesn't help today and we need the pass rush.

Yes, however, I think I know of a few DEs where we will be drafting that can make an immediate impact. Zach Allen being one of them as I've stated. Now, if we can get a high 2nd, Dexter Lawrence would be a fantastic option to pair with Zach Allen. Talk about a monster dline then.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Using Walter Football for the players and assuming hypothetically that we get the Raiders 2nd (35th) and 5th (131st), here's what I'd have as a mock draft (no simulator used, just my thoughts). No trade ups into the first round with this:
Round 2 (35): Dexter Lawrence (6'4" and 342 lbs) DT Clemson - Gives us a monster of a 1 tech that we've been needing for ages

Round 2 (58): Zach Allen (6'4" and 281 lbs) DE Boston College - Gives us a great DE to replace Lawrence with

Round 3 (90): Oshane Ximines (6'3" and 253 lbs) DE Old Dominion - Replaces Gregory as another powerful DE. Gives us 2 back to back excellent DEs

Round 4 (128): Marvel Tell III (6'2" and 198 lbs) S USC - Gives us a really good safety from USC

Round 4 (136): Mitchell Wilcox (6'4" and 245 lbs) TE South Florida - What's a Cowboys draft without a TE?

Round 5 (131): Darrell Henderson (5'8" and 208 lbs) RB Memphis - Gives us a nice backup to Zeke

Round 5 (165): Jordan Miller (6'0" and 186 lbs) CB Washington - an underrated CB who competes with Anthony Brown

Round 7 (241): John Ursua (5'10" and 175 lbs) WR Hawaii - You probably know my take on him by now.
Zach Allen could really be the pick at 58 but he's going to play 3T in pass rush situations and may eventually bulk up to be a full time 3T. Similar to Irving.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Yes, however, I think I know of a few DEs where we will be drafting that can make an immediate impact. Zach Allen being one of them as I've stated. Now, if we can get a high 2nd, Dexter Lawrence would be a fantastic option to pair with Zach Allen. Talk about a monster dline then.
So then why would some hypothetical team want to trade those picks for a chance to sign a DE that needs surgery to potentially league leading contract?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Zach Allen could really be the pick at 58 but he's going to play 3T in pass rush situations and may eventually bulk up to be a full time 3T. Similar to Irving.

Hmm, yes, that's possible. Though, if that's the case, then Ximines would be a sensible pick in the 3rd for us because he's a pure DE. So, we'd really stack our defencive line with that trio if we trade Lawrence.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
The way I look at it, his delayed surgery and recovery are going to impact his availability and not knowing how much damage is in need of repair and the outlook for full recovery is troubling.
I agree. I don't see the advantage of waiting. I mean, his shoulder came out of the socket vs. Houston.
And, back in January he said he was just waiting on his Dr.s availability.