Tanks seeks 22.5, Cowboys offer 20

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
From how I’ve heard it, DLaw said don’t tag me (as you told me you wouldn’t) and before the tag deadline he was agreeable to $20 million per (guaranteed I don’t know). Then he got tagged cutting him off from FA. Once he was kept from FA by their move and unable to see what his market was the team suddenly thought $20 million was fine now. It’s logical he’d assume the team thought it would be higher than the $20 million if he made FA or they would have kept their offer lower. So if I get cut off from seeing my number in the market, and I was told one thing and had another done to me (tag) as far as I saw it, and I see Flowers (a much worse player in my mind) get $58 million guaranteed, then I’m reassessing my number to the organization and coming back at a higher number. Also the shoulder is his only leverage for getting something done now so he doesn’t miss time. If the Cowboys can’t see how their dealings in this can be construed by the player as less than honest and the player now feels like he’s got to play hardball to be fair to himself and his people, they are fools. I have no problem with how DLaw is responding to the organization’s moves.

His agent already knows what he can get on the open market. None of this is relative IMO. The organization had to tag him to secure his rights. It would have been beyond stupid not to do that. He's doing what he thinks is the right thing to do to make his money. The team is doing what they believe is best for the team. It is what it is but I will also say that DLaw turned down a long term contract last year as well. It's not as if the team didn't want to sign him. The same thing that is happening now happened then. Right or wrong, the book on this has always been one of the Cowboys believing he is worth X and he believing he is worth Y.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Because DLaw is quite well developed, despite his injuries. Teams like the Raiders and the Colts have a load of cap space. Yes, the surgery is going to be a bit of a sticky wicket, which is why I don't see us getting a 1st for him. However, the Raiders have a load of picks, and I could see us getting a 2nd for him from them. Yes, he might need surgery, but they've got 3 1st round picks and a load of cap space. They'd be the best team to make the move with imo.

If the Raiders didn't want to pay Mack(who is much better) big money then why would they trade picks for and sign Tank for big money? They traded for Brown, but got him for a bargain, trade wise,but they're still in rebuild mode and hard to see them giving a 2nd or higher at this point. Most of the other teams with available space right now are in rebuild and/or have addressed their pass rush. Since the bulk of big name FA has passed, we're not going to get near what we believe his worth to be, at the very least for draft picks this year. It's just the same sticking points for other teams to take on except it would also cost them draft pick(s).

It's easy just to say trade him for picks, but you have to find a willing partner and closer to the draft as it gets, the less value we would get in return.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
anyone know his outrageous demands for guaranteed money?

Probably 50% at a minimum.

So lets say he wants $22 a season for 4 years, that is $88 million with $44 guaranteed at a minimum.

That's a hell of a lot of money for a LDE, but we really got no choice here since he is literally our entire pass rush right now.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
For what are you serious. This is a crucial contract for the Cowboys to show that they run the ship not the player. If they cave here then what happens with Dak, Zeke, Cooper, Jones, Smith and LVE? Have you seen the deals that the Cowboys have completed with other main stays (Smith, Martin, Fredrick, Lee), none of them underpaid, all paid accordingly but not overpaid.

I get that this money is any of the fans. But if you want a competitive team long term, what Stephen is doing is great. And you all should be backing it 100%. One thing if he lowballs our players, another if he isn't willing to overpay.

Reports are that Steven's initial offer to DLaw was $17 million, which is $3 million below the tag.

I believe it is Clarence Hill reporting this and he said it was "insulting to DLaw" to low ball him like that.

So what Stephen is dong is not great, you dont low ball your own home grown talent like that.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Reports are that Steven's initial offer to DLaw was $17 million, which is $3 million below the tag.

I believe it is Clarence Hill reporting this and he said it was "insulting to DLaw" to low ball him like that.

So what Stephen is dong is not great, you dont low ball your own home grown talent like that.
You want to be insulted?
Let's talk about a studio offering you 4 figures for a project you know is going to net them over a couple hundred million in profit.
That's an insult.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
If you want a defense this year that can help carry us to the playoffs you sign Lawrence at least to Franchise Tag.

If not and your intent on saving a couple million a year over your value for him then fine but don’t be screaming when we miss the playoffs.

Basically this will cost us because of our other poor decisions on risk which didn’t work out. Making a third bad decision won’t correct the first two bad decisions.

I agree Diehard, its stupid to not be signing DLaw if they are only $2.5 apart. He is literally our entire pass rush at times.

At least the silver lining is that if they keep dicking around with DLaw and he either doesn't play or half arses it on the tag, we miss the playoffs and in all likelihood Garrett is gone. Dont see how Jerry can give a fresh new extension to Garrett if we are a 6-10 team.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I agree Diehard, its stupid to not be signing DLaw if they are only $2.5 apart. He is literally our entire pass rush at times.

At least the silver lining is that if they keep dicking around with DLaw and he either doesn't play or half arses it on the tag, we miss the playoffs and in all likelihood Garrett is gone. Dont see how Jerry can give a fresh new extension to Garrett if we are a 6-10 team.
But they were originally 3 million a part and the Cowboys gave into the agents demands. Then the agent made new demand for another 2.5 million. The agent is playing games with them.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Unless the defense collapses which would set up as a good excuse or scapegoat for Garrett missing the playoffs.

Corso

Reaction score
Unless the defense collapses which would set up as a good excuse or scapegoat for Garrett missing the playoffs.
If Payton becomes available, like all the smoke signals are saying:
There will be no scapegoat for Garrett.

If not... you could very well be right.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Jerry may be greedy in a sense, but this ain't the case here, that money ain't going back in Jerry's pocket, it's gonna get paid to someone else.

that may be but too often I see re all sports, posters simply stating the player should accept X dollars. I always wonder why do fans care what a player is paid. If Jerry wants to risk losing a player over 2.5 million, that is up to him, but if he does, don't complain if we get no sacks next year. I find fans in all sports support the owners way too much.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Let him walk and risk the defense collapsing without a pass rush.

Again, our choices are limited because of our other risk which failed.

We’re only talking about 2 million. We’ll over pay Dak more than that.

When ET visited, he wanted $14 a season and Dallas offered $11 a season...……$3 million difference and we told him to get lost.

If we would have paid that, he would have signed that night and would never have even been on the radar for the Ravens.

So penny pinching cost us the best safety in the NFL...……….only bright side is that missing the playoffs is the end of Garrett.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Is he gonna show up in crunch time and the playoffs, if he gets that kind of money. More than 10% of the cap to a DE, and not the best one in the game, is just stupid. And the rumor is another 15% to the QB. 25% of the cap to 2 players will force this team to let some badly needed players walk. They're in danger of screwing this team right into the ground, they just don't learn.

What do you think Elliott, Cooper and J Smith are going to want now?

They paid him 17M for one tagged season, that should be the ceiling going forward.

you expect him to be paid 3-4 million under market?

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
if they don't get Lawrence signed then they wont win very many games there defense will take a huge step backward at least that means garrett is gone so that would be one good thing to come out of it

speedkilz88

Reaction score
you expect him to be paid 3-4 million under market?
The market so far has been 18 million per (Trey Flowers), Cowboys upped their offer to 20 million. Agent moved the goalpost. How would you like to buy a car from someone who ups the asking price by $2500 after you finally agree to their original asking price?

Corso

Reaction score
When ET visited, he wanted $14 a season and Dallas offered $11 a season...……$3 million difference and we told him to get lost.

If we would have paid that, he would have signed that night and would never have even been on the radar for the Ravens.

So penny pinching cost us the best safety in the NFL...……….only bright side is that missing the playoffs is the end of Garrett.
Shup with all the bold Beast? You worried peeps won't read you?
Post on the reg.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
He’s has us over a barrel because of our other poor decisions which risk failed.

Let him walk but don’t come complaining later why our defense can’t get pressure on the QB and defense isn’t top 10 anymore.

All for a couple million.

Exactly.

This is what happens when your front office thinks Taco is better than Watt and Gregory didnt inhale.

Dont come crying to me when DLaw wants to get paid