Tap the breaks on Pollard

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Preseason does not matter. Literally. Is he a better pick than Tristy Hill? You bet. But, 13 carries is a significant opportunity and he did nothing with it. I'm just messing with all the folks who had him pencilled in as the next Alvin kamara.

As much as I love to be one you can't always be a stat nerd.

Look at the carries and what was there on those carries. There was nothing there and no threat of a pass at all.

Pre-season production does not matter but you don't ignore talent and skill just because it's pre-season and he has it.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They intentionally ran him between the tackles and used him to burn clock in garbage time. They literally did none of the things they’ve been doing with him in camp here in week one, and it was on purpose. Come on, guys. I know it’s early, but our complaining about nothing game has to be better than this. Let’s focus on the run defense a bit.

You find something better to complain about.......he was not the bright shiny spot everyone expected. Maybe that changes, but I can make an issue out of it now.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As much as I love to be one you can't always be a stat nerd.

Look at the carries and what was there on those carries. There was nothing there and no threat of a pass at all.

He got first quarter carries too when it was still a game.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Guys it was week one, Dallas did not use Pollard much in this game, really did not need to. I'm sure he will be more involved as they move forward. Dallas did run some formations in the game that actually had Zeke and Pollard in the backfield together.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Preseason does not matter. Literally. Is he a better pick than Tristy Hill? You bet. But, 13 carries is a significant opportunity and he did nothing with it. I'm just messing with all the folks who had him pencilled in as the next Alvin kamara.
He might be. It's too early to say.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
He got first quarter carries too when it was still a game.

I'd have to go back and look at those carries.

He was in on the play that Jarwin scored on so evidently the Giants thought enough of him to abandon the pass for the run.

Praxit

Reaction score
..no tapping the breaks, full peddle to the mettle, I say.. ;)..

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pollard has to learn now to run, Zeke knows how, especially behind this OL. That said Pollard has skills and will be huge in relief of Zeke, relax.
Some of you are so stats driven you don't see skills.
My advice to some: If a beautiful blonde walks up to you in a bar and smiles......Smile back and say Hi! It's all in how you read things boys.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Against a putrid Giants defense, he managed 24 yards on 13 carries. He looked every bit the 4th round pick out of his depth.
Wrong. People love to start false narratives.

There was a defender in the backfield on the majority of his carries.

He had more attempts after Zack Martin was out of the game than with Martin in the game (They pulled Martin once the game was out of reach for the Giants). The Cowboys were just running out the clock at that point and the Giants just focused on the run.

His best run was 18 yards but was called back for a penalty on Su'a-Filo.

He also had a 5 yard run called back due to penalty.

Of the plays that he didn't have an unblocked defender in the backfield or he didn't start from the endzone, he did the following:
1. 5 yards, called back on penalty.
2. 3 yards.
3. 18 yards called back on penalty.

Other than those 3:

He had 1 where he started out standing in the endzone and just took what was available on the inside as the Cowboys just tried to get space to work with after starting out backed up against the endzone. It was interesting that they would use Pollard instead of Zeke in this situation.

All other plays he was either hit in the backfield or he juked a defender in the backfield.

Looking at stats is misleading. On a 2 yard gain he actually gained 4 yards after 1st contact. On a -3 yard gain the initial contact was at -6. He only had 1 play where he went down where he was first hit.

My play by play review:

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/review-pollard-vs-giants.439829/

GenoT

Reaction score
Tony Pollard is a backup RB who got backup reps, in backup situations and produced backup numbers.

This is known to occasionally happen in the NFL. ;)

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tony Pollard is a backup RB who got backup reps, in backup situations and produced backup numbers.

This is known to occasionally happen in the NFL. ;)

Yeah, but only to backups.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Tap the brakes on these stupid, premature conclusions. It was his first game and the Giant’s run defense is pretty good. I swear, some of you people should just stick to water colors.

BUT LOOOKY WE FOUND A STAT AFTER THE GAME TO COMPLAIN ABOUT!!!

Pollard's last five carries were straight into the line when Dallas was running out the clock with a TWENTY FIVE POINT LEAD with six minutes left in the game. Those last five carries were telegraphed and went for a total of 3 yards, the last three went for zero yards.

Its not water colors, but some posters decide on something to kvetch about and then go looking for a stat that backs up their beef.