Targeting Lawrence

12+88=7

Reaction score
Dallas goes "all in" for the 2021 draft.

Dallas puts the non exclusive tag on Prescott to net two #1 picks.

Dalton signs in free agency for between 15 to 20 million netting Dallas a 3rd or 4th round pick in 2022.

Dallas then traded the two #1's for Prescott and their #1 in 2021for three total #1's, plus the 2020 compensatory picks 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 7th, plus the 3rd or 4th in 2022 for Dalton.

That's 8 total draft picks, a lot of draft capital to move up. And Dallas still has all of their original draft selections.

What do you think? Could it work?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Dalton signs in free agency for between 15 to 20 million netting Dallas a 3rd or 4th round pick in 2022.

Dallas then traded the two #1's for Prescott and their #1 in 2021for three total #1's, plus the 2020 compensatory picks 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 7th, plus the 3rd or 4th in 2022 for Dalton.

That's 8 total draft picks, a lot of draft capital to move up. And Dallas still has all of their original draft selections.

Could what work? That's not a plan. Who is going to play QB?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Only if there is a team with high enough draft capitol in the first round and is willing to trade it for Dak. I doubt that team is out there to be honest but if there is one, then yes it could work but it shouldn't take that amount of capitol to get it done IMO.

We may not need to draft a QB with the first pick of the draft.

The value of the concept, IMO, is to show once and for all what Dak's value actually is. I would hope that if we made Dak available for trade, no team would step up to pay the contract demands and the draft price. In that situation, I think it resets the perception and maybe you get to a point where you can actually have productive contract talks.

JMO

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Doubtful because I doubt a team will give up 2 1st round picks and make a large contract commitment for Dak.

That's not a knock on Dak - I don't think many teams would give up that much for any QB save maybe Mahomes or Wilson (not even Rodgers/Brees/Brady because of their age).

Remember, there are only a small handful of teams really looking for a new QB every offseason, and most of those are trying to build and need those draft picks for that purpose.

John813

Reaction score
Just like last year, there are worse teams that will tank for a high draft pick. Dolphins, Bengals and others really didn't "try" at the FO level last year.

The Cowboys as they stand, is at worst a .500 team. If Dak sucks this year, no one will claim him with the tag. If Dalton sucks he won't get a big contract/comp pick. And if Dalton starts for Dak, outside of injury, Daks value will take a big hit.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Is that what you dream about at night? :muttley:

How does the dream end? With Trevor winning rookie of the year and the Cowboys going something like 13-3?
I feel like a QB has done that before. Where have I seen it? Can you state his name for the board I think some need to hear it lol

12+88=7

Reaction score
So this plan is contingent on getting 2 1st rounders for Dak? Hell if he's that good why not keep him lol? This is silly lol. Dak isn't getting you 2 1st rounders lol. I'm a fan of his but I'm not a damn fool.

Because at this point you have invested 5 years in the player and McCarthy has a chance to pick his guy.

If Prescott hits the market he will be the top free agent. It's not that far fetched that he would get signed at the right price in a bidding war. There are many starting spots that will open in 2021.

You wouldn't have traded up for Trubisky, but Chicago did. There is always the possibility, you just have to present the opportunity. You just need one.

Sydla

Reaction score
Is that what you dream about at night? :muttley:

How does the dream end? With Trevor winning rookie of the year and the Cowboys going something like 13-3?

Just answering your question. You asked who would play QB. The thread title says "Targeting Lawrence".

You don't need a degree in quantum mechanics to understand his point. My guess, you thought he was talking about DeMarcus Lawrence and got confused.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Just answering your question. You asked who would play QB. The thread title says "Targeting Lawrence".

You don't need a degree in quantum mechanics to understand his point. My guess, you thought he was talking about DeMarcus Lawrence and got confused.

Yes, that went over my head.

However I don't see that as a viable plan. So break up the current team and contending window we currently have over the next 2-4 years so that we can roll the dice and hope that Lawrence can become a top 10 QB? Long shot. And even if he does, how many years will it take him to develop? By the time he does all our young core will be past their primes.

Sounds like a losing plan to me. Sounds like something you do in a few years if DAk cant be resigned.

Sydla

Reaction score
Yes, that went over my head.

However I don't see that as a viable plan. So break up the current team and contending window we currently have over the next 2-4 years so that we can roll the dice and hope that Lawrence can become a top 10 QB? Long shot. And even if he does, how many years will it take him to develop? By the time he does all our young core will be past their primes.

Sounds like a losing plan to me. Sounds like something you do in a few years if DAk cant be resigned.

My guess is he's coming from a position where it becomes clear resigning Dak is going to be tough, which isn't that outrageous a thought.

Granted, I have a hard time seeing a long list of teams will to give Dak what he wants in terms of money when Dallas wont AND then give up two first round picks.

12+88=7

Reaction score
Trevor looked like trash against LSU. I don't get why all the hype.

He started as a freshman and that's the only loss in his career(29-1) Plus he has won a national championship. But let's just concentrate on the one loss.

If there is a season, Clemson should be in the title hunt again.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
My guess is he's coming from a position where it becomes clear resigning Dak is going to be tough, which isn't that outrageous a thought.

Granted, I have a hard time seeing a long list of teams will to give Dak what he wants in terms of money when Dallas wont AND then give up two first round picks.

I disagree. You put Dak out for two first rounders and someone definitely bites. Teams go 15 years without finding a QB like Dak.

Dallas was more than willing to give DAk the money he wanted. They just wanted it for more years.

But...……..if they cant get Dak signed in the offseason then trading him has to be a priority.