Targeting Lawrence

DFWJC

Reaction score
I have zero interest in this guy being QB for the Cowboys. Y'all want him, you can have him. That would be the last straw, but it's not going happen.

EOlwU6XUEAAP9cC.jpg
I'm not supporting this thread either but......

Lawrence has off-the-charts intangibles, is an amazing teammate by all accounts, extremely coachable, the best pure talent prospect (coming in) since Luck---big, strong, fast, huge arm, usually extremely accurate and smart....just flat out gifted.

And before the Luck, the last prospect like this (but not as physically gifted) was Payton....or maybe Elway.

I know some don't like athletes that are outwardly Christian, but he's not really anyone's face about it. His teammates love him.

Sure, he was off vs LSU (release point was odd and throws were high all night) but he usually plays huge in those types of games. See Bama and others as examples.

So......The guy has long hair so you don't want him
So much that you'd even quit being a Cowboy fan.

:lmao::lmao2:

Last edited:

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Wow, talk about delusional. "The marriage of Prescott and Dallas is strong". Now that's fantasy.

Do you know what happens when a marriage proposal is turned down? The couple breakup. That's what's going to happen in 2021.

YOU, YOU, are so emotionally invested that you' re denying anything that doesn't have Prescott signed to a long term deal.

I know the chances of Dallas drafting Lawrence are slim and none, and slim left town. I just wanted to create a thread where Dallas went all in on the idea. It wasn't something rooted in reality.
LOL, "That's what's going to happen in 2021." As if you have a crystal ball that reveals future events to you. You know nothing of te future.

12+88=7

Reaction score
LOL, "That's what's going to happen in 2021." As if you have a crystal ball that reveals future events to you. You know nothing of te future.

I don't know the future, but I can take an educated guess.

Same thing I said about Prescott not getting signed. Even though the team was saying all the right things, it was their actions, or in this case inactions that spoke loudest. By watching this for close to two years I predict that no deal would happen. I was right.

And if you extrapolate that further, the not reaching a deal has created a discord. Neither side is saying it, but it is there. It's this discord that will result in nothing getting done and Dallas tagging Prescott again, this time with the non exclusive tag.

The only way Prescott gets signed is if Dallas wins the Super Bowl.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I don't know the future, but I can take an educated guess.

Same thing I said about Prescott not getting signed. Even though the team was saying all the right things, it was their actions, or in this case inactions that spoke loudest. By watching this for close to two years I predict that no deal would happen. I was right.

And if you extrapolate that further, the not reaching a deal has created a discord. Neither side is saying it, but it is there. It's this discord that will result in nothing getting done and Dallas tagging Prescott again, this time with the non exclusive tag.

The only way Prescott gets signed is if Dallas wins the Super Bowl.
Sounds like a self-fulfilling prophecy to me... Dallas wins the Super Bowl!

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Meanwhile, our QB was getting beat down by a couple of 150 lbs string beans on spring break.

I couldn't care less. I have zero interest in Trevor Lawrence.

This discussion is pointless anyway. He's not going to be drafted by Dallas.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dallas goes "all in" for the 2021 draft.

Dallas puts the non exclusive tag on Prescott to net two #1 picks.

Dalton signs in free agency for between 15 to 20 million netting Dallas a 3rd or 4th round pick in 2022.

Dallas then traded the two #1's for Prescott and their #1 in 2021for three total #1's, plus the 2020 compensatory picks 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 7th, plus the 3rd or 4th in 2022 for Dalton.

That's 8 total draft picks, a lot of draft capital to move up. And Dallas still has all of their original draft selections.

What do you think? Could it work?

Non-exclusive Tag means the max compensation is two 1st round picks.

With the exclusive Tag they could potentially get more than two 1st round picks...

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Non-exclusive Tag means the max compensation is two 1st round picks.

With the exclusive Tag they could potentially get more than two 1st round picks...

While technically true, it's never happened and it's not really the difference between the two.

The Exclusive Tag means teams can't sign exclusive players to offer sheets. That doesn't necessarily mean someone can't be traded, the player just can't leave by signing an offer sheet and his new team sending back two first-round picks. No one can negotiate with him except the team that tagged him.

With the Non-Exclusive Tag, another team can sign a franchise player to an offer sheet and the original team has a chance to match it. If the original team doesn't match the offer, the new team must give up two first-round picks as compensation in order to steal the franchise player away. Any team can negotiate with and sign him.

Other differences:
The Non-Exclusive Tag is calculated by adding the franchise tag cost together from the five previous seasons and dividing it by the sum of the salary caps from the five previous seasons to get a percentage-of-cap number that is then multiplied by that year's cap.

The Exclusive Tag number is determined by the average of the five highest-paid players at the position, based on the upcoming season.

The Non-Exclusive Tag would have cost $26,895,000 in cap room.

The Exclusive Tag cost the Cowboys $31,409,000 in cap room.

Personally, I think Jerry and Stephen saw ghosts and misjudged the market for Dak and that Exclusive designation cost them an additional $4.5M in cap room. While some teams might jump at Dak in a completely open market, I just don't see which teams would have been willing to sign Dak to the $34 -$35M APY he wanted AND fork over two first round picks. Even if I'm wrong and they did, the Cowboys would have had the choice of matching it, thus signing Dak to a long-term deal, or getting two first round picks. The way they played it, the Cowboys get to do this dance all over again next off-season, with Dak having even more leverage (approx. $38M 2nd year Franchise Tag) while dealing with a flattening 2021 cap. They potentially could lose him for nothing more than a 2022 3rd round compensatory pick. I think they completely misplayed this, especially since they paid Zeke and Jayon 2 years earlier than they had to. The focus should have been on Dak early and they had options (Zeke - 5th year option, Jaylon - restricted free agent tender) to utilize with those players. I think they just expected Dak to fold and give them a discount.

Time will tell.

Johnny23

Reaction score
Honestly I think Gardner Minshew is going to have a solid season for Jacksonville but they're going to lose a lot and someone will trade for him. Allowing the Jags to take Lawrence number one overall.

kskboys

Reaction score
We'd have to trade off everyone and tank to get Lawrence. Is that what the OP is proposing? Because that's the only way it would happen.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Doubtful because I doubt a team will give up 2 1st round picks and make a large contract commitment for Dak.

That's not a knock on Dak - I don't think many teams would give up that much for any QB save maybe Mahomes or Wilson (not even Rodgers/Brees/Brady because of their age).

Remember, there are only a small handful of teams really looking for a new QB every offseason, and most of those are trying to build and need those draft picks for that purpose.
Any smart GM has seen enough of Dak to know he’s not a winner. Lawrence is.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
You guys know Jerry is going to pay him, right? It doesn't matter what any of us think about it.

...and overcame a 15 point deficit in the last 8 minutes. Trevor Barbie Lawrence isn't coming to Dallas.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Any smart GM has seen enough of Dak to know he’s not a winner. Lawrence is.
Any GM knows that being a winner in college doesn’t automatically make a QB a winner in the NFL. They also know not winning it all in the first 4 years In the NFL doesn’t make a QB a loser.

kskboys

Reaction score
Any GM knows that being a winner in college doesn’t automatically make a QB a winner in the NFL. They also know not winning it all in the first 4 years In the NFL doesn’t make a QB a loser.
Tebow was a winner. They were busy declaring it every time I turned on to a sports station.

kskboys

Reaction score
Vince Young, Matt Leinhart, Ryan Leaf.

Kellen Moore. Lol.
Top 4 winningest college QB's of all time:

Kellen Moore
Colt McCoy
Andy Dalton
David Greene(Whoever that is!!!)

Trying to assess a player by calling him a "winner" might be the dumbest assessment I've ever heard.