Targeting Lawrence

Reaction score
Dallas goes "all in" for the 2021 draft.

Dallas puts the non exclusive tag on Prescott to net two #1 picks.

Dalton signs in free agency for between 15 to 20 million netting Dallas a 3rd or 4th round pick in 2022.

Dallas then traded the two #1's for Prescott and their #1 in 2021for three total #1's, plus the 2020 compensatory picks 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 7th, plus the 3rd or 4th in 2022 for Dalton.

That's 8 total draft picks, a lot of draft capital to move up. And Dallas still has all of their original draft selections.

What do you think? Could it work?
If Prescott is as useless as many around here claim, how are you getting 2 #1's for him?

Reading posts around here he isn't worth a conditional 7th.

12+88=7

Reaction score
If Prescott is as useless as many around here claim, how are you getting 2 #1's for him?

The posters here are not NFL GMs.

Chicago, New England, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Las Vegas, and many others will be looking for QBs.

There is opportunity.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

So you think Dak is worth two #1 picks but we're better off trading up for a rookie? :huh:

That scenario is never going to happen but the reasoning still cracks me up.

Chicago, New England, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Las Vegas, and many others will be looking for QBs.

There is opportunity.

Wouldn't those teams be better off using their two #1 picks to get Lawrence rather than trading for Dak?

Ol' Jerry is gonna outsmart that moron up in New England. Okay. :muttley:

aikemirv

Reaction score

Dalton signs in free agency for between 15 to 20 million netting Dallas a 3rd or 4th round pick in 2022.

Dallas then traded the two #1's for Prescott and their #1 in 2021for three total #1's, plus the 2020 compensatory picks 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 7th, plus the 3rd or 4th in 2022 for Dalton.

That's 8 total draft picks, a lot of draft capital to move up. And Dallas still has all of their original draft selections.

I would do it, I just don't think there are teams out there that value him as much as the Joneses do.

The Joneses valued him so much that they did not leave that as an option.

The question is whether there is someone out there as stupid as Jerry and Stephen that would give up 2 numbers 1's and pay him big bucks. Jerry and Syephen have already proven they will!

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Because at this point you have invested 5 years in the player and McCarthy has a chance to pick his guy.

If Prescott hits the market he will be the top free agent. It's not that far fetched that he would get signed at the right price in a bidding war. There are many starting spots that will open in 2021.

You wouldn't have traded up for Trubisky, but Chicago did. There is always the possibility, you just have to present the opportunity. You just need one.
Why would anyone trade 2 1st rounders for a guy that's about to be a free agent?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I disagree. You put Dak out for two first rounders and someone definitely bites. Teams go 15 years without finding a QB like Dak.

Dallas was more than willing to give DAk the money he wanted. They just wanted it for more years.

But...……..if they cant get Dak signed in the offseason then trading him has to be a priority.
If someone offers 2 1st rounders it must be for something late. Someone that plans on being good with Dak.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Only if there is a team with high enough draft capitol in the first round and is willing to trade it for Dak. I doubt that team is out there to be honest but if there is one, then yes it could work but it shouldn't take that amount of capitol to get it done IMO.

We may not need to draft a QB with the first pick of the draft.

The value of the concept, IMO, is to show once and for all what Dak's value actually is. I would hope that if we made Dak available for trade, no team would step up to pay the contract demands and the draft price. In that situation, I think it resets the perception and maybe you get to a point where you can actually have productive contract talks.

JMO
I dont think the team would trade him. But you have to believe he's going to improve with the coaches alone. The weapons, i think Dak is going to blow up this yr. That and they've actually improved the defense alot. I think this is a legit Superbowl yr. If that happens i think you would probably see Dak get a deal bigger than mahomes.

ghst187

Reaction score
Sounds great, sadly no other team would dream of taking that deal

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score

I really wish we used the non-exclusive tag this year to either set the market price or get the picks.

Johnny23

Reaction score
So you think Dak is worth two #1 picks but we're better off trading up for a rookie? :huh:

Wouldn't those teams be better off using their two #1 picks to get Lawrence rather than trading for Dak?

The Eagles got a first round pick for Sam Bradford. Fans value picks more than actual NFL teams do.

Beaker42

Reaction score

No way Dalton gets that kind of money unless he leads the Cowboys to the SB.

Beaker42

Reaction score

Trevor is a winner - Dak ain’t.

12+88=7

Reaction score
No way Dalton gets that kind of money unless he leads the Cowboys to the SB.

New Orleans got a 3rd round comp pick when Bridgewater signed for 21 million a year.

The only reason Dallas got Dalton so cheap was because Cincinnati released him after free agency and the draft had been completed. If Dalton is available day 1 of free agency, he will easily get 15 to 20 million a year. And Dallas will be rewarded with a 3rd or 4th round comp pick in 2022.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Trevor looked like trash against LSU. I don't get why all the hype.
of course because one game where he wasn't that bad against possibly the greatest college football team ever, defines his total career.

Bigdog

Reaction score
Who in their right mind would trade 2 # 1s for Dak and then pay him what he wants for 4 years? Why not just draft Lawrence and have a cheap rookie contract for 5 years. Don’t get me wrong I would love to get Lawrence and unless we draft number 1 overall we are not going to get him. If we trade our next 1s for the next 3 year maybe but this is not the movie Draft Day.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Who in their right mind would trade 2 # 1s for Dak and then pay him what he wants for 4 years? Why not just draft Lawrence and have a cheap rookie contract for 5 years. Don’t get me wrong I would love to get Lawrence and unless we draft number 1 overall we are not going to get him. If we trade our next 1s for the next 3 year maybe but this is not the movie Draft Day.
Yeah, besides the nonstop excuses that fans here make for Jerry Jones, the board's collective misinterpretation of trade value is awful here.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
i go get Trey Lance 6-2 225

Really, really like him. Great size, good athletic ability.

I want to see him throw more (287 attempts last year, only 10 passing attempts in the FCS National Championship game. Trevor Lawrence - 407, Justin Fields - 354). Carson Wentz threw it 358 times in 2014.

I also want to see him against tougher competition. No offense to FCS schools, but Lance just did whatever he wanted whenever he wanted against that LOC.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
If I was advising Lance, I'd suggest he graduate this Fall if he can (he's a redshirt sophomore) and transfer to a Power 5 school for 2021 season.IMO, he'd be the top pick in 2022, versus a top 20 pick (and likely 3rd QB drafted) in 2021.

LSU, Florida, Ohio State would all be perfect situations for Lance. He could even go home to Minnesota and play for PJ Fleck and that rising program.