Targeting Lawrence

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
With the covid situation, it's not as sure as before, but for those who want Dak gone, why not see what happens this year with a true SB winning coach?

Dak is signed for this year, he ain't going anywhere until 2021, if then.

Let's just sit back and see what happens this year before we continue down the "we want Lawrence" path...

kskboys

Reaction score
Dallas goes "all in" for the 2021 draft.

Dallas puts the non exclusive tag on Prescott to net two #1 picks.

Dalton signs in free agency for between 15 to 20 million netting Dallas a 3rd or 4th round pick in 2022.

Dallas then traded the two #1's for Prescott and their #1 in 2021for three total #1's, plus the 2020 compensatory picks 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 7th, plus the 3rd or 4th in 2022 for Dalton.

That's 8 total draft picks, a lot of draft capital to move up. And Dallas still has all of their original draft selections.

What do you think? Could it work?
Not enough.

It's going to take much more than that. Take JAX. They could easily have the worst record, I'm thinking they will. They need a QB. No, fan fave Minschew is not it. Sooooooooo, the best QB prospect like evereverever comes out. It would take much more than 3 mid 1sts and whatever else is in the goody bag. And then, Dalton is a backup. No comp picks for backups. And, unless Dak blows it up, the two 1sts most likely won't happen.

Whomever wins the Lawrence sweepstakes is not going to give it up.

kskboys

Reaction score
My guess is he's coming from a position where it becomes clear resigning Dak is going to be tough, which isn't that outrageous a thought.

Granted, I have a hard time seeing a long list of teams will to give Dak what he wants in terms of money when Dallas wont AND then give up two first round picks.
Dak has definitely taken a perception hit around the NFL. Teams are mostly aware that paying one player too much keeps you from the super bowl.

Only chance would be if Dak fires this sabateur of an agent.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Trevor looked like trash against LSU. I don't get why all the hype.
Bad game for sure. His footwork was off for some reason and many of his passes were high.
Highly unusual for him.
He's normally pretty amazing—including vs Alabama

12+88=7

Reaction score
Not enough.

It's going to take much more than that. Take JAX. They could easily have the worst record, I'm thinking they will. They need a QB. No, fan fave Minschew is not it. Sooooooooo, the best QB prospect like evereverever comes out. It would take much more than 3 mid 1sts and whatever else is in the goody bag. And then, Dalton is a backup. No comp picks for backups. And, unless Dak blows it up, the two 1sts most likely won't happen.

Whomever wins the Lawrence sweepstakes is not going to give it up.

Dalton is a backup this year. When free agency begins next year he will be signed as a starter, and paid like one. As I cited, Bridgewater signed for 21 million a year and got NO a 3rd round comp pick. And he was a backup last year.

Is it realistically going to happen, extreme long shot, probably not. But in this scenario wouldn't you feel good as a fan if the team tried something outside the box and went for the home run. Even if it fails, try.

Cowboy06

Professional Positive Naysayer
Reaction score
No, just no. No no no no...not yes...nope naw naw naw.... huh?

12+88=7

Reaction score
Jamal Adams goes for a player, two first, and a 4th. Plus his new deal will make him the highest paid safety in NFL.

There is always a team out there. You only need one.

You won't know until you try.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Trevor wasn't even the best QB in the ACC last season
Go TarHeels

To be fair. Lawrence sat out the 4th quarter in a bunch of games. His stats would be way higher than they were.

But Sam Howell was fabulous. UNC is on the rise!

Howell
QB rating. 158.9
Passing Yards....3347
TDs....35
Ints...7
YPA...8.6
Comp %...60.3

Lawrence
QB rating ...176.4
Passing Yards....3172
TDs....34
Ints...8
YPA...9.4
Comp %...68.8

Last edited:

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Go TarHeels

To be fair. Lawrence sat out the 4th quarter in a bunch of games. His stats would be way higher than they were.

But Sam Howell was fabulous. UNC is on the rise!

Howell
QB rating. 158.9
Passing Yards....3347
TDs....35
Ints...7
YPA...8.6
Comp %...60.3

Lawrence
QB rating ...176.4
Passing Yards....3172
TDs....34
Ints...8
YPA...9.4
Comp %...68.8
You also have to look at the talent of both teams. Lawrence has benefited from top talent on the entire roster. That being said, Mack is bringing in top talent and within 4 years he will bring a championship to Carolina.

Hardline

Reaction score
It's going to take the worse record in the NFL to get Lawrence.
I would even take Justin Fields if he fell to us.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
It’s great to fantasize about Lawrence but after the bounty the Jets got for Adams I am starting to think the only way you get Lawrence is three first round picks at minimum. You would also have to be lucky and hope a team like the Jets love Darnold enough that if they get the first pick they will trade it. I would trade Darnold personally.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Lawrence plays for a loaded college team, one that has been built for the last couple of years to compete for the national championship.

So yeah, he looks great. But how many Alabama quarterbacks won it all, then were nothing in the NFL? As well as the Linearts, etc. for other teams?

Don't be too enthralled with some hotshot college qb.
Good thing is, we have Burrow to look at this year, stat wise one of the, if not the best, college qbs ever. Let's see how he does against NFL defenses before we go all in on Lawrence...

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I have zero interest in this guy being QB for the Cowboys. Y'all want him, you can have him. That would be the last straw, but it's not going happen.

EOlwU6XUEAAP9cC.jpg

Croomraider

Reaction score
I don't think in the history of the nfl a team has gone after a non-exclusive for 2 firsts. I could be wrong but I don't remember it happening. Obviously there's been a myriad of awful trades, including Dallas, coughing up two firsts but don't think I've seen the non-exclusive one happen.

This would be the scenario though, a franchise QB that has a falling out with the new coach. A team would definitely give up 2 firsts for Dak if he has a 5,000 yard season but then again, why wouldn't we sign him if his production is like that.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Because at this point you have invested 5 years in the player and McCarthy has a chance to pick his guy.

If Prescott hits the market he will be the top free agent. It's not that far fetched that he would get signed at the right price in a bidding war. There are many starting spots that will open in 2021.

You wouldn't have traded up for Trubisky, but Chicago did. There is always the possibility, you just have to present the opportunity. You just need one.
LOL, McCarthy already picked "his guy". His name is Dak Prescott. The reality of this is so much better than your fantasy. Live in the real!!!

12+88=7

Reaction score
LOL, McCarthy already picked "his guy". His name is Dak Prescott. The reality of this is so much better than your fantasy. Live in the real!!!

If this was the case Dallas would have signed Prescott. Fact, reality. But they didn't because the front office is not 100% in, and this includes McCarthy.

You need to come to the reality that this is probably Prescott's last year with Dallas and there needs to plan for the next QB. This is when McCarthy will pick "his guy".

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
If this was the case Dallas would have signed Prescott. Fact, reality. But they didn't because the front office is not 100% in, and this includes McCarthy.

You need to come to the reality that this is probably Prescott's last year with Dallas and there needs to plan for the next QB. This is when McCarthy will pick "his guy".
LOL you are so deep seeded in your fantasy. The process to get Dak to sign a long term deal continues. Negotiations have paused to play ball but they will resume in 2021. The marriage of Dak and the Cowboys is strong.

12+88=7

Reaction score
LOL you are so deep seeded in your fantasy. The process to get Dak to sign a long term deal continues. Negotiations have paused to play ball but they will resume in 2021. The marriage of Dak and the Cowboys is strong.

Wow, talk about delusional. "The marriage of Prescott and Dallas is strong". Now that's fantasy.

Do you know what happens when a marriage proposal is turned down? The couple breakup. That's what's going to happen in 2021.

YOU, YOU, are so emotionally invested that you' re denying anything that doesn't have Prescott signed to a long term deal.

I know the chances of Dallas drafting Lawrence are slim and none, and slim left town. I just wanted to create a thread where Dallas went all in on the idea. It wasn't something rooted in reality.