Tavon Austin is Ridiculous

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
AdamJT13 says take out 1 fumble on a reception. His fumble rate on receptions is then:
Austin: 1.54%
Dez: 1.51%

Not taking out 1 fumble to pad your stats and not going to compare austin vs dez career. Like i said, austin as a dunbar type back is fine but austin as a receiver is uninspiring.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not taking out 1 fumble to pad your stats and not going to compare austin vs dez career. Like i said, austin as a dunbar type back is fine but austin as a receiver is uninspiring.
I don't care what you do.

I attended a presentation by a professor that has been at Harvard/Stanford/MIT about Internet group-think. One of the big issues is how weak-minded people immediately adopt narratives based on reports even when the reports are false or misleading.

The real kicker is that those people cling to that narrative even after evidence is presented that disproves it.

They even did research where someone could narrate some over a video that did not match what was actually on the video. People would still adopt the narrative based on the voice and not what they could actually see with their own eyes if they bothered to actually watch.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I don't care what you do.

I attended a presentation by a professor that has been at Harvard/Stanford/MIT about Internet group-think. One of the big issues is how weak-minded people immediately adopt narratives based on reports even when the reports are false or misleading.

The real kicker is that those people cling to that narrative even after evidence is presented that disproves it.

They even did research where someone could narrate some over a video that did not match what was actually on the video. People would still adopt the narrative based on the voice and not what they could actually see with their own eyes if they bothered to actually watch.

That is exactly what I have been saying, your narrative that austin is an effective player in the passing game doesn't match the tape or stats at all. Thanks for making my point guess you need to re educate yourself.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Austin has always had talent. When he was at WV, he made some ridiculous plays but his problem was that he would lay the ball on the turf to much. He still has both of those abilities. The real question is, will this team take advantage of his skills and put him in situations that take advantage of it without compromising our strengths, which are Zeke Power Football, or will we forget about him like do some many other players?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That is exactly what I have been saying, your narrative that austin is an effective player in the passing game doesn't match the tape or stats at all. Thanks for making my point guess you need to re educate yourself.

No, you've been saying that he fumbles too much.

You and other people would never have had any idea about his fumbles on offense if he had never been used as a punt returner.

His PR fumble rate is horrible.

His fumble rate on offense is better than Dez.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
The reason he was saying to take one fumble out was because it wasn't a fumble. A bad call where the ball still went out of bounds so it was never challenged.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
As athletic as our OL is getting to the edges I can see Tavon getting a 2 or 3 game balls this season.

Dre11

Reaction score
No my man ignorance is having all the evidence at hand and still believe you know better, lol. I don’t know about you but I’ve never seen a change of scenery make a cat become a dog. There’s nothing even average about Tavon Austin’s career. We’ve gotten more production out of Corey Clement a UDFA And he will be more productive this year as well.

Then you haven’t watched enough football. We’ve had two here ourselves, Laurent Robinson and Marc Colombo. Carlos Rodgers a dud in Washington went to San Fran and became productive, Martellus a dud with us went on to other teams to be productive, Danny Amedola. Should I go on....lol

HungryLion

Reaction score
Then you haven’t watched enough football. We’ve had two here ourselves, Laurent Robinson and Marc Colombo. Carlos Rodgers a dud in Washington went to San Fran and became productive, Martellus a dud with us went on to other teams to be productive, Danny Amedola. Should I go on....lol

Scheme matters when it comes to getting the best out of players. Some players can excel no matter the scheme. Most need things designed around their abilities to maximize potential.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Charles Haley
Jay Novacek

To a lesser extent:
Terrell McClain

There have been many over the years both coming to the Cowboys as well as departing from the Cowboys.

No my man ignorance is having all the evidence at hand and still believe you know better, lol. I don’t know about you but I’ve never seen a change of scenery make a cat become a dog. There’s nothing even average about Tavon Austin’s career. We’ve gotten more production out of Corey Clement a UDFA And he will be more productive this year as well.

817Gill

Reaction score
He was so great the Rams were like we have to phase him out of this offense to keep things fair.
Actually, Tavon has shown the ability to be a pro-bowl caliber player in this league. In 2015 he posted 52 receptions for 473 receiving yards five touchdowns. He added 52 carried for 434 yards and four touchdowns. He also had 2 punt return touchdowns and became the first player to score at least five receiving touchdowns, four rushing touchdowns, and a punt return touchdown in a single season since Gale Sayers. He did all this is the putrid Jeff Fisher "middle-school" offense. Say what you want about ours, but it isn't Jeff Fisher bad.

Last year was his only season under Sean McVay. McVay publicly stated his desire to use Tavon a lot as he could be very creative with him. Unfortunately, a wrist injury kept him sidelined to begin the season and by the time he returned healthy the Rams had already entrenched roles for their weapons and were the leagues best offense. They weren't going to just toss him in just because he's Tavon, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Les Snead the GM talked about this in an article:

http://www.therams.com/news-and-eve...in-Trade/53444d35-ad2f-4157-9740-6b09125cabdf

If Linehan really has a plan for him and uses it, Tavon can and will be effective. He is simply too good of an athlete to be ineffective if put in the right position. The worry is if he will be used right, not whether he can do it.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wow that cat is fast. Not sure what his .40 time is/was but his game speed is unreal.

His forty was 4.34 which is not in that freak sub 4.3 category; however, his on-field speed is right up there with some of the fastest players I've ever seen.

Scandrick ran a 4.32 but there is no chance he was was ever close to Austin with regards to on-field speed.

As I said in the OP, I don't know if he'll be a good player for the Cowboys but he definitely has a lot of talent.

mcmvp

Reaction score
No, you've been saying that he fumbles too much.

You and other people would never have had any idea about his fumbles on offense if he had never been used as a punt returner.

His PR fumble rate is horrible.

His fumble rate on offense is better than Dez.

I’m sorry but ball security is ball security. I don’t care if you’re catching a punt, a pass, or taking a handoff. Once you have the ball, hang on to it.

This exercise of separating his fumbles based on when they happened is an extreme example of trying to put lipstick on a pig.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m sorry but ball security is ball security. I don’t care if you’re catching a punt, a pass, or taking a handoff. Once you have the ball, hang on to it.

This exercise of separating his fumbles based on when they happened is an extreme example of trying to put lipstick on a pig.

No, if you read my post where I quote AdamJT13, you'll see that Austin has not fumbled much when he actually had the ball in his possession.

He never had a clean possession of the ball on 13 of the 17 Punt Return fumbles.

They got him because the OC Linehan wanted him. They didn't trade for him as a Punt Returner.

From AdamJT13
He has never actually fumbled on 182 career rushes or 24 career kickoff returns. The one "fumble" he is credited with on a rushing play was not a fumble -- his knee was clearly down, and the ball went out of bounds. Since there was no turnover and no reason to challenge it, the "fumble" was never reviewed.

Also, he has three actual fumbles on receptions. His fourth "fumble" on a reception was actually an attempted lateral pass on one of those last-second plays when the losing team is throwing the ball around hoping for a miracle. Austin's lateral was recovered by the opponent.

On his 222 fielded punts, he has muffed 13 of them (four of which resulted in a turnover). He has fumbled four times during a punt return, but none of them resulted in a turnover.

So his problem, clearly, has been only muffed punts. Once he has the ball in his hands, he is no more likely to fumble than the majority of other players.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Actually, Tavon has shown the ability to be a pro-bowl caliber player in this league. In 2015 he posted 52 receptions for 473 receiving yards five touchdowns. He added 52 carried for 434 yards and four touchdowns. He also had 2 punt return touchdowns and became the first player to score at least five receiving touchdowns, four rushing touchdowns, and a punt return touchdown in a single season since Gale Sayers. He did all this is the putrid Jeff Fisher "middle-school" offense. Say what you want about ours, but it isn't Jeff Fisher bad.

Last year was his only season under Sean McVay. McVay publicly stated his desire to use Tavon a lot as he could be very creative with him. Unfortunately, a wrist injury kept him sidelined to begin the season and by the time he returned healthy the Rams had already entrenched roles for their weapons and were the leagues best offense. They weren't going to just toss him in just because he's Tavon, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Les Snead the GM talked about this in an article:

http://www.therams.com/news-and-eve...in-Trade/53444d35-ad2f-4157-9740-6b09125cabdf

If Linehan really has a plan for him and uses it, Tavon can and will be effective. He is simply too good of an athlete to be ineffective if put in the right position. The worry is if he will be used right, not whether he can do it.
It's about managing expectations. In those talks with Snead and McVay, they spent more time saying what a great "human being" he is than what a great player he is. That's akin for hearing your blind date has a great personality. By all accounts, he's a great teammate and locker room guy, so that's a plus. I'm fine with the risk for a 6th rd pick, but you have to remember he was traded for a 6th rd pick for a reason. If you're expecting him to be a Pro-Bowl level player, you'll probably be disappointed, but he should at least outplay his 6th rd pick cost, again it's about managing expectations.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Some haven't figured out what reading retention is for...lol:)
Retention? More like comprehension...
Or more accurately - how to peer through the veil of thine own bias.

Not talking about you, of course.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
Against Oklahoma Austin generated 572 all-purpose yards as he rushed for 344 yards and two touchdowns, caught four passes for 82 yards and gained 146 yards on eight kick returns.