Team sees Mukuama as Safety

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Listening to the Day 3 press conference Stephen just mentioned the team envisions starting Israel Mukuama out at safety. They believe he has the size (mentioned weight) and balls skills to play in that role.

Outside of Parsons, Mukuama may be my favorite pick on defense this draft class. That said, I'm not sure he has the sideline-to-sideline speed to play single high safety. I think he has a role in certain coverage units playing press man or in the red zone. We'll see. He's intriguing.

When you watch his cutups you see his lengthy clearly playing a role in creating turnovers. Too tired now, but will cutup some gifs later.

Good! I'm glad to hear we have our safety. He definitely looks the part to me to play FS from what I see. I'm excited!

cowboyec

Reaction score
he played a season at that spot.
love his size obviously and his physicality.
i hope it works...if not we know he can do the job at corner.

lonestar2288

Reaction score
IM didn't run at his pro day due to a hammy is what South Carolina's Pro Day report says. Did vert(36.5), broad(9'11) and bench(13) with position drills

cheyennes

Reaction score
Great, we have our anual six round seafty, some UDFA looked better , Michigan TED, Iowa wr, Miss wr Vasher.

Can Wright make the practice squad team?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Seriously. When was the last successful conversion Dallas had?

Safety especially FS is a lot of instincts and early diagnosis of plays.
Zack Martin's conversion from OT to G was very successful. Next question.

btcutter

Reaction score
Zack Martin's conversion from OT to G was very successful. Next question.

Seriously? That’s your best come back? Please.
OL play and secondary play are significantly different. This team has been trying CB to S conversion for over a decade...maybe 20 years. Last successful conversion was Woodie. It’s about time to wake up and stop buying lottery tickets.

kskboys

Reaction score
OL play and secondary play are significantly different. This team has been trying CB to S conversion for over a decade...maybe 20 years. Last successful conversion was Woodie. It’s about time to wake up and stop buying lottery tickets.
He played some S in college. Not a transition.

This cat lacks the physical skillset to play CB in the NFL.

lonestar2288

Reaction score
Was predominantly an OLB at ASU. Lovie Smith was the LB coach then. I don't recall him ever lining up as a S there, but that's a looong time ago

btcutter

Reaction score
Hang on a minute! D Woodson was a LB? Cox is a coverage LB that could play safety!

Yes. I thought about it too. He would be a strong safety. But at the minimum you know you got a pretty good third down LB or a spy when you play against very mobile QB.

btcutter

Reaction score
I like Brugler's work...I think he's great at what he does but I'd put my faith in a team of scouts as opposed to just Brugler by himself...

it’s the FO that I really lack faith in.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Yes. I thought about it too. He would be a strong safety. But at the minimum you know you got a pretty good third down LB or a spy when you play against very mobile QB.

Well, let me go one step further. Just thinking outside the box here. What if we moved Donovan Wilson to FS and Cox to SS? Cox, being a LB by trade in college, would be capable of delivering very hard hits. So, he'd be able to scare the hell out of WRs that dare try to cross his path. Wilson's good at interceptions. Cox can intercept as well, but he's a very hard hitter. I think that could work!

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
You use the word. "seriously" far too much. We are having a conversation here not swapping jokes. I'm pretty sure we are all being serious. My reply was no "come back". You asked a question so I answered it. There is no doubt there is a difference between OL and the defensive secondary, congrats on stating the obvious. What's up with all the smart-arse comments from you? Can we just talk without your attitude?

btcutter

Reaction score
You use the word. "seriously" far too much. We are having a conversation here not swapping jokes. I'm pretty sure we are all being serious. My reply was no "come back". You asked a question so I answered it. There is no doubt there is a difference between OL and the defensive secondary, congrats on stating the obvious. What's up with all the smart-arse comments from you? Can we just talk without your attitude?
Just frustration. It’s all good.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Just frustration. It’s all good.
You make a good point. The Cowboys have a checkered past on converting CB to S and vice versa and they are still at it. We are justified in questioning this continued practice. Why not just draft an established safety straight out of college or hire one out of FA?