Team sees Mukuama as Safety

kskboys

Reaction score
You make a good point. The Cowboys have a checkered past on converting CB to S and vice versa and they are still at it. We are justified in questioning this continued practice. Why not just draft an established safety straight out of college or hire one out of FA?
Stubbornness?

btcutter

Reaction score
You make a good point. The Cowboys have a checkered past on converting CB to S and vice versa and they are still at it. We are justified in questioning this continued practice. Why not just draft an established safety straight out of college or hire one out of FA?

Definition of insanity.... Doing the same thing but expecting different outcome. We got very lucky with Woodie but this is not the same staff as Jimmy Johnson era. Even Jimmy would be hard pressed to pull out rabbit out of the hat.

Watching this FO screwing up over and over again in the past 30 years is infuriating.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Definition of insanity.... Doing the same thing but expecting different outcome. We got very lucky with Woodie but this is not the same staff as Jimmy Johnson era. Even Jimmy would be hard pressed to pull out rabbit out of the hat.

Watching this FO screwing up over and over again in the past 30 years is infuriating.

Maybe. Just hope that our coaches have imagination. My brainstorming earlier about using Cox at SS is an example of the imagination our coaches should have.

btcutter

Reaction score
Maybe. Just hope that our coaches have imagination. My brainstorming earlier about using Cox at SS is an example of the imagination our coaches should have.
I pray for that. Also changes are difficult. It’s not a one session....may take a season.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I really have no other explanation.
No, you hit the nail on the head. There is no other explanation and it's sad because it's been biting the team in the arse for years. It's no secret from the whole league that safety is the Cowboy's weak link.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I pray for that. Also changes are difficult. It’s not a one session....may take a season.

Oh, I'd imagine it'd take a season. I'm just saying, especially with players like Walker, Mukuamu, and Cox who have the ability to succeed at multiple spots, the coaching staff should be flexible enough to try different things. As the song in Zootopia says, try everything!

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Seriously. When was the last successful conversion Dallas had?

Safety especially FS is a lot of instincts and early diagnosis of plays.
Exactly safety position relies more on football iq and instincts

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
They say it wasn't a reach. I'm not gonna be one of these guys to determine if a guy is a reach based on what BSPN or what a blogger says. I hope he works out. Never even seen him play honestly.
I watched his tape today. I think hes better than what Dane had him graded as. Not 3rd round tho

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
This is what really bothers me about the FO. we could have fixed the FS position for years to come just by moving up slightly to pick up TCU S instead of drafting bunch of projects! Once we have the FS now go fix rest of our needs.
But joseph is a better player than moehrig tho

btcutter

Reaction score
But joseph is a better player than moehrig tho
That’s possible if they really did have Joseph higher on their board then Moehrig. What I’m afraid of is that they were dead set on taking a CB in the 2nd round instead of higher rated player who can start for them in years to come. We had immediate need at CB, S, DT, G/OT.
We’ve seen how this FO operated in the past. They took Hill over higher rated S who are now starting for several teams.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
That’s possible if they really did have Joseph higher on their board then Moehrig. What I’m afraid of is that they were dead set on taking a CB in the 2nd round instead of higher rated player who can start for them in years to come. We had immediate need at CB, S, DT, G/OT.
We’ve seen how this FO operated in the past. They took Hill over higher rated S who are now starting for several teams.
Joseph is a better player than moehrig so rated higher in my eyes. And yes the hill pick was an absolute disaster and marinelli should have gotten punched in the forehead for that pick

plymkr

Reaction score
Listening to the Day 3 press conference Stephen just mentioned the team envisions starting Israel Mukuama out at safety. They believe he has the size (mentioned weight) and balls skills to play in that role.

Outside of Parsons, Mukuama may be my favorite pick on defense this draft class. That said, I'm not sure he has the sideline-to-sideline speed to play single high safety. I think he has a role in certain coverage units playing press man or in the red zone. We'll see. He's intriguing.

When you watch his cutups you see his lengthy clearly playing a role in creating turnovers. Too tired now, but will cutup some gifs later.
My most interesting player besides Parsons is J. Cox. He intrigues me. I also like the idea of Mukuama trying at safety.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Listening to the Day 3 press conference Stephen just mentioned the team envisions starting Israel Mukuama out at safety. They believe he has the size (mentioned weight) and balls skills to play in that role.

Outside of Parsons, Mukuama may be my favorite pick on defense this draft class. That said, I'm not sure he has the sideline-to-sideline speed to play single high safety. I think he has a role in certain coverage units playing press man or in the red zone. We'll see. He's intriguing.

When you watch his cutups you see his lengthy clearly playing a role in creating turnovers. Too tired now, but will cutup some gifs later.

This team doesn't believe in a safety. It's obvious they don't care.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Epic drafting. They can't evaluate top safeties worth a squat, so their literal only option is to push corners with safety potential to the position.

Batman1980

Reaction score
Epic drafting. They can't evaluate top safeties worth a squat, so their literal only option is to push corners with safety potential to the position.

Or linebackers. Too lazy to find a natural safety? Find someone at another position and jam them into the safety spot.