Team tank. We’ve been defeated

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
If these high picks like the tankers covet over cheering for the Cowboys were the answer, how come teams like Jets aren’t more successful?

sideon

Reaction score
The Cowboys have won 3 straight and have destroyed their draft pick..

Might as well hope for the best at this point. Dalton dimes was just too good to not get similar results to what we were getting before for us to ever just fall off.

Hopefully we beat NYG next week and somehow the Eagles decide to show up against Washington..

I don’t see this team doing anything in the post season.. I think we hurt our future teams quite a bit by not having that pic.

But what’s done is done..

The worst possible outcome is to have won 4 games in a row and lose our premium pick and not make the playoffs.
The Eagles could wind up with a top 3 pick if they lose and have some help.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
....but not as pungent as the smegma stain of scoring just 9 points against the Eagles in a potential division clinching game last year.......just 3 measly field goals the entire game. Nothing tops that

Except only Cowboy fans will remember that one. It won't be league history.

On the bright side, we *can't* make it in with 6-10. It would have to be 7-9, which Seattle did years ago. But they did win their first game. Don't expect that we will.

Bigdog

Reaction score
The Jags fans were cheering when the Bears were scoring TDs today in their own stadium. That’s got to hurt but hey they clinched the #1 pick for April’s draft.

817Gill

Reaction score
Relax. DAL is the one team with some really solid trade options.
Cooper is a 2nd round, maybe even a late 1st. Dak is a 2nd, 3rd round pick. And Zeke is a 4th round pick. So if DAL wanted to move up, they can. They need to trade away these albatross contracts and then package these picks in some variety and move up.
Or trade the players themselves to a team(s) to move up.
DAL has an entire starting offense without all of these players. You saw it today.

Dalton
Gallup
Lamb
Schultz
Pollard

Trade the 3 bankruptcy contracts, free up space, move up get a QB to groom behind Dalton for a year.
Not one of those players will be traded, book it. When’s the last time Jerry traded a productive player away? They knew they weren’t signing Byron and didn’t trade him that was the perfect scenario.

JustChip

Reaction score
Worst outcome is to be the playoff team with the worst record in hisotry and get curb stomped in the playoffs. That's a stain on the franchise that will never wash off.
Actually, I think it’s far worse to be the #1 seed and not win a home playoff game like the last 2 times they were such. Low expectations in your scenario so nothing truly lost. Not so as a losing #1 seed.

stiletto

Reaction score

Might as well hope for the best at this point. Dalton dimes was just too good to not get similar results to what we were getting before for us to ever just fall off.

Hopefully we beat NYG next week and somehow the Eagles decide to show up against Washington..

I don’t see this team doing anything in the post season.. I think we hurt our future teams quite a bit by not having that pic.

The worst possible outcome is to have won 4 games in a row and lose our premium pick and not make the playoffs.

LOL...Are you British? I mean I am fairly pessimistic most of the time but think about it, we lost the top 5 pick last week. Team tank was over then. Suddenly we blow out the cockroach Eagles and are playing at least admirable football. There is 100% no guarantee a top 10 pick gives this organization an advantage with the Jones family at the helm. Plus it is 2020. ANYTHING can happen, if you don't agree with that, then you are just living and DYING in the past.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score

No worries. This draft had zero premium blue chip defensive prospects. We would be reaching for a good pick up on D in the top 5.

Team tank was always going to disappoint as outside of landing a QB or the top OT, we were not going to be getting true value there.

KOing Philly, with a chance to KO Garrett and the NYG, followed by watching the WFT choke away the division is an incredible, rare triple play.

We win the division and simultaneously taste all our rivals bitter tears.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I understand why some people want to tank but I just can’t pull for the Cowboys to lose.

I mean, if Dallas loses I can certainly look at the bright side and be glad that it increases the draft pick, but I still think what is best for the team is what is happening at the end of this season. What it means for the team to be playing so much better as the season goes on is much better for the franchise than just getting a higher pick.

These last few weeks shows that McCarthy has the team’s attention, that he has them headed in the right direction and that what he’s doing with the team is starting to take hold and bear fruit. That is worth more than picking 10 picks sooner. The players that will be here next year will have more confidence in the coaches and schemes, and will be going into the offseason in a way, way different frame of mind than if they would have continued to lose out.

We’ve all seen it in all the years that we’ve been watching the NFL. There have been teams with new coaches that have started out poorly and then as the year goes on, the players start to get what the new staff wants and begin to understand how to run the new schemes. They finish on a roll and no matter if they make the playoffs or not, fans can just tell that the team is becoming a much better team and that things look up for the team. Miami did it last year.

When it happens that way, the team almost always come back and have much better seasons the next year. The players know it and respond to it.

The way Dallas is ending this season means an awful lot when thinking about where the coaching staff is taking the team. It is about the best news we could get that Dallas has cut their mistakes, started getting some turnovers, kept their penalties and turnovers low and frankly, look like an entire new team. What that means going forward is really good news for the Cowboys.

Besides, unless you’re talking about a player like Lawrence (that will go first overall), picking at 8 isn’t that much different than, say, 16.

Think about this: other than the first round pick... the Super Bowl winning team chooses one pick ahead of the worst team for the rest of the draft. The super bowl winner picks at 32 and the worst team picks at 33. Then 64 and 65, and so on.

Higher picks are an advantage but not that much of one. Becoming a better team at the end of this year will mean much more to the Dallas Cowboys.

817Gill

Reaction score
Think about how many years teams like Cleveland, Miami, Cincinnati, and Washington have picked high. Did that propel them to the Super Bowl? Picking high doesn't necessarily mean you'll be better the next year. Losing can be a culture....just like winning.
The thing about those teams is they constantly are in search of a franchise QB and pillar players to surround him. We are in an eerily similar position as 2015. We have a franchise QB, ample offensive talent under contract, and a few defensive youngsters to build with.

A top 5 pick and trade down would do wonders for a franchise with its roster where ours is, as opposed to a team like Jacksonville that needs 10-12 starters to even get to average. We could have a 2015 to 2016-esque turnaround next year. Teams with solid rosters benefit much more from top 5 pick anomaly years than the constant bottom-dwellers.

Of course we could also have a 2019 Miami season where we fight hard and win at the end of the year and get a lower pick only to still be able to pick Farley or Horn. Regardless teams like us with a good amount of talent in place benefit much more from a top 5 pick in every round than a cellar dweller would.

Jipper

Reaction score
I love the defeat

I have been on team tank but said a month ago if we had a shot at the playoffs I’d get behind them

Well here we are.....shockingly improbable but a win and a Washington loss and we will be a 7-9 playoff bound team

I’m all in now, gonna be a fun week waiting on the game

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Actually, I think it’s far worse to be the #1 seed and not win a home playoff game like the last 2 times they were such. Low expectations in your scenario so nothing truly lost. Not so as a losing #1 seed.

We lost to better teams. We had nothing on the dline in 2014. The offense was dominant, but the dline was just bad. 2016 was a game lost by coaching.

But at least both were games.

If we make a game of a playoff berth, even if we lose, that's fine. But my scenario was a "curb stomping", which is a realistic possibility against a good team.

Seattle made it one year with a 7-9, but they won their first playoff game. I doubt we can match that. We're probably going to take over for worst playoff team ever, even if we don't get curb stomped.

ShaneFalco

Reaction score
The thing about those teams is they constantly are in search of a franchise QB and pillar players to surround him. We are in an eerily similar position as 2015. We have a franchise QB, ample offensive talent under contract, and a few defensive youngsters to build with.

A top 5 pick and trade down would do wonders for a franchise with its roster where ours is, as opposed to a team like Jacksonville that needs 10-12 starters to even get to average. We could have a 2015 to 2016-esque turnaround next year. Teams with solid rosters benefit much more from top 5 pick anomaly years than the constant bottom-dwellers.

Of course we could also have a 2019 Miami season where we fight hard and win at the end of the year and get a lower pick only to still be able to pick Farley or Horn. Regardless teams like us with a good amount of talent in place benefit much more from a top 5 pick in every round than a cellar dweller would.

I like Dalton as much as the next guy but at this point in his career, he’s not a franchise QB.
DAL needs to draft a franchise QB.

817Gill

Reaction score
You and I actually agree on the whole tank thing. It’s dumb mainly because of two things. 1)losing on purpose is grounds to lose your sports card. 2) We draft so horrible there’s no difference between 4-20. Where we disagree is you don’t have to be such a douchebag to people about it. More people would hear you.
We’ve drafted the second most pro bowlers in the last 10 years and are top 7 in every drafting metric in that time as well. Not sure where you’re getting the “horrible drafting” thing from lol.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2020/nfl-drafting-efficiency-2010-2019

817Gill

Reaction score
I like Dalton as much as the next guy but at this point in his career, he’s not a franchise QB.
DAL needs to draft a franchise QB.
Oh I’m talking about Dak, he’ll be here for at least a year but most likely longer.

stiletto

Reaction score
I love the defeat

I have been on team tank but said a month ago if we had a shot at the playoffs I’d get behind them

Well here we are.....shockingly improbable but a win and a Washington loss and we will be a 7-9 playoff bound team

I’m all in now, gonna be a fun week waiting on the game

I know... this isn't 1992 when you think 10 years forward about being a dynasty. Those days are GONE... I don't hate people for thinking that way, it's just old school thinking that isn't realistic without perfect conditions.

817Gill

Reaction score
....but not as pungent as the smegma stain of scoring just 9 points against the Eagles in a potential division clinching game last year.......just 3 measly field goals the entire game. Nothing tops that
Lose that game and fire Garrett/draft Lamb? One of the best losses we could’ve had IMO. We go to the playoffs we would have not only kept the Clapper but Philly would have CeeDee right now and we’d have drafted God knows who as Chaisson would’ve been gone too.

For Dak evaluation I get bringing up the loss, for the betterment of the franchise we are fortunate in hindsight we lost that pointless game.

Hardline

Reaction score
If these high picks like the tankers covet over cheering for the Cowboys were the answer, how come teams like Jets aren’t more successful?
This has been covered as nausium .
The Jets are the Jets. They will do Jet things.
There's a reason the worse teams get the higher draft slots.
We went from 3-13 to 13- in one year with high draft picks.