Terry Bradshaw's nugget on Dak's contract negotiation

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I think Jerry is trying the old Steinbrenner approach. He thought that if he made his employees always feel uncomfortable, he'd get the best out of them. I don't think it's going to work with players. But we'll see.

Besides that, how do you go about pulling the plug now? Release him? Trade him? Tell the coach who to start?
I agree, it really feels like Jerry is using outdated methods to motivate his guys. It's just a different world today and I think players (At least starting caliber ones) know they are going to get paid in this league regardless.

IDK exactly how you would move on at this point, I think the Cowboys should have had a deadline put in place before free agency started this year. I would imagine it's pretty tough to trade him at this point in the offseason. Not impossible, but is Dak learning a new offense on an abbreviated offseason worth it for teams to give up something of value for him? Would Dak actually be open to signing an extension with a new team or would he rather wait it out and hit free agency? How many teams can work him into their cap situations at this point? It becomes quite tricky now.

A release is maybe the only option they would have but of course they let a starting caliber QB walk for nothing. I will say that if I'm McCarthy though I don't hate that route depending on if I see anything with Lance and depending on what his end goal is. I have to think year 1 of starting Lance would have some growing pains even in what would be considered a successful season for him, and your odds of making a run are lower. On the other hand I would think expectations are significantly lower and just sneaking into the playoffs with the 7 seed and some progression from your QB probably gets him an extension in Dallas. Who knows if that's accurate, you never really know with Jerry, but it is interesting to think about.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
If they truly believed that and decided to move on I would have no problems getting behind the change. My issue is if they don't think Dak can lead them on a deep playoff run why wait to move on? Pull the plug already and give Lance a year to sink or swim. That way either you've found another QB option or you're drafting high next year.

Letting Dak play this out is the worst thing they can do in my opinion. Sign him or move him.
:clap:It's hard to imagine what they are trying to accomplish waiting. Now in their defense, it could very well be they have already made their drop-dead offer and Dak is refusing to accept. We have no way of knowing if it's a competitive offer, but I guess they would leak it if was.

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
All of the talking heads said the same thing last time he was a free agent. Then they are the first to rip us when we lose. They want us to re sign him cause they know it keeps us mediocre

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
:clap:It's hard to imagine what they are trying to accomplish waiting. Now in their defense, it could very well be they have already made their drop-dead offer and Dak is refusing to accept. We have no way of knowing if it's a competitive offer, but I guess they would leak it if was.
I think that is very possible where the Cowboys made what they feel is a legitimate offer (and I'm sure it was low), Dak shot it down and the two are just playing a game of chicken at this point. Still in my mind it's shame on the Cowboys for letting it get to that point. If Dak is out of your price range thats fine, but it's time to rip the band-aid now instead of holding this team hostage for 2024 only to see him walk for a comp pick.

In my opinion they should have set a firm deadline with Daks agent for sometime back in March to get a deal done. If not they tell him that he needs to give them a list of teams he would accept a trade to or the alternative is either hes a june 1st cut or prepare to be the teams 2nd string QB for the season.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I agree, it really feels like Jerry is using outdated methods to motivate his guys. It's just a different world today and I think players (At least starting caliber ones) know they are going to get paid in this league regardless.

IDK exactly how you would move on at this point, I think the Cowboys should have had a deadline put in place before free agency started this year. I would imagine it's pretty tough to trade him at this point in the offseason. Not impossible, but is Dak learning a new offense on an abbreviated offseason worth it for teams to give up something of value for him? Would Dak actually be open to signing an extension with a new team or would he rather wait it out and hit free agency? How many teams can work him into their cap situations at this point? It becomes quite tricky now.

A release is maybe the only option they would have but of course they let a starting caliber QB walk for nothing. I will say that if I'm McCarthy though I don't hate that route depending on if I see anything with Lance and depending on what his end goal is. I have to think year 1 of starting Lance would have some growing pains even in what would be considered a successful season for him, and your odds of making a run are lower. On the other hand I would think expectations are significantly lower and just sneaking into the playoffs with the 7 seed and some progression from your QB probably gets him an extension in Dallas. Who knows if that's accurate, you never really know with Jerry, but it is interesting to think about.
:clap: again (lol)

I might add a deadline for resolution before the draft. Get him signed or traded and yes we all know about the NTC. I would have made it very clear if he refused to sign or drop NTC we were moving on with or without him for 2024 season. As mentioned, Lance is the new starter .....we have something in him or likely drafting high enough to find a replacement.

Blitzen

Reaction score
They were not ok. Dak had 45 of the rushing yards. I find it unbelievable that there are fans who said the running game was ok.

The other Dallas rushers combined for 78 yards on 19 carries (4.1 YPC). That’s okay yardage per carry. Look at league output on YPC for the season. It’s hard to run it over the other team in the playoffs. Dallas got way behind and had to start passing it a lot more. KC slogged their way versus Baltimore and had to rely on Pat and the passing game just to move the football at times (rushed for 74 yards on 26 carries not by Pat 2.8 YPC and 15 yards on 6 carries by Pat 2.5 YPC).

I’m not saying that a great running game is not beneficial to the offense. I’m saying that teams have to produce yards/first downs/points by sometimes relying on the passing game much more heavily in the playoffs. It happens. Sometimes. It’s not all that rare. The QB and passing game must be sharp and not turn the ball over for it to even be somewhat viable. You are stuck on the absurd angle that team’s offense can only produce in the playoffs when having a great running game. I’ve already given evidence that the Cowboys rush game was superior or equal to offenses that won and produced just in this past postseason.

conner01

Reaction score
He will, but he isn't worth it. But that wouldn't be our problem no more.
Some fans argue only one QB is worth paying but with 32 teams you’re gonna have 10-12 guys always making really high salaries. And contracts aren’t about a ranking system so much as just the shear fact that half the teams don’t have a really good QB

Flamma

Reaction score

Right. The top three are going to get paid by someone. The best we can hope for is that they take this as a challenge.

I would agree that trading him isn't an option now. Every team either already has a QB, or not enough cap space. With maybe the exception of Tennessee.

McCarthy is stuck here. Even if he sees something in Lance, his hands are tied. He can't release Dak, and he can't start Lance over Dak. He has to start the player that gives them the best chance to win now.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Some fans argue only one QB is worth paying but with 32 teams you’re gonna have 10-12 guys always making really high salaries. And contracts aren’t about a ranking system so much as just the shear fact that half the teams don’t have a really good QB
Only the 10 or so guys that can win SBs should get paid: players who got there on their rookie deals. Players like Dak who have never sniffed contention, and are late enough in his career that he would be a major statistical outlier if he managed to make a CTG should not be paid.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
The other Dallas rushers combined for 78 yards on 19 carries (4.1 YPC). That’s okay yardage per carry. Look at league output on YPC for the season. It’s hard to run it over the other team in the playoffs. Dallas got way behind and had to start passing it a lot more. KC slogged their way versus Baltimore and had to rely on Pat and the passing game just to move the football at times (rushed for 74 yards on 26 carries not by Pat 2.8 YPC and 15 yards on 6 carries by Pat 2.5 YPC).

I’m not saying that a great running game is not beneficial to the offense. I’m saying that teams have to produce yards/first downs/points by sometimes relying on the passing game much more heavily in the playoffs. It happens. Sometimes. It’s not all that rare. The QB and passing game must be sharp and not turn the ball over for it to even be somewhat viable. You are stuck on the absurd angle that team’s offense can only produce in the playoffs when having a great running game. I’ve already given evidence that the Cowboys rush game was superior or equal to offenses that won and produced just in this past postseason.
Blah, blah, blah. You can’t win in the playoffs unless you can run the ball and stop the run. The Cowboys could do neither last year.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
I think that is very possible where the Cowboys made what they feel is a legitimate offer (and I'm sure it was low), Dak shot it down and the two are just playing a game of chicken at this point. Still in my mind it's shame on the Cowboys for letting it get to that point. If Dak is out of your price range thats fine, but it's time to rip the band-aid now instead of holding this team hostage for 2024 only to see him walk for a comp pick.

In my opinion they should have set a firm deadline with Daks agent for sometime back in March to get a deal done. If not they tell him that he needs to give them a list of teams he would accept a trade to or the alternative is either hes a june 1st cut or prepare to be the teams 2nd string QB for the season.
Todd France is doing the telling. Jerry Jones is not in a position to demand anything from Dak or his agent. The Cowboys’ options are cut him now, sign him now, don’t sign or cut him and let him become a free agent next March. Jerry Jones knows the ramifications of each of those options. There is not going to be a trade. There is not going to be a discount.

conner01

Reaction score
Only the 10 or so guys that can win SBs should get paid: players who got there on their rookie deals. Players like Dak who have never sniffed contention, and are late enough in his career that he would be a major statistical outlier if he managed to make a CTG should not be paid.
QB’s don’t win SB, teams do. Manning didn’t win till he had a more complete team. Elway didn’t win till he had an elite run game. QB’s who weren’t even top 10 caliber QB’s have won because of the team around them.

Blitzen

Reaction score
Blah, blah, blah. You can’t win in the playoffs unless you can run the ball and stop the run. The Cowboys could do neither last year.

I proved that you can win and produce points (in the playoffs) with similar rushing production as the Cowboys had vs Green Bay (in the playoffs). Already said it helps the offense if the run game produces at a high level. You’re just trying to avoid saying that a team’s offense can produce enough points to win playoff games even with the rushing production the Cowboys’ had against Green Bay. However-as illustrated that is what happened at least twice just this past postseason.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I proved that you can win and produce points (in the playoffs) with similar rushing production as the Cowboys had vs Green Bay (in the playoffs). Already said it helps the offense if the run game produces at a high level. You’re just trying to avoid saying that a team’s offense can produce enough points to win playoff games even with the rushing production the Cowboys’ had against Green Bay. However-as illustrated that is what happened at least twice just this past postseason.
You didn’t prove anything dude.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Even if he wanted 50M per year, Dallas still owes 95M to the cap that would have to be added to any new contract. If it was a 4 year 50m contract, they're looking at spreading out 295M in a 5 year time span. Or leave him at 55M now and spread out 240M over 4 years. The quarterback simply does not justify the price tag. But hey, if Jerry has no problem with Dak being a 55M cap hit this year, he'll have no problem with him being just as much going forward.
Jerry created the cap hit and the $40M owed next year. Not Dak's problem.

Chasing6

Reaction score
These talking head make me laugh. Sure, they say stuff like this now, but when Jerry gives Dak $60 million or more they will say he isn't worth it and criticize Jerry for giving him too much money. This is what they do because they talk and move on. They never have to worry about the consequences of their decisions.

We are all critical of Jerry and Stephen so there is no sense beating a dead horse. But I do think if they have decided to re-sign him they should get on with it. If they have decided not to re-sign him then they should cut ties now and move on. These delays with Dak, CeeDee and even Micah to a certain extent, are never fruitful.

IMO, being decisive is good leadership. Get their bottom line numbers and then decide if it makes sense to pay them. If not, say goodbye and trade them. I know Dak has a no trade clause but something tells me he would waive it under certain circumstances. The important thing is, if Dak is not the future in Dallas, then the future should begin now. No sense playing in in 2024 knowing he will be gone in 2025. Just make it happen. This should have happened a month before the draft.
They have been decisive. They have decided to do nothing and wait it out. They want CD and Micah to play on their 5th year options. By delaying Dak, they have a built in excuse for not extending CD.

They have made it clear the priority order is Dak, CD and Micah. So be delaying Dak, they delay all 3.

Jerry is most likely preying that Trance learned how to play QB during the off-season some how.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I've always been a Dak fan, I think it's a great story for a 4th round pick to have an impressive career starting from his first game as a rookie.

Dak has some great attributes but he also has some limitations. He's not he kind of QB that can carry a team on his shoulders. He's the kind of quarterback who can win when the team is doing their jobs.

You don't pay a quarterback the league's top salaries when the team has nothing to show that would justify it. Regular season games do not het you the top salaries in the league. At least, it shouldn't.

The type of salary that his agent is leveraging for would empty the talent support that Dak needs and has always been given. No other QB since 2016 has more Pro Bowlers and 1st team All-Pros on their offense.

If Dak was smart then he would lower his demands and thus raise his probability of the team winning a championship.
You do realize the Cowboys have the biggest fan base correct. Pretty sure Cowboys fans vote for Cowboys players to make the Pro Bowl.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Make it incentive based:
35 mil guaranteed turns into 45 mil with a divisional round victory turns into 55 mil with a conference championship....
and then I woke up. lol
Sure because his agent would agree to that.

Why not just put him on a vet minimum with incentives.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Ok, so the defense isn't Daks fault. Let's get rid of the weak links on defense and let's gid of the weak link on offense....Dak.
Really funny how CD became the best WR in the NFL with such a bad QB. If we had a real QB, CD would have had 2,800 yards and 34 TD's.