Tevin Coleman's 40

tm1119

Reaction score
I don't think it's just people on the "Coleman Train". It was reported that something like 27 NFL representatives were there to watch him work out. Because he didn't run in the combine, I think there was a lot of interest.

I get that....I just put 0 stock into pro day 40 times. I see 4.38 and automatically assume it was more like a 4.45. Which, don't get me wrong, is still really fast, but was anyone really questioning wether Coleman had enough speed before this? Just seems like a lot of overreaction to me.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Who will be the better RB in 2015, Tevin Coleman or Darren McFadden?

Interesting question. Depends on where Coleman goes and if he can pick up the Offense. If he were drafted by the Cowboys, I'd guess Coleman but then again, McFadden may be like a man possessed running behind the Cowboy OL, after having served time in Oakland.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I get that....I just put 0 stock into pro day 40 times. I see 4.38 and automatically assume it was more like a 4.45. Which, don't get me wrong, is still really fast, but was anyone really questioning wether Coleman had enough speed before this? Just seems like a lot of overreaction to me.

I think the Pro Scouts already new that the 4.5 numbers were probably not factual but still, you want to see him actually do it.

reddyuta

Reaction score
Dmac ran 4.33 too.these guys with upright styles have trouble with the dirty yards,frankly Coleman will be a waste here as we have a bigger and faster version already here.

ColeBeasley11

BruceCarter54
Reaction score
Dmac ran 4.33 too.these guys with upright styles have trouble with the dirty yards,frankly Coleman will be a waste here as we have a bigger and faster version already here.

Mcfadden isn't good, I don't see how ppl have hope. Coleman would be a great pickup, only problem is 27 is too high for him and he's gone by 60.

reddyuta

Reaction score
Mcfadden isn't good, I don't see how ppl have hope. Coleman would be a great pickup, only problem is 27 is too high for him and he's gone by 60.

Dmac used to run like the wind at Arkansas,one of the best college RBs i have seen.his style(same as Colemans) doesnt translate well to the pro game.

ColeBeasley11

BruceCarter54
Reaction score
Dmac used to run like the wind at Arkansas,one of the best college RBs i have seen.his style(same as Colemans) doesnt translate well to the pro game.

Ya they definitely look similar in running styles, I thought injuries slowed him down more then anything. But that could be too do with the upright running.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I think the running style of DMac or Coleman are fine. I think it has more to do with the scheme and the talent around them. Murray had an upright running style. Eric Dickerson, George Rodgers, lots of guys have had an upright running style and have done well in the NFL IMO.

jday

Reaction score
I think lately with Jerry, there will be takers because he's willing to take a little (or even a lot) less compared to other recent comparable trades by other teams.

So if normally dropping from down 5-10 slots from 27 would cost the team trading up a 4th and 5th, Jerry might take the 4th if he's real confident he can still get a player in tier group. In his eyes, it's a free extra 4th rounder, for example.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree but that's what he's done the last two trades he's made in the 1st and 2nd rounds (Frederick trade down and Lawrence trade up)....give away a bit more than usual or pay a bit more than usual to be sure he finds a trade partner.

My only qualm would be that with so many good backs, Coleman could actually fall all the way to us in the 2nd without trading. And if he didn't, there would still be a bunch of good backs available.

I would not take him at 27.

But that's just me

I think the fall off after Gurley, Coleman and Gordon is much more pronounced than most believe. If the Cowboys are not able to land at least one of these 3, I'll be pretty disappointed...and I don't believe any of the 3 will slide to 60.

locked&loaded

Reaction score
206 at his Pro Day.

I havent seen his weight listed in any of the pro day articles, but that is what he was at the combine. In any case, that wasnt what I was asking.

Gordon is 215, Coleman is 206 i guess. But in no way does Gordon only look 9 lbs bigger. Gordons shoulders are bigger, arms, chest and legs, all bigger.

Reaction score
I posted this in another Coleman thread, but bears repeating here:

Not to piss on the bonfire here, but Coleman had a sesamoid bone in his foot removed and a tendon reattached to another bone just a few months ago. I had the same surgery to my sesamoid bone (I played college football) and have never been the same. Neither was Calvin Hill who had the same surgery (so did Heath Shuler but he always sucked). The sesamoid is a free floating bone under the ball of your foot. When mine was taken out, my big toe lost its strength and range of motion. May not sound like much, but your big toe is the last thing that pushes when you run. As a result, my left leg lost the "pop" it used to have. And it led to me overcompensating, and having right knee surgery a few years later for torn cartilage. Of course I was never an elite athlete, had the surgery in my 30's, and Coleman had it at age 21. So this result is not going to necessarily happen to Coleman, but never underestimate how significant a foot surgery -- and this one in particular -- can be on a running back long term. Buyer beware.

tm1119

Reaction score

I'm probably not as high on McFadden as you so I'd probably take Coleman if all things are equal. But of course all things aren't equal, so if you're asking me if I'd rather have Coleman as a top 35 pick or MCFadden it's not even close. I'd roll the dice on McFadden/Williams without thinking twice

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score

I understand where you're coming from and I feel the same way... but speaking for myself, his 40 time had nothing to do with what I said or how I feel about him. I liked him before he ran. As you said, we all knew he was fast anyway. His 40 just confirmed that for us all.

Reactions: BAT

jday

Reaction score

It depends on the team that Coleman lands on. McFadden could be great by merit of the Cowboys offensive line and should the increased emphasis on running continue in 2015. Coleman could suck by merit of landing on a terrible team.

However, if the Cowboys land Coleman, I would think Coleman would have the better year simply because he is the more complete back and based on what I have read, is not made of glass.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong, but don't they generally add at least a .1 to a hand held time when comparing it to an electric time? So even a 4.37 would be a 4.47 for comparison sake? I think everyone pretty much assumed he had good speed so I am not sure how this really changes much.

He is one of those guys that seems too rich for a number one pick but won't last till our second rounder. Hoping we don't reach. Maybe trade down if he is a target. As many say, we have a similar back already on the roster.

JBS

Reaction score
Let's all blow our wads over a running backs 40 time

At his pro day

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I like Coleman I think he is the most complete RB in the draft however only way I see him in Dallas is if Dallas moves out of the 27th spot and picks up the extra 2nd rd pick. If that happens then I think Coleman could be selected by Dallas.

jday

Reaction score
Definitely like him in the second.

As this offseason has progressed, I've liked Coleman more and more. I'd be perfectly happy with him in Dallas. Gurley, Gordon, Coleman... some really good choices there and I'd be fine with any of those 3.

I'm with you on this. I have watched various highlights of all the other rb's available and I really am not sold on their ability as 3 down back's. And I'm not crazy about the idea of the Cowboys taking a committee approach. The more I read, the higher Coleman climb's my petcat list. Gurley's injury concern's me. Gordon carried the ball alot last year and doesn't exactly have the top-end speed you would like in a RB. Coleman on the other hand, look's like more of a complete back, doesn't have the injury concerns and based on the aforementioned 40, may even be faster than Gurley, which was very surprising considering Coleman's size. But like you, any of those 3 would be awesome, especially if the Cowboys are somehow able to pull one of them in the second.

jday

Reaction score

If the Cowboys didn't have a legitimate need in this area, you would be right about this being an over-reaction.